Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: DWSheffer Marathon Sign.... - Fri May 15 2020 05:55 PM
Can anyone tell me if this is an original sign or not? I wouldn't want to support this junk/repro seller but I'm curious to know if the sign is original or not. I try and keep photos of all the original Marathon items I see for future reference. It's a design I've never seen for sale before, but I have not collected Marathon items as long as Mobil. Obviously there are some who like this seller and I realize they do/did sell some original items, but like it or not they are now regularly ripping people off but I digress.
Thanks for any comments on the sign,
Darin

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Large-Vintage-Marathon-Motor-Oil-Gas-Station-48-Metal-Sign/143602852684

Attached picture Marathon.jpg
Posted By: huskybob Re: Marathon Sign.... - Fri May 15 2020 09:59 PM
Even if it's an original sign after checking their neutral and negative feedback I don't see why anyone would deal with them.
Posted By: gasgeezer Re: Marathon Sign.... - Sat May 16 2020 12:31 AM
If you look at their other auctions you will notice many other 48" signs with the same rusty back. and mounting holes. They also somehow disable the click to enlarge feature somehow so you cant inspect anything closely. I wouldnt spend a dead skunk on any of their junk!
Posted By: Coops 427 Re: Marathon Sign.... - Sat May 16 2020 12:59 AM
What a joke. Or what about this sign: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Large-Vint...-Oil-Fishing-48-Metal-Sign/133404140303. It's already up to $1025. They have been selling on Ebay for years and I can't imagine the 100's of fake signs they have circulated in the hobby. Click on this link and they just about own most of the listings: https://www.collectorsweekly.com/petroliana/overview/auctions
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: Marathon Sign.... - Sat May 16 2020 01:07 AM
Thanks guys....I didn't look at their other items as I knew they are heavy reproduction dealers. I do see where they have a chit-ton of different 48" signs now with rusty backs, so that pretty well answers my question. As I said, I don't know what all original Marathon items are out there and with the seller occasionally mixing original items in with all the junk I wasn't sure. I also would not support them regardless of if it were real or not, as I do not condone their practices. With feedback like their's I cannot believe the sheeple are still bidding on their stuff. Poor packing, no communications, etc.....no one I'd EVER want to deal with regardless what they are selling.
Darin
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: Marathon Sign.... - Sat May 16 2020 01:10 AM
Jeez you're right Matt. The majority of listings on the collectors weekly page you link to is her smiling mug........smiling all the way to the bank!
Posted By: advertologist Re: Marathon Sign.... - Mon May 25 2020 02:43 AM
hammer down: 565. - .. ... cool
Posted By: johntxpumps Re: Marathon Sign.... - Fri Jun 05 2020 09:14 PM
They are known for selling FAKES
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: Marathon Sign.... - Fri Jun 05 2020 10:11 PM
Yes, I don't think that fact has been disputed by anyone on this site......
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk