Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Mike M. I finally gave in to my addiction - Tue Jun 03 2014 12:36 AM
The Short story goes like this... A dozen plus years ago after the Iowa Gas auction as I packed the back of my Chevy pickup full, Ron Bettin told me "young man, it will only be a few years till your coming with a trailer". Well I held out as long as I could telling myself that my 20' enclosed car trailer was too big for what I usually get from an auction or show.
But Too many times of packing globes, signs, neon and other things in the back seat or box of my truck. (and wondering if it would still be there when I got back) And then having stuff out in the weather during travels, I decided it was time for a trailer Just big enough to keep me out of trouble.....LOL

Oh and as long as I'm buying and selling out of the trailer, I figured a little advertising wouldn't hurt.

The Gas station photo come's from a 1920's/ 30's 8" x 10" Negative I got years back that I had to send to a special company in Colorado to develop and they made a file large enough for the trailer.
And the best part.... The photo of the Pure Oil cottage gas station is from my home town of White Bear Lake, Mn.

Attached picture trailer4sm.jpg
Attached picture trailer5.jpg
Attached picture trailer7.jpg
Attached picture trailer6.jpg
Posted By: grabber Re: I finally gave in to my addiction - Tue Jun 03 2014 12:41 AM
Love it! Awesome!
Posted By: Gas stuff.com Re: I finally gave in to my addiction - Tue Jun 03 2014 12:54 AM
Won't be long Mike,you'll want a bigger trailer, I know from experience ! Looks great!
Posted By: st.rod Re: I finally gave in to my addiction - Tue Jun 03 2014 12:55 AM
Very Cool! Wish I could do it.

Larry
Posted By: advertologist Re: I finally gave in to my addiction - Tue Jun 03 2014 01:05 AM
looking good, traveling in style... cool
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: I finally gave in to my addiction - Tue Jun 03 2014 01:13 AM
Hah! We'll be able to spot that easy enough!
Hope it isn't too clean to haul my gas pump!
Posted By: azjockey Re: I finally gave in to my addiction - Tue Jun 03 2014 01:24 AM
Great job with the trailer. The PURE station really makes stand out
Love It
Posted By: arw Re: I finally gave in to my addiction - Tue Jun 03 2014 01:31 AM
Very cool, classy and the boom packers sticker .? Lol
Awesome job
Posted By: BryceG Re: I finally gave in to my addiction - Tue Jun 03 2014 01:56 AM
very nice customization!

i know the feeling of deciding on the trailer... i just took the plunge and got my new one last weekend. went from a 5x8 to a 7x14, but i am concerned that I wont ever need as much space as this one has, but wanted the 7ft tall interior for pump hauling. so here's a toast to burning more gas! lol

Posted By: JUNK KING Re: I finally gave in to my addiction - Tue Jun 03 2014 02:39 AM
I have a 7 X 7 X 18. Makes for about10 miles to the gallon.
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: I finally gave in to my addiction - Tue Jun 03 2014 07:15 AM
Good looking trailer.

I have an 18 ft open trailer on which I have moved 22 pumps at a time. A cube van with a 12' box, with an 1800 lb power tailgate. This 28 ft enclosed trailer will haul a car, a quad and is fully equipped with built in cabinets, work bench, generator, tools and a compressor. Essentially a garage on wheels.

Nothing beats these first gen, 12 valve Cummins for fuel efficiency. Loaded pulling a 8,000 to 10,000 lbs load, I average 20-21 mpg at 90-100 mph (1800 RPM) and lots of passing power through the west coast mountains. Empty up to 24 mpg. These Cummins engines are good for 600,000 miles, this one only has 225,000 miles on it. Wife and accountant have been on me for the past few years to lease a new truck...100% company write off. But, I'll never get rid of my old Dodge!

Attached picture rsz_002.jpg
Posted By: Steven C. Re: I finally gave in to my addiction - Tue Jun 03 2014 09:18 AM
Nice Mike! Classy set up!! The picture graphic is very cool! Gives the other folks on the highway something to enjoy as you roll on buy.
Good looking rig!!
Posted By: Maxgas Re: I finally gave in to my addiction - Tue Jun 03 2014 09:53 AM
That thing is sweet. Love the graphics! I have a 16' V-nose trailer like BryceG's. It has 1 little Maine Gasoline sticker in the side door. Makes me want a up-grade. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: BryceG Re: I finally gave in to my addiction - Tue Jun 03 2014 11:38 AM
Dave... I have heard that those old Cumming diesels have the best fuel economy, and your stats prove that for sure.

i was pulling my trailer home in a decently strong headwind, and I got a whopping 9-mpg!
Posted By: pickurt Re: I finally gave in to my addiction - Tue Jun 03 2014 01:38 PM
Now that's a good way to give in!

Kurt
Posted By: Mike M. Re: I finally gave in to my addiction - Tue Jun 03 2014 02:03 PM
Kevin, no trailer is too clean to haul a gas pump!!!

John, There is a method to my madness, As I said earlier I have a 20' Featherlite trailer that has hauled many loads but I told myself that I have as many Pumps as I will ever need so If I go with a smaller trailer I'm hoping it will keep my addiction under control!!

Thanks everyone and I look forward to seeing you at shows and auctions.
Posted By: bsplichal95 Re: I finally gave in to my addiction - Tue Jun 03 2014 02:09 PM
Awesome trailer and Dave, awesome Cummins!
Posted By: toychaser2005 Re: I finally gave in to my addiction - Tue Jun 03 2014 03:38 PM
now that's a trailer
Posted By: Alex Re: I finally gave in to my addiction - Wed Jun 04 2014 05:25 PM
Originally Posted By: Dave's Garage
I average 20-21 mpg at 90-100 mph (1800 RPM)

This just in.....the RCMP are heading to BC to talk to Dave about that 100 MPH thing...you did mean Kilometers, right, Dave????

Attached picture Canada-Alberta-Calgary-Royal-Canadian.jpg
Attached picture Canadian_Mountie_Fights_for_his-adb57712ee8a263d02420ced4d077cd7.jpg
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: I finally gave in to my addiction - Wed Jun 04 2014 06:10 PM
My bad, you are right...100 kilometers per hour. As great as the Cummins are, my truck can't do 100MPH (160 km/h). My injector pump is restricted at 2200 rpm. Which is about 125 km/h top speed in overdrive.

You can let the RCMP know to stand down.
Posted By: Alex Re: I finally gave in to my addiction - Wed Jun 04 2014 09:41 PM
Sound retreat.....

Attached picture Day8_Mounties_coloured.jpg
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk