Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Zai Can I get an opinion on if this is real or fake? - Wed Feb 17 2021 12:17 AM
Just started down the path of wanting an older style sign, came across this one on eBay (and I know there are so many fakes out there) but only interested in it because of the design and artwork, etc, but I was hoping if I was to ask here and post some pictures if I would be able to get an opinion on if it's actually possibly real and worth buying, or if it's most likely a fake.

Thanks for any help!

Also, I hope I did this right, been awhile since I've actually used a forum, haha, so hopefully I put the images in correctly

Attached picture esso1.jpg
Attached picture esso2.jpg
Attached picture esso3.jpg
Attached picture esso4.jpg
Posted By: Tankar Re: Can I get an opinion on if this is real or fake? - Wed Feb 17 2021 02:16 AM
Extremely fake stay off of ebay to much junk
Phony , made to deceive.
Posted By: Zai Re: Can I get an opinion on if this is real or fake? - Wed Feb 17 2021 03:48 AM
Thank you for replying and letting me know. Did Esso ever have a sign like this design in use, just for the sake of curiosity? Would love to find a real one if they did, but honestly wouldn't know where to look for one if they did, still new to the sign world, but know enough to be skeptical of everything I come across, and I will definitely avoid eBay for those kinds of things.
buy from reputable dealers/collectors, do your homework

"BUY QUALITY" even if you pay too much .. ... cool
Posted By: BrianH Re: Can I get an opinion on if this is real or fake? - Wed Feb 17 2021 05:30 PM
I've been in this hobby right at 5 years now. I didn't buy my first eBay sign until I'd been in the hobby for THREE YEARS (and I've only bought ONE off of there). That's how long it took for me to feel like I knew enough to be comfortable buying something off eBay. I still don't buy the smaller pump plates off eBay...too easy to get fooled.

My advice is to buy from the guys on here and to go to as many of the reputable shows you can to look at the real thing up close. There is no substitute for that. If you can go with a more experienced collector who can point out stuff to you, even better. After all, there are a few dealers selling fake stuff (knowing and unknowingly) even at the better shows.
Posted By: Tankar Re: Can I get an opinion on if this is real or fake? - Wed Feb 17 2021 08:16 PM
I have been at it 40 years and still learning. 🤪
Posted By: Zai Re: Can I get an opinion on if this is real or fake? - Thu Feb 18 2021 04:06 AM
Definitely appreciate the advice, haha, can tell this is one of those things that takes years to learn, but never quite master :D

I'm not hugely into the collecting scene, but am definitely interested in a couple of brands at least, the Esso with the Tiger definitely would be a nice wall hanger if I ever found a real one, of which, did they make a real version like that one, or were all of those in that style fakes?

The other one I wouldn't mind having something from is the Husky Gasoline / Oil

I'll have to keep an eye out and maybe someone on the forums might have something on the lower price end for sale at some point, of might be able to point me somewhere that I would be able to at least find authentic ones.

I can tell there is definitely a lot I need to learn, and this is a very good place to get advice, very happy I came across this forum.
Posted By: Zai Re: Can I get an opinion on if this is real or fake? - Thu Feb 18 2021 04:20 AM
And I know eBay is fully of fakes and nothing is to be trusted, but just for the heck of it, this was the other one that I saw, for 300$ seller has 100% rating, and even states they have a no questions asked refund policy in their description, which could mean either they are either honest, or use it as a tactic, haha, so just for my curiosity and since this was the other one I was looking at but forgot to post it in my original post, how fake is this one? :D

Attached picture husk1.jpg
Attached picture husk2.jpg
Posted By: Tankar Re: Can I get an opinion on if this is real or fake? - Thu Feb 18 2021 11:56 AM
Junk
Posted By: BrianH Re: Can I get an opinion on if this is real or fake? - Thu Feb 18 2021 12:09 PM
If you like tigers, this is the one to have.

Attached picture 20200918_144433.jpg
Posted By: Tankar Re: Can I get an opinion on if this is real or fake? - Thu Feb 18 2021 02:42 PM
I may have to make me a stand Brian. Love that sign.
Posted By: BrianH Re: Can I get an opinion on if this is real or fake? - Thu Feb 18 2021 07:22 PM
Thanks John...it's definitely in my top 3 favorite signs in my collection. Especially with the mostly-original stand.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk