Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: eric grinder My find for the year @ local auction.. - Tue May 17 2011 01:49 PM
Well this has to be the best find I've had a local auction. Not that I got it for nothing but got a hell of a deal on it for sure. Advertising stuff goes pretty high, even more than retail sometimes around my parts when it comes up at auctions. I usually wouldnt have thought I had a shot at this thing but this item had a special circumstance. It was completly painted over with gold paint! I spotted the pic online, called the auctioneer who was quick to tell me " It was metal (maybe porcelain he didn't know) and some idiot ruined it with gold paint!" I had to take the hr trip to check it out in wild hopes it was what I thought it was. Upon arrival and one look at the backside I knew it was what i had hoped! I heard countless people talking about it and how terrible it was that it was ruined....UNFORTUNATLY the left bid and the phone bidder also knew you can remove paint off porcelain..lol. Figured I had to share.

Attached picture peg1.jpg
Posted By: eric grinder Re: My find for the year @ local auction.. - Tue May 17 2011 01:53 PM
After a little elbow grease and paint remover

Attached picture peg3.jpg
Attached picture peg4.jpg
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: My find for the year @ local auction.. - Tue May 17 2011 02:36 PM
Nice! You took that golden jacket off peggy-sue's original lustre! Gotta LOVE it...HAPPY ending there!
Posted By: tomzcollectiblez Re: My find for the year @ local auction.. - Tue May 17 2011 04:30 PM
KILLER sign and story! Thanks for sharing!
Congrats!
Posted By: MARK SMITH Re: My find for the year @ local auction.. - Tue May 17 2011 04:57 PM
Awesome!Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: oldnfuelish Re: My find for the year @ local auction.. - Tue May 17 2011 06:18 PM
thats a beut!!
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: My find for the year @ local auction.. - Tue May 17 2011 06:26 PM
...simply gorgeous.
Posted By: lordparaffin Re: My find for the year @ local auction.. - Tue May 17 2011 08:01 PM
I love stories like that. That's a great piece and you did a nice job with the clean up.
Posted By: TheCog Re: My find for the year @ local auction.. - Tue May 17 2011 08:56 PM
WOW! That is great - thanks for sharing this - Awesome!
Posted By: 1970mach Re: My find for the year @ local auction.. - Tue May 17 2011 09:36 PM
Nice find! Enjoy it...
Posted By: JOSBORN Re: My find for the year @ local auction.. - Tue May 17 2011 10:24 PM
KILLER!
Great find!
Posted By: 57tbirdkid Re: My find for the year @ local auction.. - Tue May 17 2011 11:24 PM
NICE FIND and Nice clean up!!!
Posted By: ryanfair Re: My find for the year @ local auction.. - Tue May 17 2011 11:49 PM
Awesome! Beautiful sign for sure.

Ryan
Posted By: Chevrolet SS Re: My find for the year @ local auction.. - Wed May 18 2011 01:32 AM
Great story! Awesome piece! You go "grinder"
Posted By: Petroholic Re: My find for the year @ local auction.. - Wed May 18 2011 01:39 PM
Awesome!!Cool story to boot.
Posted By: BIGTOM Re: My find for the year @ local auction.. - Wed May 18 2011 03:56 PM
I love stories like that!!! I bet that hideous gold paint did a little preservation as well - so it could be looked at as a positive!!! NICE!!!

BIGTOM
Posted By: Scott Baselt Re: My find for the year @ local auction.. - Thu May 19 2011 02:13 AM
Great score.

I love it when a plan comes together.
Posted By: LOWright Re: My find for the year @ local auction.. - Thu May 19 2011 10:29 AM
Killer! Great find!
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk