Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: gas pump freak POTM Poll - Your Likes and Dislikes - Fri Jun 11 2004 03:48 AM
I'm not going to change anything regarding the POTM postings but I would like a few minutes of your time so I can take a poll to help me down the road on this topic. Each month when I ask myself "self, what would be a good pump to feature this month", I am internally overwhelmed because there are so many different pumps. I do not ever want this feature to be based from my selfish likes and dislikes. Sure, I am hardcore 1935 - 1959 computer pump oriented (because these are my truest loves and that what my collection reflects) but I pursue this monthly task for you, not me, and I want to do the best job possible.

Each month I am not going to ask for a vote on what that month's POTM will be because I want to keep it as interesting and well balanced as possible. If you would be so kind to reply stating your favorite two or three pumps I will take note and refer to it often.

Happy Hunting!
Thanks for your help!!

Neal
Posted By: Dwaine Buck Re: POTM Poll - Your Likes and Dislikes - Fri Jun 11 2004 04:07 AM
Your doing a good job Neal. When I started Pump of the month and asked Larry Ivy to over see it, because of his knowledge of pumps, he started off and realized it was a chore. But it really is not. you can use any image of a pump and look up a little history and dates, thats all anyone can do . how about Sidewalk carts. any brand, then stationary side walk pumps. then previsables. ask Jack if you can use some images from any of his books. most guys just want to learn. that was my purpose in starting these monthly and weekly threads. to learn. and HTH. your doing good. When I started Company of the month , and had a list for it I asked that each guy doing a company put it in four sections, one for each week. so far they have done great. you just have to figure out whats best for you. instead of you doing everything ask for a member to show and tell about his pump different types. make a list have fun. HTH and good luck.

------------------
Dwaine

www.vintage-logos.com
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: POTM Poll - Your Likes and Dislikes - Fri Jun 11 2004 04:11 AM
Neal,
I think you're doing a great job keeping a good mix of pumps from month to month. Most of the guys that participate on this site seem to be into the same type pumps you like. There are a few guys that collect visables and clock face pumps.

Maybe you should ask "What pumps would you like to see featured, and will you be posting pictures of your pumps?"

I would like to see guys post more info when they show their pumps. Things like paint codes, restoration tips, and before during and after resto pics. I'd like to see detailed pics showing the resto process.

As far as specific pumps go, I don't care. Just keep a good mix of the different types and makes of pumps.
Bob
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: POTM Poll - Your Likes and Dislikes - Fri Jun 11 2004 04:57 AM
Dwaine,
You have some good ideas there about what to cover. I like the idea of doing a feature on gas carts. Neal has some good ideas for some of the other things you mentioned.

I have to strongly disagree about the amount of effort that goes into a SUCCESSFUL feature though. Larry did a great job getting POTM rolling, but he realized he didn't have the time to keep up with it.

Some thought has to go into what pump(s) to feature. Often time there's alot of email involved trying to see if there's enough interest in certain pumps. Neal has done an excellent job of keeping a good mix too.

Research on dates of manufacture and model revisions needs to be done.

Pictures need to be taken, edited and posted.

Guys need help posting pictures.

Often times the hosts of our showcase features have to email several people to get them to participate or share pictures of their items.

THESE FEATURES JUST DON'T HAPPEN. MANY HOURS OF WORK GO INTO THEM. Scott, Hubba, Ted, and Neal all do a great job with their respective features. Doc (Larry) will take over COTM soon. I'm sure he'll do a great job too. I've never heard any of these guys ask for any recognition either. They do it because they love the hobby.
The format has changed on all of the weekly and monthly features except for GOTM. Our team of hosts will continue to refine these features to better serve the hobby. Our showcase features are better now than they've ever been because of the effort our hosts put into them.

Rather than diminish the effort it takes to put the features on, I think we should thank these guys for all the work they do! Thanks to Jim Potts too. Every time we add a feature it takes more resources. Those resources cost money.

Lets not forget all the contributors to our features. These features wouldn't be possible without their help too.

Bob
Lastgas15, Moderator of Showcase and Stories

[This message has been edited by Lastgas15 (edited 06-11-2004).]
Posted By: Dwaine Buck Re: POTM Poll - Your Likes and Dislikes - Fri Jun 11 2004 11:43 AM
You are right Bob, lots of hours, Thats why I suggest asking someothers with pumps to post and talk about there pumps. One person cannot do it all. But when I started all the monthly threads it was for learning, not just posting a picture. I think all the guys are doing a great job. So quit correcting everyone Bob, Your worse then an old school teacher.

------------------
Dwaine

www.vintage-logos.com
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: POTM Poll - Your Likes and Dislikes - Fri Jun 11 2004 12:25 PM
Dwaine,
I was just sticking up for the guys that do the work. Having ideas doesn't mean a feature is going to be successful. Someone has to do the work. Scott, Hubba, Ted and Neal are doing a great job.
Asking others to post their items is already being done. Thats just one of the things that the host of the feature does behind the scenes. All of our showcase features are geared towards educating fellow collectors as well as showing off our prized possesions.
I better get back to grading papers. LOL
Bob
Posted By: big cheese Re: POTM Poll - Your Likes and Dislikes - Fri Jun 11 2004 12:25 PM
right on bob. these guy's are doing a super great job and i always enjoy the post. great job guys. and thank you. big cheese
Posted By: djhubba Re: POTM Poll - Your Likes and Dislikes - Fri Jun 11 2004 12:42 PM
Dear Teacher...Thanks for the "A" on my most recent "paper". Its Teachers like you who inspire me to do my best on all my papers. Its Teachers like you that make me love School..thanks again
signed,
the fat kid in the back row....LOL

------------------
Hubba the GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Shoreline WA
Posted By: DuceCpe Re: POTM Poll - Your Likes and Dislikes - Fri Jun 11 2004 02:36 PM
I also want to thank everybody that contributes to this site to make it what it is. I learn numerous new things on here every
day..As far as what are my choices of pumps to have as POTM, I love any Clockface pumps then Tokheim 36-36b,34 and 850's.. Just my $.02
Keep up the great work!!!!!!!!!
Ric
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: POTM Poll - Your Likes and Dislikes - Fri Jun 11 2004 02:42 PM
HUBBA YOU ARE "THE TEACHERS PET!"
NOW GO TO "THE HEAD OF THE CLASS!" LMAO!

DOC @ TAG/WEST
drcoke@optonline.net
Posted By: aquaelvis Re: POTM Poll - Your Likes and Dislikes - Fri Jun 11 2004 03:52 PM
Pumps I'd like to see more of... showcase pumps, any and all! Tok 850's are always nice. I'd like to see a month of pumps that are NOT in Jack's book.
Any pump is a good pump! Keep up the good work guys.
Posted By: gatorgaspumps Re: POTM Poll - Your Likes and Dislikes - Fri Jun 11 2004 04:06 PM
I'm the new guy. I watched you site for about two months before I joined. The site is doing a good job . I've been collecting for about 10 years and I have learned alot in the past two months. keep up the good work
Posted By: scootdog Re: POTM Poll - Your Likes and Dislikes - Fri Jun 11 2004 05:18 PM
I would really like to see some double pumps. The ones you always wish you had in your collections but only few people do. I am not sure who would have a lot images of those type of pumps but they really are unique. Perhaps it could be as broad as unusual pumps.

Neal, Bob, Ted, Hubba, Jim, Doc and Scott all spend quite a bit of time adding value to this site. Thank you for doing that.

Scott
Posted By: vintage-motorworks Re: POTM Poll - Your Likes and Dislikes - Fri Jun 11 2004 05:20 PM
I would like to see gas carts as well, I am currently restoring 4 of them and would love to get some insight into how others have done them
Posted By: TerryL Re: POTM Poll - Your Likes and Dislikes - Fri Jun 11 2004 05:23 PM
"I never met a pump I did'nt like"

Will "Gaspump" Rogers
Posted By: Tim Rohr Re: POTM Poll - Your Likes and Dislikes - Fri Jun 11 2004 08:41 PM
My suggestion would be that we do a new pump every 2 weeks instead of 4. These are my reasons:

1.The greatest interest in the thread seems to die out after the first couple of weeks.

2. Those who wait till the last couple of days to post will do so whether they have 2 weeks, 1 month or 6 months.

4. With the large variety of pumps and models out there, it will be several years before we get through them.

5. By moving through them faster will then be able to do more specific threads like any Texaco pump, any yellow pump, two tone pumps, pinstriped pumps.

6. If a person is going to post a picture then they will do it in the time given. If they are not going to take the time giving them another couple weeks probably wont help.

A last minute thought on a way to keep it moving would be to have two going at the same time in different threads. One could be for previsibles and visibles and the other thread would be for clockfaces an calculators.

You're doing a great job Neal.
Posted By: Midwest Oil Re: POTM Poll - Your Likes and Dislikes - Sat Jun 12 2004 12:24 PM
Any pumps is good pumps I like all of them. Keep up the good work.
Posted By: philmccauley Re: POTM Poll - Your Likes and Dislikes - Sat Jun 12 2004 10:58 PM
Neal, I think that you are doing one hell of a job, keep up the good work. I would like to see any clockface pumps. I have never had the chance to own one but would love to. The idea of the gas carts would be a good idea, these are very neat and not alot of them around. Just keep all the great photos coming in on the greatest site on the planet.
Thanks, Phil "Lamont" McCauley
Posted By: gas pump freak Re: POTM Poll - Your Likes and Dislikes - Fri Jun 18 2004 01:07 AM
Here's the way I feel about "my way" of handling POTM;
I am the catalyst, fellow oldgassers are the resin.

If I were to try to;
1- Post many many pictures of the POTM I would come up short
2- Give oldgassers a "college education" on the current POTM, I would again come up short.
3- Present many "war stories and helpful tips" on the POTM, again & again I would still be coming up short!
4- Bring to light some "little known facts", I would again not only come up short but be a candidate for impeachment.

Members which are responsible for the other oldgas Features of the Month really do a better job than I do, they make multiple postings of info and associated pictures, but ole Neal really doesn't have the time, brain power nor resources to handle POTM that way. Keep in mind that I am only 2 years into this bloodfeast lustful obsession! I sincerely hope that I am not shaming nor selling my (actually your) post short. The way I figure it is like a football team, I am the coach saying "okay guys, go kick some butt and achieve what the program says the goal is tonight. Oh, and by the way, I wrote the program.
The other oldgassers responsible for the monthly features do a first class job, bending over backwards with info, pictures and legwork whereas I just "say 1-2-3 GO GET EM GUYS"!!!
I sincerely hope that I am doing oldgas.com and it's great members justice!
As I always say, I am one of those guys that appreciate constructive critisism. PLEASE lay it on me as you see fit. I do what I do for the hobby! I can boastfully say that I feel no one has more passion for Petro than I, but I do humbly know my limitations in the info department. I do hope that I am doing POTM 10 years from now.

Sincerely,

Neal Dunn
gas pump freak

Neal Dunn
Posted By: scootdog Re: POTM Poll - Your Likes and Dislikes - Fri Jun 18 2004 01:56 AM
Neil,

You are doing great. Don't worry about not knowing everything about pumps. I love pump of the month

Scott
Posted By: Jarvis Re: POTM Poll - Your Likes and Dislikes - Fri Jun 18 2004 10:06 AM
Neal, Your doing great! I know what you mean on being new... I am coming up on being a 5 year collector myself and feel stupid when it comes to a lot of this stuff. When Bob ask if I wanted to get involved I felt like I would go a good job because my lack of knowledge. You are doing a great job so hang in there coach!
Posted By: Tim Rohr Re: POTM Poll - Your Likes and Dislikes - Fri Jun 18 2004 10:32 AM
Neal your doing a great job. I think you are assuming more responsibility than you need to. It is our job to come up with pictures, post them and comment on them. I never assumed that you had to be a pump expert to moderate this area. I just assumed you had to be willing and there is a lot to be said for that. Keep up the good work.
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: POTM Poll - Your Likes and Dislikes - Sat Jun 19 2004 12:23 AM
Neal, You're doing a great job! We all know its more work than just saying Go Get Em.

ALL of our showcase features require participation from our members. The more guys that get involved, the better it is for everyone.
Bob
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: POTM Poll - Your Likes and Dislikes - Sat Jun 19 2004 12:27 AM
Tim,
The Host of each feature doesn't need to be an expert, just passionate about the feature they're hosting. Neal has alot of ideas that he wants to implement into his features. I think you pump guys will approve of things he has in mind.
Bob
Posted By: ACEman Re: POTM Poll - Your Likes and Dislikes - Sat Jun 19 2004 03:56 AM
I think your doing an excellent job on POTM Neal. Even though I've only been around a few months, I've learned more about the pumps than I ever would have elsewhere. The same goes for the other OTMs. By the way, I love hearing the stories behind the pumps, where they came from, whether they were tied in a knot before restoration, ect.
Keep up the good work!
Jimmy
Posted By: gas pump freak Re: POTM Poll - Your Likes and Dislikes - Sun Jun 20 2004 02:15 AM
Guys, THANKS for all of the kind words!!
Sincerely,

Neal
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk