Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: NationsAttic Phillips 66 Curb Sign - Shown In Original Photo! - Mon Oct 02 2017 02:38 AM
Last week we had the fortune of picking up a really nice Phillips 66 curb or lubester sign. The seller mentioned that his grandfather owned a gas station during the 1930's until 1965. He had inherited the sign years ago but no longer had a place for it.

After making a deal, we picked the sign up. It was actually better than anticipated - a beauty with the original ring and base marked Phillips Petroleum Co.

After talking to the owner a bit he mentioned that he had a photo of his grandfathers station and it showed the sign - wow! Below is a photo of the station in Iowa and to the left edge is the sign.

The owner was kind enough to provide us a copy of the photo as shown above. He said the station was on the first level and his grandparents lived on the second level. It wasn't until 1952 that they had running water! Lastly he mentioned that the "station" and now a house is still there. Below is a Google Street View of the actual location at the same angle - how cool. It looks like at some point the owners added on to the house where the pumps were located. I wonder if they know that section was a gas pump island for decades?

While rare, it's always such a thrill to see something like this sign in its original location in a photo. One day I hope to have a reason to drive by this house and share with them this bit of history. Enjoy!

Don

Attached picture 6210.jpg
Attached picture 66station-1.jpg
Attached picture 66station-2.jpg
Attached picture phil 66-2.jpg
sign is in xlnt condition with all the documentation- cool story, congratulations .. ... cool
appears the little shed that was on the back of the gas station is still now on the back of the house .. ... cool
Thanks. I couldn't believe it when searching the Google street view and finding it!
Posted By: Steven C. Re: Phillips 66 Curb Sign - Shown In Original Photo! - Mon Oct 02 2017 07:57 AM
Wow, awesome sign!! Phillips logo looks great on that white background!
Great sign and story smile
Nice sign Don!
The sign is really cool, but the story (with photos!) is fantastic! Congratulations, nice to have a piece with that amount of documented history to go with it.
Posted By: Steven C. Re: Phillips 66 Curb Sign - Shown In Original Photo! - Mon Oct 02 2017 10:53 PM
I couldn't agree more with your posting g and what others have said. Seeing a piece in an old photo just brings it home. Brings it alive. Makes it real. I hope to some day be able to display many of my pieces with a photo hanging right next to it. Showing it in its proper environment.
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: Phillips 66 Curb Sign - Shown In Original Photo! - Mon Oct 02 2017 11:30 PM
Very nice....always great to hear when someone finds a sign with documentation and a photo of it in it's original environment. I am lucky to own one sign from Hillsdale from the 1920's, along with a photo of it on the building. Agreed, doesn't get much better than that! Congrats on the buy.
Darin
Posted By: BrianH Re: Phillips 66 Curb Sign - Shown In Original Photo! - Tue Oct 03 2017 12:19 AM
Great sign and great story. The story, photos and the sign really bring home the passage of time and the changes. The only thing that hasn't changed much is the sign! Cool story.

BrianH
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Phillips 66 Curb Sign - Shown In Original Photo! - Tue Oct 03 2017 01:06 AM
Great find and wonderful story. Made my day!
Thanks everyone! Tonight I followed up with the seller of the sign. He told me his family sold the house in the 1970's. Apparently 1965 is when the station closed and became a full time house. It is located in Northern Iowa. Hopefully one day I will have a reason to be in the area. I don't know if showing the current home owner a photo of the property from the 1930's as a gas station would excite them or not, but I will keep you all updated.

Don
Great story.
Love it!! The story and history on that is so great. Congratulations.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk