Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Gas Pump Rob An alternative way to load gas pumps video - Wed Jan 15 2020 02:14 PM
[font:Arial Black][/font]

Hello members ,
I decided it’s better to buy a wheelchair lift than end up in a wheelchair!!!! This idea came to me a year ago when a good friend who is handicapped visited me and showed me his new used van with a wheelchair lift. He let me play around with it and I told him I wanted a lift like it. He look puzzled until I told him what my intentions were. He loved my idea and he started sending me Craig’s list links in his spare time until we found the right one for my project at the right price. I am not finished with this project yet but I am heading back up north to pick up the second half of my 25 pumps with guts and also mega parts so I decided to move this project forward. I still need to build a batter tray, and a housing to protect the motor/pump assembly from the elements. Please feel free to post comments on my idea. Yes I could have spent the big bucks on an electric hand truck but this entire project so far has cost me under $400.00 !!!!

[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/igZXiA6piRI[/video]

Posted By: Ryan Underthun Re: An alternative way to load gas pumps video - Wed Jan 15 2020 04:09 PM
Cool!
Posted By: Done4 Re: An alternative way to load gas pumps video - Wed Jan 15 2020 06:42 PM
Like the thinking on that, great idea! Installation looked rather easy, was the wiring complicated?
Posted By: Gas Pump Rob Re: An alternative way to load gas pumps video - Wed Jan 15 2020 06:54 PM
The handheld controller was missing and I had to adapt a different controller. Also for van installations they have safety switches like door and park interlocks that I did not need and had to bypass. All in all nothing terribly difficult. With the free PDF manual with schematics pretty straight forward.

Rob
Posted By: Oldgas Re: An alternative way to load gas pumps video - Wed Jan 15 2020 08:43 PM
That is awesome, Rob. That has to be safer, especially if you are by yourself. Did you find a weight rating on the unit?
Posted By: Gas Pump Rob Re: An alternative way to load gas pumps video - Wed Jan 15 2020 08:54 PM
Hi Jim,
Thanks, The weight limit on this unit is 800 LBS this should be plenty sufficient for the pumps I collect . Thanks for embedding my videos!

Rob
Posted By: Coops 427 Re: An alternative way to load gas pumps video - Wed Jan 15 2020 11:34 PM
Nice Rob! I want to see it in action at Iowa. Keep the great videos coming.
Posted By: Gasman84470 Re: An alternative way to load gas pumps video - Thu Jan 16 2020 12:21 AM
Great idea, will prevent bilateral clavicle fractures! Nice hack Rob.
My senior dogs would love the lift up into the back of the ride but they would likely find it a tad too slow.😜
Posted By: pumpingethyl Re: An alternative way to load gas pumps video - Thu Jan 16 2020 01:19 AM
NICE Rob!
Posted By: Gas Pump Rob Re: An alternative way to load gas pumps video - Thu Jan 16 2020 02:27 AM
[quote=Gasman84470]Great idea, will prevent bilateral clavicle fractures! Nice hack Rob.

Thanks guys!

Fred,
I still remember the pain from that gas pump accident!!! Whenever I lift and move a heavy pump that accident comes to mind !

Rob
Posted By: Gas Pump Rob Re: An alternative way to load gas pumps video - Thu Jan 16 2020 02:29 AM
Originally Posted by Coops 427
Nice Rob! I want to see it in action at Iowa. Keep the great videos coming.

Hello Matt,
Yes this will be working in Iowa as long as it holds up to my abuse!!! Lol

Rob
Posted By: 57-Chevy Re: An alternative way to load gas pumps video - Thu Jan 16 2020 03:19 AM
Great idea Rob! I already found 2 of these lifts here locally. Both were removed from old buses for just a little over $200.
Posted By: MATT ALVAREZ Re: An alternative way to load gas pumps video - Thu Jan 16 2020 03:47 AM
Very cool
Posted By: RandyM Re: An alternative way to load gas pumps video - Thu Jan 16 2020 01:11 PM
What a great idea. Thank you for posting.
Posted By: kjsplichal67 Re: An alternative way to load gas pumps video - Thu Jan 16 2020 09:07 PM
Nice!!!
Oh ya, thanx for posting this idea!
The gears in my head are churning as to how I will incorporate/fabricate one of these onto my car hauler trailer. I'm thinking of some sort of removable setup that hooks into the 2X4 pockets on one of the sides forward of the axles.
Everybody inspired by this post should post your fabrication results on this thread! I will once I get something done.
Posted By: Gas Pump Rob Re: An alternative way to load gas pumps video - Fri Jan 17 2020 03:42 AM
Thanks for all the positive feedback. If anyone tries this make sure you use high strength steel bolts and definitely back up a wood trailer deck with a thick steel plate from underneath. The leverage/force is high on the back side and you would not want an accident. Furthermore I have the bolts going into two of the trailer steel angle iron frame parts as well as the two by six deck and the 3/8 steel plate. I will be testing this out and will provide feedback if any issues arise. So far I am pleased with it. I want to find a way to attach a safety harness that will wrap around the pump to avoid any possibility of the pump tipping if lifting on a slope.

Rob
Nice work Rob!
Posted By: Gas Pump Rob Re: An alternative way to load gas pumps video - Mon Jan 20 2020 03:48 AM
Thanks Rob,
I will be back on the road traveling North again the end of this week to pickup the second load of non gutted pumps. This will be the ultimate test for this lift idea. Let’s see how well it can hold up!

Rob
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk