Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: nochevys who's got the worst nice sign in thier collection? - Sat Apr 20 2013 03:36 PM
nice sign but terribly faded and mangled. someone hacked a foot off 1 side and the paint is about shot but you can still read it.

Lets see what you've got...

Attached picture oilzum 001.JPG

Attached picture sunocoold.jpg
It's not perfect but my absolute favorite and pretty rare. Can't beat the Boyce motometer.
I got a few more I can put into this category. LOL
This is actually my dads... It was so twisted when I got it that I left it in the cardboard and drove my car over it 2 or 3 times... Odd thing is it didn't lose any more porcelain.
I count this in my "collection" since I'm a picker and had it for about a week. It is already gone.

Love the early running man!
I guess I've been pretty lucky. This is the worst nice/rare sign that I have had. It was a flange-DSP that I did'nt even know was porcelain or a flange sign until after it was gone.

That marathon sign is cool. I like the united motors as well...
.. cool

Attached picture IMG_0655[1].JPG
...maybe we need a new forum for this stuff: we could call it 'Basketcase and Stories' wink
Good Topic to start and I really enjoy seeing the rusty/crusty/bent/broken/ripped/sliced, beautiful to me, signs! They always have the best stories behind them, if the true story is known.
6 foot Hood Tire Flag man... Poor guy needs some plastic surgery!
EXREMLT RARE HALF RED CROWN , NO REALLY THIS CAME FROM A HOG FARMER, HE DID NOT RECALL WHY IT WAS CUT IN THIS DESIGN.

Attached picture DSCN0359.JPG
Posted By: Tankar Re: who's got the worst nice sign in thier collection? - Sat Apr 20 2013 11:41 PM
that red crown looks cool next to your building.
Here is my worst and runner up.

This sign was found in a dumpster

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

And the other side had bondo all over it. I think they were using it for a bondo palit
Good post,this one should be fun to watch particularly if someone posts a display layout where ALL the signs are distressed.It kind of goes along with my theory that there is a place for every sign in the hobby.

I've got a couple of guys that come around specifically asking for signs that are "distressed","have character" or "patina".I guess they are laying out their whole displays with such signs.

There is another guy whose whole place is more or less done up in such signs.Actually,it's kind of fun to look at because it is something you just don't see every day.In the right setting with the right guy the display works IMO.
Posted By: r49th Re: who's got the worst nice sign in thier collection? - Sun Apr 21 2013 05:03 PM
Here is one.

Attached picture shell.JPG
Originally Posted By: r49th
Here is one.

OUCH!

You can still tell its a Shell sign though...
Posted By: Tankar Re: who's got the worst nice sign in thier collection? - Sun Apr 21 2013 06:28 PM
Is it kerosene or gasoline the shell sign???
I think the Shell flange wins.
Posted By: Alex Re: who's got the worst nice sign in thier collection? - Sun Apr 21 2013 08:45 PM
Originally Posted By: nochevys
Originally Posted By: r49th
Here is one.

OUCH!

You can still tell its a Shell sign though...

The boys in the marketing department should grab that one..."You can still tell...it's Shell."

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Here's a couple that were used for target practice,

Jerry

Attached picture sign crop.JPG
Posted By: coopwyo Re: who's got the worst nice sign in thier collection? - Mon Apr 22 2013 03:39 PM
I've got you all beat!

Chris

Attached picture litening gas sign.jpg
This is my worst 'nice' sign. There may be others that aren't so nice but I am not fessing up to owning any. The left one is the rarer right facing two foot single-sided porcelain Red Indian image. I haven't got around to having it restored, yet. Cheers, Don.

Attached picture red indian 1.jpg
dug up last summer

Attached picture 001.JPG
Posted By: 60wayne Re: who's got the worst nice sign in thier collection? - Mon Apr 22 2013 07:40 PM
Kept this one.

Attached picture 396.JPG
Originally Posted By: coopwyo
I've got you all beat!

Chris

Only if you bought it from F. M.!
Posted By: coopwyo Re: who's got the worst nice sign in thier collection? - Mon Apr 22 2013 11:48 PM
That's right -- not my sign, but a beat up one none the less.
I picked this up at Dixie...

Makes me wanna go out and buy a rough sign so that I can post a picture.
great pictures!!! I wish I had some to post..I`m just sick to see the tydol and veedol signs shot up like that!!!!

txs Alan
Posted By: Dr Dave Re: who's got the worst nice sign in thier collection? - Tue Apr 23 2013 05:08 PM
CoopWYO,
Is (or maybe was) that a sign for a cowboy hat company or store?! lol
Originally Posted By: Dr Dave
CoopWYO,
Is (or maybe was) that a sign for a cowboy hat company or store?! lol

I'm guessing it could be this one:
http://oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?u...true#Post294788
Posted By: coopwyo Re: who's got the worst nice sign in thier collection? - Tue Apr 23 2013 05:29 PM
Being here in Cheyenne, it would probably work for that!

But, I'm pretty sure it was a Litening Gas sign.

Attached picture litening%20sign.jpg
I bought this beauty from another Oldgas member just 2 days ago,The sign was pulled out of the ground with a bulldozer. I think the sign is great.

Attached picture sinclair sign 001.JPG
Originally Posted By: Sinclair Dino
I bought this beauty from another Oldgas member just 2 days ago,The sign was pulled out of the ground with a bulldozer. I think the sign is great.

Yeah that has seen better days for sure. LOL

Awesome sign. Look at a slightly better one yesterday. Not so many track marks on it...
NOT MINE!

Attached picture 11.JPG
I love signs in this condition. Some of the ones already posted are too far gone for my liking but I collect signs like this one.

Attached picture 001a.jpg
Attached picture 003a.jpg
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
NOT MINE!

Thanks for posting mine DB! Nice signs everyone!
I don't feel so bad anymore..... : )

Attached picture chev.JPG
Posted By: BryceG Re: who's got the worst nice sign in thier collection? - Thu May 02 2013 01:05 AM
a lot have probably seen mine... got the equally bad other side of it as well... love these 'character' signs

How about this Standard Oil LDO oil sign? No paint, but the different layers of rust still makes it legible. Still has the original one-size-fits-all pole mount.

Lee

Attached picture LDOa.jpg
Attached picture LDOb.jpg
Here is one that needs some TLC.

Attached picture DSC01894.JPG
Originally Posted By: Craig Osbeck
Here is one that needs some TLC.

I like it!
Don't know anything about this sign, but it's my favorite and I
think it's missing about 4 inches on the bottom

Posted By: Oldgas Re: who's got the worst nice sign in thier collection? - Mon May 13 2013 03:17 PM
Travis:
The Red Crown reminds me of the "moon" on an outhouse door.

Below is my "best worst" sign. I've never seen a sign like this in decent condition, so I had to have this one since this is the petro company that I collect.

Description: Street's Oil lubester sign
Attached picture streettslubestersign.jpg
LOL!!! Some of these are hilarious!!!
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk