Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: thermactor how can you tell a repro - Thu May 05 2005 01:20 AM
Hey guys and gals,

I came across this on eBay, and started wondering... If this is from the 90s, how can I tell it from one from the 60s from just pictures?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=35682&item=7153138186&rd=1

Thanks,
Wes
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: how can you tell a repro - Thu May 05 2005 01:27 AM
WES, I THINK MAYBE THE ORIGINALS HAD BRASS GROMMETS AT THE MOUNTING HOLES? WOULD MAKE SENSE!

HAPPY COLLECTING!

DOC @ TAG/WEST
Posted By: thermactor Re: how can you tell a repro - Thu May 05 2005 02:10 AM
I see... Wow... That's going to be really hard to tell in some of these auction pictures... I guess I should go for the ones with rust and missing porcelain Fits my budget better anyway I guess :P

Thanks Doc
Wes
Posted By: Tokheim Re: how can you tell a repro - Thu May 05 2005 10:04 AM
Not sure that the real ones have grommets?

That repop on thermactor's link does not have the "circle R" reg. trademark in the lower right of the shield but the real ones I've seen do.
Posted By: Jarvis Re: how can you tell a repro - Thu May 05 2005 10:24 AM
a lot of the backs were stamped repop. It looks to good and to cheap. I would wait... these are really easy to come by.
Posted By: Signal Gas & Oil Re: how can you tell a repro - Thu May 05 2005 12:48 PM
Real common pump plate even if it's real. The originals I've seen havn't had the gormmets. Brass or silver color doesn't tell you anything. Texaco pump plates came with both. Lastgas Bob Drake has a lot of Sinclair stuff and might be able to help on this one. Lot's of repop ones out there but an original is worth about $50 tops. My 2 cents. Ted

------------------
Ted & Pam Roach
Lodi CA.
pca-west.org
vintage-logos
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: how can you tell a repro - Thu May 05 2005 09:25 PM
Sinclair pump plates didn't have grommets. The only Sinclair plates I've seen with the circle R are the green letter diesels. The gasoline and red letter diesel don't have that mark. I've seen repops that appear to be a dead on match to the originals. I've never seen one marked reproduction on the back, but some might have been.
Posted By: wfort39663 Re: how can you tell a repro - Fri May 06 2005 02:28 AM
I compared an original and a repro at a show and you could feel more relief on the lettering on the original sign. The repro was very smooth to the touch and you could barely feel the lettering. Neither sign had grommets. Some originals are also marked with a ink stamped date on the back such as SPS60 or SPS62. Just looking at a photo of the front of a sign it is impossible to tell an original from a repro.
Posted By: Don Beaver Re: how can you tell a repro - Fri May 06 2005 03:14 AM
They are reproductions as this guy has sold about 50 of them in the last year. Look at all of the other signs he has that are repros also. Hope this helps
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk