Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Bob Richards 1966 Motorific Flying A Slot Car Track .... - Wed Aug 28 2013 05:32 PM
I hope you will all bear with me, as I most likely bore you to death, with a reminisce of my youth....

I have been on a quest for a few months to acquire an item from my youth... The item was branded and sold for only 1 year, only. And that year was 1966... I was a scrapping 12 year old going on 30... I worked part time as a "pump jockey" for a local Flying A Gas Station. And felt that I was "above" such childish things as Slot Cars and especially "battery powered Slot cars" that ran on there own with no hand controls...

In 1966 Ideal Toys, came out with their Motorific "Car and Torture Track" along with other Motorific Slot Car "Set Ups"... But, Ideal did something different with the "Car and Torture Track"... They branded certain one's with the DX Oil Company name and logo on the boxes...

And they also branded a "set up" with the Flying A name and logo...

As I said, in 1966 I was working at a Flying A Station and selling these tracks and the accessory kits as fast as we could get them into the Station.. My Father who had been collecting "Gas and Oil" items since the mid 40s... Advised me to buy a couple of the tracks and a few of the 2 different accessory kits that went along with the track.. (the tracks and kits, were $1.99 ea in 1966)... His reasoning was that "sooner or later" the tracks and kits would become collectibles not only for Petro Collectors, but for Toy Collectors... Of course, I always meant to "squirrel" away atleast one track and kit set ups... But, I never did....

Fast forward to 2013, (at times the years flew by and other times... well you've all been there)....

Today, I was able to receive the 3rd and final piece to "MY" 1966 Motorific Flying A "Car and Torture Track" and Accessory kits....

The "Toys of my Youth" now sit on a machine that "Breathes for me" at night... LOL - So I am living that 'ol adage I heard as a child and didn't understand at the time... "He is a kid at heart, trapped in an Old Man's body"....

I just had my 59th Birthday, this past week... And that birthday and this "present" to myself... Reminded me, to "keep digging"... Even with Cancer and a Heart not worth "spit"... It is never too late to reach out and grab the Brass Ring... It just takes some of us longer to decide what "is the Brass Ring"... LOL
Posted By: VEEDOL_AL1 Re: 1966 Motorific Flying A Slot Car Track .... - Wed Aug 28 2013 05:41 PM
great story my Friend!!!I`m glad you finally got the 3rd one to finish your set..we are always kids at heart and I enjoy it especially with my grandson...I know your hanging in there with your health issues,but my prayers and thought`s are always with you.
Al
Posted By: Gasman84470 Re: 1966 Motorific Flying A Slot Car Track .... - Wed Aug 28 2013 05:45 PM
Bob being of the same "vintage" I remember the slot car phenomenon but not that specific set. I was never good at racing them, just crashing them. So that's what we set them up to do. Cars were flying off in all trajectories. They didn't last long needless to say. It's great to score the fun stuff, NIB no less. Congratulations. BTW love the circus poster.
Posted By: st.rod Re: 1966 Motorific Flying A Slot Car Track .... - Wed Aug 28 2013 06:28 PM
Glad you were able to get that last piece! wink

Larry
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: 1966 Motorific Flying A Slot Car Track .... - Wed Aug 28 2013 06:29 PM
Nice collection...I don't have those but I have several slot car kits from when I was a rug rat.
Posted By: advertologist Re: 1966 Motorific Flying A Slot Car Track .... - Wed Aug 28 2013 06:32 PM
congratulations on completing the set & thanks for the education, have never heard of or seen any before.. cool
Posted By: marxmobilgas Re: 1966 Motorific Flying A Slot Car Track .... - Wed Aug 28 2013 06:47 PM
lets see the inside of the boxes,
those are cool
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: 1966 Motorific Flying A Slot Car Track .... - Wed Aug 28 2013 07:22 PM
Mark, here you go. You're right, I should have "unwrapped" the track and accessory kits... LOL

The "Torture Track" (Mark I) and "Skyway" accessory kit (Mark III):

And the "Power Pack" accessory kit (Mark II):

And since I have the track... Here is some of the different cars, a "youth" could add to their tracks....

Motorific cars avail in 1964-'66 :

Posted By: nochevys Re: 1966 Motorific Flying A Slot Car Track .... - Wed Aug 28 2013 07:30 PM
I have several of these sets stored in my basement. I do not have the station branded ones just a torture track and a couple other sets they had. I believe I even have a couple boats and a boat carrying case that they had come out with.

If I remember tonight I'll get a couple pictures of what I have posted if anyone's interested...
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: 1966 Motorific Flying A Slot Car Track .... - Wed Aug 28 2013 07:31 PM
Tom, I would like to see them, if no one else does?...
Posted By: Oilcanman87 Re: 1966 Motorific Flying A Slot Car Track .... - Wed Aug 28 2013 07:38 PM
Ya lets see them.
Posted By: marxmobilgas Re: 1966 Motorific Flying A Slot Car Track .... - Wed Aug 28 2013 08:19 PM
thanks, I didnt notice it was just the track
the cars are the coolest.

My brother and I had some brand I dont remember which but the cars were about 6-8 inches long and very thick wire contacts for the track on a large steep banked figure 8.
Posted By: nochevys Re: 1966 Motorific Flying A Slot Car Track .... - Wed Aug 28 2013 10:18 PM
Here are my boats. I could not get to the track sets sorry. They are buried under a mountain of toys. I'm going to start a thread in non petro showing a few other cool slot car sets so check it out.

Attached picture IMG_1516.JPG
Attached picture IMG_1517.JPG
Attached picture IMG_1518.JPG
Attached picture IMG_1519.JPG
Posted By: 983jeremy Re: 1966 Motorific Flying A Slot Car Track .... - Thu Aug 29 2013 01:59 AM
Great story Bob! That's really cool that you completed your set! But more then that, thanks for sharing it with us. You are full of great info and even though your heart may not be worth a "spit" it's still a big heart down deep under that tough skin. Thanks again for your help and sharing your knowledge.
Jeremy
Posted By: KS 82 GT Re: 1966 Motorific Flying A Slot Car Track .... - Thu Aug 29 2013 12:46 PM
I remember that track, although I remembered it as being Texaco. Ours was probably DX since that was in the area and my Dad filled up there quite often. The set we had came with '63 Impalas. I think there were two, although I only remember a red one.

At some point I would like to pick up a set, now I know what to call it when I search.
CONGRATS Bob, and Thanx for sharing!!!
I know that when I was growing up I was such a car-head. I loved Fords and Ferraris and my dad had a track in the basement under the stairs that we took it out every once in a while and it was a blast and gave me the chance to race Ferraris and GT-40s and Corvettes and older model racers.
I'm pretty sure my Step-Mom still has it. I need to make a trip to Denver with my truck to get it and the HO train set and more. It's a trip that I will do after I get my Shoppe building up and she is keeping them safe till then
It's all about the great memories that some of these things spark!
SLOT CAR PARTY AT BOBS HOUSE!! BYOSC, TRACKS & BYOB AND SOME EXTRA FOR THE HOST!! HA HA
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: 1966 Motorific Flying A Slot Car Track .... - Wed Sep 11 2013 06:42 PM
It is true.... I have no "Self-Control"!!!!

No... your eyes are not deceiving you... A Motorific DX Test Track Set... has appeared in the image...

I could not "leave well enough, alone"... And "had" to complete the Motorific "Oil Company" Track Sets...

But, a terrible thing happened!

For, in the box was a DX "folding" envelope that advertised for $2.98; one could send away for a "DX Accessory Kit" for the Test Track...

So....... The hunt is on, for the elusive Accessory Kit.... Does anyone ever remember seeing one? ....

Or are "Bigfoot and the Abominable snowman" playing with the only known set?....

(I had to move items, just to display the items together... What I terrible sickness... We have!... Yes, I am dragging you folks under, also!)
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: 1966 Motorific Flying A Slot Car Track .... - Wed Sep 11 2013 07:22 PM
Nice looking accumulation you have there.
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: 1966 Motorific Flying A Slot Car Track .... - Wed Sep 11 2013 07:23 PM
Looks great, hope you find the elusive accessory kit!!
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk