Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: 57tbirdkid TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "PRESTONE" - Wed Oct 03 2012 11:27 PM

Company History from Prestone:
Originally, motorists drove cars without heaters or side windows, making winter driving very unpleasant. In addition, it was extremely difficult to start a car in cold weather. The eventual development of car heaters and side windows, and the improvement of engines and lubricants led to more winter driving and the requirement of antifreeze/coolant. Many compounds were used with water, such as honey, sugar, molasses and, the most popular, methyl alcohol. Despite good cooling ability, alcohol had the significant drawbacks of boilaway, odor and flammability. Motorists were perpetually uncertain about their freezing protection.

The company was formed in 1917 as Union Carbide and Carbon Corporation, acquiring four earlier companies: Linde Air Products Company (established 1907), National Carbon Company (1899), Prest-O-Lite Company, Inc. (1913), and Union Carbide Company (1898). It assumed the name Union Carbide Corporation in 1957.
Formed during wartime, the company immediately took on the manufacture of new diversified products, providing helium, ferrozirconium, and activated carbon for the U.S. military, thus setting the pattern for the company’s future development. After World War I, it retained its chemicals business and moved into the consumer field, becoming one of the first companies to use market research to discover potential consumer needs and creating products to fill them. Early products of this type were the first antifreeze, Prestone (introduced in 1927), and the first batteries for portable radios, under the Eveready brand (introduced in 1959).
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "PRESTONE" - Wed Oct 03 2012 11:49 PM
My Eveready Prestone Anti-freeze can:

Posted By: TILLER Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "PRESTONE" - Thu Oct 04 2012 12:11 AM
my lil collection

missing are my 3 thermometer's

Attached picture 108_4186_Medium.JPG
Attached picture 108_4187_Medium.JPG
Posted By: huskybob Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "PRESTONE" - Thu Oct 04 2012 12:51 AM
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "PRESTONE" - Thu Oct 04 2012 04:01 AM
Three porcelain thermometers.

Attached picture 016 (4).jpg
Posted By: lv2xlr8 Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "PRESTONE" - Thu Oct 04 2012 06:58 PM
I am in search of an original Prestone thermometer with the "You're SET SAGE SURE." Are these, or any of the thermometers reproduced? I have previously stayed away from signage, as I just don't feel knowledgeable enough to avoid fakes.
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "PRESTONE" - Thu Oct 04 2012 07:22 PM
I am one of those "strange" Collectors who likes advertising almost as much as I like other items... (Almost)

A Magazine ad from 1929:

[Linked Image]

1937 ad:

[Linked Image]

1942 ad:

[Linked Image]

A nice looking banner:

[Linked Image from imageshack.us]

Attached picture BobR8.jpg
Attached picture BobR9.jpg
Attached picture BobR10.jpg
Posted By: 57tbirdkid Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "PRESTONE" - Thu Oct 04 2012 09:08 PM
Thanks for everyones participation so far keep em coming!!

[Linked Image from imageshack.us]

Attached picture FueluserPrestone.jpg
Posted By: 57tbirdkid Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "PRESTONE" - Fri Oct 05 2012 11:21 PM
There has to be be more items..... lets see them!
Posted By: coopersplace Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "PRESTONE" - Sat Oct 06 2012 03:46 PM
Okay, here are some more. Cheers, Don.

Attached picture e1-1.jpg
Attached picture e2.jpg
Attached picture e3-1.jpg
Attached picture e4.jpg
Attached picture e5.jpg
Posted By: Big Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "PRESTONE" - Sat Oct 06 2012 09:13 PM
Right before they were yellow.....

Attached picture prestone.png
Posted By: 57tbirdkid Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "PRESTONE" - Sun Oct 07 2012 07:48 PM
Prestone

Attached picture 57TbirdKid2.jpg
Attached picture 57TbirdKid3.jpg
Posted By: Christinee Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "PRESTONE" - Thu Jun 07 2018 03:14 PM
Hi
In the Prestone Magazine ad from 1929: "Get caught in the sky with a frozen motor". Do you know the origin of this ad?
Posted By: Oldgas Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "PRESTONE" - Thu Jun 07 2018 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by Christinee
Hi In the Prestone Magazine ad from 1929: "Get caught in the sky with a frozen motor". Do you know the origin of this ad?

The top of the ad page reads, "The Saturday Evening Post November 16, 1929"
Posted By: RedHat Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "PRESTONE" - Sat Jun 09 2018 08:51 PM
Bringing back up this old thread got me excited thinking we were doing COTM again. Any chance of bringing COTM back since the majority of COTMs are victim to old servers and image hosting platforms. They were the threads that originally drew me to the site, nowhere else can you find that kinda plethora of a company’s products.
Posted By: Oldgas Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "PRESTONE" - Sun Jun 10 2018 03:02 AM
Originally Posted by RedHat
Bringing back up this old thread got me excited thinking we were doing COTM again. Any chance of bringing COTM back since the majority of COTMs are victim to old servers and image hosting platforms. They were the threads that originally drew me to the site, nowhere else can you find that kinda plethora of a company’s products.

It would be welcomed by many members to do a new Company of the Month, even just one company feature from time to time. Just volunteer to do it. If any member has more than a few items to show and is willing to start it off, let's get one going. Who is up for it? Send me a PM message.

I can also put new photos in old threads. If you have a photo that could replace a missing photo in an old COTM thread, please contact me by PM or email. We can do it.
Posted By: The Rip Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "PRESTONE" - Wed Jun 13 2018 05:37 PM
Super thread!
Posted By: advertologist Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "PRESTONE" - Wed Jun 13 2018 06:11 PM
prestone Canadian thermometer .. ... cool

Attached picture IMG_3151[1].JPG
Posted By: Done4 Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "PRESTONE" - Thu Jun 14 2018 12:50 AM
^^^^Too cool!^^^^
Posted By: pumpingethyl Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "PRESTONE" - Thu Jun 14 2018 05:09 AM
[Linked Image]
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk