Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: +Chris Holt Back yard Gas Stations - Thu Feb 19 2004 09:15 AM
How many of you guys have a gas station in your back yard? Jeff I know you have a Mobil if I remember right,and Dwaine has a Flying =A=, but how many others have a back yard building that looks like a Gas station, maybe you guys could post some pictures, and tell us something about it,did you use original plans ? what your still looking for , what you would do different if you had to do it over again.
Posted By: +Chris Holt Re: Back yard Gas Stations - Thu Feb 19 2004 09:24 AM
Sorry I put this in the wrong forum, It's way to early.
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: Back yard Gas Stations - Thu Feb 19 2004 10:44 AM
HEY CHRIS...YOU PUT THIS IN THE WRONG FORUM....HUH, OH YOU REALIZED THIS ALREADY? MAN, IT'S JUST WAY TOO EARLY!

I HOPE TO BE DOING A MOCK STATION
OUT OF A SMALL SHED IN MY BACKYARD SOMEDAY, BUT FOR THE MOMENT I USE THE DRIVEWAY LEADING TO MY 2-CAR GARAGE WHICH
HAS SOME FEEL OF AN OLD TIME GARAGE SERVICE STATION. I JUST ROLL OUT SIGNS, ETC FOR THE DAY
ON THE WEEKENDS. PEOPLE WILL
ACTUALLY ASK IF MY GAS IS THAT CHEAP! GOOD FORUM THOUGH, MAYBE WE COULD GET OLDGAS MEMBERS TO POST PICTURES OF THEIR HOMELAND "STATIONS." I KNOW FLYINGAMAN CRAIG IS THE ONLY ONE I KNOW THAT HAS HIS INSIDE HIS PLACE! HOW COOL IS THAT?

EMAIL ME FOR IMAGES/POSTING HELP:
drcoke@optonline.net

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGES
Posted By: JEFFSAUTOMOBILIA Re: Back yard Gas Stations - Thu Feb 19 2004 10:59 AM
Chris, I will be posting a picture soon, Got A few thing to finish up on. How about stopping by on the way to Columbus gas?
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: Back yard Gas Stations - Thu Feb 19 2004 12:13 PM
Chris,
I don't have a back yard station.....yet. My wife and I bought some acreage last fall. We're eventually going to build a new house, shop, and porcelain gas station. I'd like to find a procelain station (preferably Sinclair) in the southern Illinois area.
Bob
Posted By: djhubba Re: Back yard Gas Stations - Thu Feb 19 2004 04:08 PM
Chris..I wish I had a station in the backyard..Thats my dream. This is what I have for now..just a lil shed wanna be station. Lack of room (and funds) prevent me from having a real station but someday my friend..Oh YES..someday..but my lil shed will have to do for now.

As soon as the kids are grown and out of the house I want to make the rec room like Craigs..just to Mobil. The kids play alot in there and wouldnt want to set it up until they are gone. I would love to see other peoples stations though...c'mon guys ..lets see.

------------------
Hubba the GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Shoreline WA

[This message has been edited by djhubba (edited 02-19-2004).]
Posted By: big cheese Re: Back yard Gas Stations - Thu Feb 19 2004 07:44 PM
hey hubba ,i love it , how much do you want for it. chese
Posted By: +Chris Holt Re: Back yard Gas Stations - Thu Feb 19 2004 10:14 PM
Jeff, when the time gets closer we'll fine tune the" stop by " I would love to see your setup , comon guys I know there is more out there than this Post them up!!!!!
Posted By: ACEman Re: Back yard Gas Stations - Fri Feb 20 2004 03:39 AM
I'm sending a couple pictures of my buddy's backyard station now. To the best of our knowledge its an old Whiting Bros station from the '20s the 2 pumps in the front are repops he built.
Jimmy
Posted By: djhubba Re: Back yard Gas Stations - Fri Feb 20 2004 04:52 AM
LOL Cheese..Print the pic for free or pay shipping..LOL..Gotta Love the Big Cheese

------------------
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: Back yard Gas Stations - Fri Feb 20 2004 11:36 AM
ACEman WRITES & SENDS THE FOLLOWING:

These rae pictures of my buddy's backyard station I am sending in response to the topic in showcase.The building is believed to be an old Whiting Bros station. The two pumps in front are repops he built. My Buddy is in the picture for size reference.
Thanks bunches
JIMMY

THANKS ACEman & FRIEND FOR SHARING A WELL PUT TOGETHER
BACKYARD STATION WITH US OLDGAS
VIEWERS!!!

[This message has been edited by THE AMERICAN GARAGE (edited 02-20-2004).]
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: Back yard Gas Stations - Fri Feb 20 2004 07:21 PM
HELPING MEMBER GARY DRYE POST THIS IMAGE OF HIS BACKYARD SERVICE STATION. I HOPE HE PASSES OUT DROOL BUCKETS TO ALL THOSE WHO VISIT WITH SIMILAR INTERESTS!

LOOKING GOOD, GARY! THANKS FOR SHARING!

Posted By: +Chris Holt Re: Back yard Gas Stations - Fri Feb 20 2004 09:44 PM
Gary that is cool , I don't care who you are ya gota love that. Doc thanks for the pic's your Buddy should be very proud of what he's got.
Posted By: cans and stuff Re: Back yard Gas Stations - Fri Feb 20 2004 11:38 PM
Why would you put it a station in the back yard? Are you ashamed of it? Mine is in my front yard.

[img]http://hometown.aol.com/ethancarman/mypumps/build1[/img]
Posted By: fins n vtwins Re: Back yard Gas Stations - Sat Feb 21 2004 01:14 AM
uhhhh, how about a gas station INSIDE? Would that qualify? I have one in my office--who can post a pic for me?

Mike in TN
Posted By: big cheese Re: Back yard Gas Stations - Sat Feb 21 2004 01:36 AM
keep them photos comming , just love looking at them . i think they are wonderfull. cheese
Posted By: Scott Shipers Re: Back yard Gas Stations - Sat Feb 21 2004 01:48 AM
Here is Mikes (fins n vtwins) sweet indoor station. Great job.
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4dc01b3127cceb8bb70bd5d080000003610[/img]
Posted By: ACEman Re: Back yard Gas Stations - Sat Feb 21 2004 03:25 AM
Gary, can I have a full size pic of your station for my album?
It's good to see these old stations. They all look great!
Jimmy
Posted By: Tom Stover Re: Back yard Gas Stations - Sat Feb 21 2004 04:55 AM
Great photo's guys!!!!! That's another cool thing about seeing other people's collections: the never ending imagination of petro people. Keep the photo's coming!!!
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: Back yard Gas Stations - Sat Feb 21 2004 06:41 AM
All very cool! Lets see some more.
Bob
Posted By: +Chris Holt Re: Back yard Gas Stations - Sat Feb 21 2004 10:10 AM
Mike that office station is great ,How about you guys in Finland and England there must be something over there worth looking at!
Posted By: Dwaine Buck Re: Back yard Gas Stations - Sat Feb 21 2004 02:33 PM
I no you've all seen this old picture. and it would have been better if the collector could show where he had an original moved and set up. It is a task and expensive. We all have our reasons for building them the way we do, If I had'nt had the three Porcelains for the front I might have done it completely different. I went with Flying A for the same reason. I don't have over 500.00 in all the pumps. Got most of my lenses from Craig years ago. have run out of room inside, starting to put banners and signs on the ceiling. even had to move one of my Barber chairs to the deck behind the house.
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: Back yard Gas Stations - Sat Feb 21 2004 03:14 PM
Looks great Dwaine!
Thanks for the peek.
Bob
Posted By: JEFFSAUTOMOBILIA Re: Back yard Gas Stations - Tue Feb 24 2004 04:48 PM
Here is a first attempt at a picture post
Posted By: djhubba Re: Back yard Gas Stations - Tue Feb 24 2004 04:50 PM
ya got it on the first try Jeff..Cool. Looking good too my friend. Right on.

------------------
Posted By: JEFFSAUTOMOBILIA Re: Back yard Gas Stations - Tue Feb 24 2004 04:53 PM
Well the first attempt worked for the image posting. This is the first phase of my replica mobil station. I am currently working on two Wayne 60's that will be sitting on the island on the left. Also there will be a Fry "71 speedboy" restored and placed on the lh side of the building. The phone booth I restored two years ago and its actually came out of London. More pictures to follow as progress continues.
Posted By: Flyingaman Re: Back yard Gas Stations - Wed Feb 25 2004 03:22 AM
I know most of you have seen my indoor station. But here it is again.

Posted By: +Chris Holt Re: Back yard Gas Stations - Wed Feb 25 2004 10:22 AM
Jeff Thats cool, wish I had a back yard that big, is that a phone booth to the right, thoughs booths are great looking. I also have to learn how to post a pic, now that T-Way is back maybe he can show me, Post a pic 101.
Posted By: Ohio Oil Re: Back yard Gas Stations - Wed Feb 25 2004 01:59 PM
Jeff: looking good, you must have had a design consultant working with you.
FlyingAMan: I am just breaking ground on my new building, your inside station just gave me some fresh inspriration. Very well done!!
Posted By: JEFFSAUTOMOBILIA Re: Back yard Gas Stations - Wed Feb 25 2004 04:38 PM
Yes Ohio Oil, I have a very experienced design consultant who typically likes to decorate in a running man motif instead of a flying horse.
Posted By: Flyingaman Re: Back yard Gas Stations - Thu Feb 26 2004 02:02 AM
Ohio, if you need more pictures let me know. Good luck on your station.

Craig
Posted By: +Chris Holt Re: Back yard Gas Stations - Thu Feb 26 2004 12:21 PM
Flyingaman, Wow is that nice !!!
Posted By: djhubba Re: Back yard Gas Stations - Thu Feb 26 2004 03:43 PM
Heres good ol' Frank Sargents Country store/Texaco station he has in his awesome backyard. Thanks for sharing Local Frank.

------------------
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: Back yard Gas Stations - Thu Feb 26 2004 04:09 PM
GEEZ LOUISE FRANK THAT'S REALLY SOME NICE STUFF/SET-UP YOU HAVE THERE IN SUCH A NICE SETTING IN THE WOODS.....A PERSONAL UTOPIA IN YOUR OWN BACKYARD. I'M THINKING THAT GARAGE DOOR NEEDS A BIG TEXACO SIGN PAINTED ON IT....IF YOU WERE CLOSER I'D DO IT IN A HEARTBEAT!
LIKING EVERYONE'S "BYG's" ONLY SINCE I DON'T GOT ONE. . HOPE TO POST A SHOT OF AMERICAN GARAGE WEST AND EAST SOMEDAY SOON.
THANKS FOR SHARING EVERYONE!

DOC @ TAG
Posted By: kmann Re: Back yard Gas Stations - Thu Feb 26 2004 04:17 PM
frank... that is AWESOME... if i had that i would have to quit work.. sit out there and enjoy it.... beautiful !!!
Posted By: Novaman Re: Back yard Gas Stations - Thu Feb 26 2004 05:43 PM
Frank, Nice station and country store. I bet you spend a lot of time in your back yard!!!
Posted By: +Chris Holt Re: Back yard Gas Stations - Thu Feb 26 2004 05:58 PM
Am I seeing one building with station on one end Store on the other ? or is it two buildings?
Posted By: Gary Drye Re: Back yard Gas Stations - Thu Feb 26 2004 06:42 PM
Great looking buildings. I especially love the Associated theme. Keep the pics coming and how about more interior shots. Another load of pumps left today and I have enough room to start my showroom expansion. Looking for ideas. Keep sending in those great buildings.
Posted By: FrankSargent Re: Back yard Gas Stations - Thu Feb 26 2004 08:49 PM
Chris..
It is one building with General Store on one side and Texaco Station on the other. Inside is where I keep most of my treasures. The General Store side faces the "Train Station" where I keep my vintage park model train.

------------------
Frank
Posted By: Tom Stover Re: Back yard Gas Stations - Fri Feb 27 2004 12:49 AM
Local Frank, Hubba told me your station/store was awesome.... no kidding!! Can hardly wait to see it in person on the gas geeks tour!!!
Posted By: FrankSargent Re: Back yard Gas Stations - Fri Feb 27 2004 02:37 AM
Hey Tom... You are welcome anytime. Give me a call.. and don't forget to bring your kids/Grandkids etc. for a ride on the train.

------------------
Frank
Posted By: Tom Stover Re: Back yard Gas Stations - Fri Feb 27 2004 04:39 AM
No kids (that I know of!!), but I'd like to go for a ride in the train. All aboard!!!!!
Posted By: fast66 Re: Back yard Gas Stations - Fri Feb 27 2004 06:55 AM
Hello, last weekend one of my boys and I were away on a hockey tournament. The hockey was great and even greater was that I got to visit a guy called Jorma who is a collector of gas and oil. He has built a complete Gulf station both out- and indoors in an old concrete factory, and he has also restored an old Esso station building from the 40's. I' start by showing the little Esso building, and will come in later with the Gulf station.
Enjoy!
Claes - Sweden

...and here are some pictures of the GULF part...

[This message has been edited by fast66 (edited 03-03-2004).]
Posted By: GAS ALLEY Re: Back yard Gas Stations - Mon Mar 01 2004 12:14 AM
MY INSIDE STATION OF MY SHOP. MY SHOP IS 78' LONG AND IT COVERS THE WHOLE WALL.
[IMG]http://img30.photobucket.com/albums/v89/GASALLEY/GASSTATION/GASSTATION3.jpg
http://img30.photobucket.com/albums/v89/GASALLEY/GASSTATION/GASSTATION2.jpg
http://img30.photobucket.com/albums/v89/GASALLEY/GASSTATION/GASSTATION.jpg[/IMG]
Posted By: GAS ALLEY Re: Back yard Gas Stations - Mon Mar 01 2004 12:18 AM
TRYING AGAIN

[This message has been edited by GAS ALLEY (edited 03-02-2004).]

[This message has been edited by GAS ALLEY (edited 03-02-2004).]
Posted By: fast66 Re: Back yard Gas Stations - Wed Mar 03 2004 12:07 PM
What great "old" stations!
Just wanted to brig it to the top again as I added some pics from the Gulf station I visited last weekend.
//Claes
Posted By: djhubba Re: Back yard Gas Stations - Wed Mar 03 2004 03:09 PM
Claes..Thats an outstanding Gulf Station..way cool..Thanks for sharing. Milt That is a way cool station as well...what great dispalys and playgrounds. Very Nice.

------------------
Posted By: big cheese Re: Back yard Gas Stations - Fri Mar 05 2004 01:14 AM
super looking photos, right on, cheese
Posted By: c cragg Re: Back yard Gas Stations - Fri Mar 05 2004 01:56 AM
I'm new to Oldgas and I have some photos of my backyard station. I just need someone to post them for me because I'm a techno-geek and don't know how to post them myself. If you can put them on for me you can email me at ccraggfamily@aol.com and I will email them to you (at least I know how to do that).

Thanks
Posted By: T-way Re: Back yard Gas Stations - Fri Mar 05 2004 11:20 AM
c cragg:

Shoot 'em to me and I'll post them for you on Monday.

jamestreadway@email.com

Later . . .

Jim
Posted By: Scott Shipers Re: Back yard Gas Stations - Fri Mar 05 2004 11:47 AM
Here are the cool pictures that CCragg sent of his backyard station.
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4dd24b3127cceb99ffec72b020000003610[/img]
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4dd24b3127cceb99ffecf2b0a0000003610[/img]

------------------
Scott in Kansas City
quarts@mindspring.com
Posted By: c cragg Re: Back yard Gas Stations - Fri Mar 05 2004 01:55 PM
Scott, thanks a zillion for posting my pictures. You've made a fine contribution to assisting the internet challenged. My station is the outdoor entertainment area for my game room which is in the barn next to it. It's a one stop station and drive through diner, you can eat and get gas. If anyone is ever driving around Solvang look me up and I will give you a tour of the other stations around the area. You're a good man quarts.
Posted By: djhubba Re: Back yard Gas Stations - Fri Mar 05 2004 02:06 PM
Looks Great ..Me likes , me likes.

------------------
Posted By: Scott Shipers Re: Back yard Gas Stations - Sun Mar 07 2004 12:09 AM
Here is a backyard station that I photographed today in Grain Valley, Missouri.
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4dd27b3127cceb98a175662ea0000003610[/img]

------------------
Scott in Kansas City
quarts@mindspring.com
Posted By: +Chris Holt Re: Back yard Gas Stations - Sun Mar 07 2004 12:53 PM
These Backyard gas stations are great, I have several Ideas for mine now , hopefully if everything go's right , I can start this summer, keep the Pictures coming
Posted By: Tim Rohr Re: Back yard Gas Stations - Mon Mar 08 2004 12:14 PM
I just posted this picture under it's own heading before I realized that there was a thread set up for back yard stations.
Posted By: TMC Re: Back yard Gas Stations - Fri Mar 12 2004 03:28 AM
Hi to all,I'd like to show a couple of pictures of a 76 station.Is there any one who will post them for me.Thanks Tom. The station is in Pacific Wa.Mrs. Campbell and her husband ran the station she lives just down the street.My mom has owned the place for 11 years,runs the post office and has the gift shop.The lube room was added later and was where the bay window is on the left.

[This message has been edited by TMC (edited 03-16-2004).]
Posted By: scootdog Re: Back yard Gas Stations - Fri Mar 12 2004 03:45 AM
Here are the photos from Tom McCulley

Before

Today
Neat spot Tom!

[This message has been edited by scootdog (edited 03-12-2004).]
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: Back yard Gas Stations - Fri Mar 12 2004 10:54 PM
HERE'S ONE I SAW IN(?) PAINTED POST, NEW YORK WHILE ON A EBAY
RELATED ROADTRIP. THE GUY IN THE MOTEL TOLD ME ABOUT THIS PLACE!
ANYWAY, HERE'S TWO VIEWS OF THIS
NICE BUT ANONYMOUS SIDEYARD GARAGE:

Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: Back yard Gas Stations - Fri Mar 12 2004 11:47 PM
ON ANOTHER ROAD TRIP BUYING A SIGN FROM A FELLOW COLLECTOR IN OHIO. THIS IS HIS BACKYARD GET- AWAY (2 VIEWS):

Posted By: scootdog Re: Back yard Gas Stations - Thu Jul 08 2004 02:34 AM
Here is another photo to add to this post:
Ivan Fietcher of Denver has this one in his backyard. He is a big ford guy as you can tell.

Scott
Posted By: JW55767 Re: Back yard Gas Stations - Tue Jul 17 2018 05:46 PM
After four or five years of day-dreaming and talking about building a backyard gas station to house all the petroliana that I have accumulated over some fifty years, I realized that I had better get down to business since I am not getting any younger! I have a 40x60 building in which I currently store most of it along with a few old cars. My first thought was to erect two non load bearing walls in one corner of my building and have an indoor gas station in the 15x15 area that I use for an office.

Then I realized that an outdoor gas station would free up enough space in my 40x60 that I could possibly actually work on a car and move around a lot more easily. Not only that, I already had a cement slab nearby that once supported a one car garage that we tore down when we first purchased the property. I bit the bullet earlier this month and purchased a pre-built "cabin" that I really liked. It is 14x24, 4' of which is a covered porch on the front end. So, my plan is to finish off the inside and then transfer most of what is in my 15x15 office into what is a 14x20 space.

I was so excited when the structure was delivered that I could not sleep that night. I don't have a plan on paper yet, but the layout is etched in my brain. I will post before and after pics as soon as I have it finished. My personal goal is to have everything done before the first snow. Wish me luck!
Posted By: Oldgas Moderator Re: Back yard Gas Stations - Tue Jul 17 2018 07:15 PM
Sounds like a great project. Keep us updated, especially photos along the way.
Posted By: Gulf Warrior Re: Back yard Gas Stations - Tue Jul 17 2018 11:45 PM
Thanks to JW55767 for reviving this thread. There are some beautiful pictures here. I don't have a backyard, but if any of you are ever in CT, Carter Hill Filling Station is on CT-66 a little west of CT-2 in Marlborough.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: st.rod Re: Back yard Gas Stations - Wed Jul 18 2018 02:16 AM
Whoa, this is an old thread. 2002... Another time and lot of friends gone. R.I.P. everyone

Larry
Posted By: JW55767 Re: Back yard Gas Stations - Thu Jul 19 2018 03:40 PM
Here are a couple of pics to give you some idea of what I have been talking about. Please be gentle in your comments as this is still very much a work in progress! As you can see the pumps are not yet in place. I have to wait until my son in law and grandson stop by to give me a hand. I am not focused on any one brand so the outside is going to continue to look fairly generic. One of the globes on the pumps will say "Regular" and the other, "Gasoline".

Attached picture DSC05175.JPG
Attached picture DSC05171.JPG
Posted By: Gulf Warrior Re: Back yard Gas Stations - Thu Jul 19 2018 06:10 PM
I notice that a lot of petro buffs like Coca-Cola collectibles as well. I've been thinking about getting into that because my dad worked for Coke, Pepsi, and RC. Can anyone here fill me in on that hobby?
Posted By: moparjess Re: Back yard Gas Stations - Thu Jul 19 2018 08:20 PM
Our backyard station 😁

Attached picture 20180719_151727.jpg
Attached picture 20180719_150139.jpg
Attached picture 20180719_150103.jpg
Attached picture 20180719_152000.jpg
Posted By: JW55767 Re: Back yard Gas Stations - Tue Aug 07 2018 05:09 PM
Pumps are back up. "GAS" sign is home made and purposely painted rough to give it a vintage look.

Attached picture DSC05251.JPG
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: Back yard Gas Stations - Tue Aug 07 2018 08:02 PM
Very nice.
Posted By: SandPCollector Re: Back yard Gas Stations - Tue Aug 07 2018 08:07 PM
Both the stations moparjess and JW55767 have created have that "back in the day" look. Well done.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk