Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: rustynuts Got a new flange sign today! - Fri Apr 19 2013 08:23 PM
I've wanted one of these for awhile. I'm one happy camper this afternoon. The flange is toast & one side is always rougher than the other. Other than that its a beauty. Do flanges straighten easy with out taking porcelain off? I'd like too fix it so it hangs straight but don't want to lose any more porcelain. The bench vise is calling...

Attached picture tf1.jpg
Attached picture tf3.jpg
Attached picture tf4.jpg
Attached picture tf5.jpg
Posted By: tetraethyl Re: Got a new flange sign today! - Fri Apr 19 2013 08:26 PM
Another great find! Very well done. Congratulations!
Posted By: trifiver Re: Got a new flange sign today! - Fri Apr 19 2013 08:34 PM
Thats very nice piece

nice Find

Sid
Posted By: rustynuts Re: Got a new flange sign today! - Fri Apr 19 2013 08:45 PM
Another in ground pic of the sign & a quick heart breaker.

Attached picture sign in the hole2.jpg
Attached picture busted2.jpg
Posted By: advertologist Re: Got a new flange sign today! - Fri Apr 19 2013 09:22 PM
keep digging, there might be some marine lubrication signs.. cool
Posted By: blacktee Re: Got a new flange sign today! - Fri Apr 19 2013 10:06 PM

Crazy Story.

I think you should take it to a metal shop and use a brake one time. A bench vice will take you several tries.
Posted By: rustynuts Re: Got a new flange sign today! - Fri Apr 19 2013 11:08 PM
I know a guy with a brake & never even thought of it. Thanks!
Posted By: Rabbitman Re: Got a new flange sign today! - Fri Apr 19 2013 11:50 PM
That broken globe reminds me of the story I was told by the guy I got my PARCO etched globe from. He said when he found it in an old barn stall just the base was showing and when he got it dug out, there were two more beside it that we're crushed to pieces....always makes me sad to find broken stuff....GB
Posted By: rustynuts Re: Got a new flange sign today! - Sat Apr 20 2013 12:21 AM
I picked out enough(i hope) broken Colonial Gas lenses from the ground that I'm going to try & glue them into a square overlapping mosaic of broken glass the reads Colonial Gas.
Posted By: LOWright Re: Got a new flange sign today! - Sat Apr 20 2013 12:45 AM
Great dig Jeremy! Keep diggin and postin ……...
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: Got a new flange sign today! - Sat Apr 20 2013 01:30 AM
More great finds! Amazing, how well the color survived on the broken one piece globe.
Posted By: texacokie Re: Got a new flange sign today! - Sat Apr 20 2013 11:06 AM
Jeremy watch out for a bear coming out of his winter nap from that hole!
Posted By: lordparaffin Re: Got a new flange sign today! - Sat Apr 20 2013 04:54 PM
The sign is awesome even with the toasted flange. The globe is heartbreaking to see but I'd still be tempted to recover all the pieces I can and find a way to repurpose or just glue back together what is there for the sake of it.
Posted By: Dave Richey Re: Got a new flange sign today! - Sat Apr 20 2013 08:43 PM
When you bend a porcelain sign one way it usually stresses the porcelain (along with some loss). when you bend it back, the stressed porcelain pops off. My suggestion is the you bend it back a little at a time and if you are losing more than you can bear, then stop. Your not likely to lose any of the field when straightening the flange. If you can't stand it, then I know a guy who will give it refuge. : )
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk