Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: AKOIL Thought I would share my recently restored pumps - Thu Apr 20 2017 03:40 PM
Hello all

just finished two pump projects and wanted to share them
these are my first restoration attempts

enjoy

on the Bennett I wasn't sure on what direction to take on it until I peeled back some of the paint and discovered at one time it had the eagle. it was an easy decision after seeing it

Attached picture before.jpg
Attached picture pump.jpg
Attached picture pump2.jpg
Posted By: AKOIL Re: Thought I would share my recently restored pumps - Thu Apr 20 2017 03:41 PM
second pump was easy as I have always wanted a Sinclair pump

Attached picture IMG_1590.JPG
Attached picture GB_before.jpg
Attached picture GB_before2.jpg
Attached picture GB_completed.JPG
Posted By: AKOIL Re: Thought I would share my recently restored pumps - Thu Apr 20 2017 03:45 PM
I now have the pump virus and recently got two more.
by the way, vintage pumps in Alaska are hard to find!

Attached picture Bennet_pump.jpg
Attached picture IMG_1792.jpg
Pumps look awesome...I also like the Challenger!
Posted By: pickurt Re: Thought I would share my recently restored pumps - Thu Apr 20 2017 06:28 PM
They came out great.

Posted By: Done4 Re: Thought I would share my recently restored pumps - Thu Apr 20 2017 07:47 PM
Very nice job on the restoration but I would have tried to save the original branding on the Richfield but that's just me.
Posted By: Rabbitman Re: Thought I would share my recently restored pumps - Thu Apr 20 2017 08:16 PM
Nice looking pumps. I'm sure they are a little harder to find up there....GB
Posted By: AKOIL Re: Thought I would share my recently restored pumps - Thu Apr 20 2017 09:03 PM
thanks for all the comments

Done4- I tried to keep the original paint but it just didn't work out.
Great looking pumps. I love those 541 Bennetts.
Posted By: Yellow57 Re: Thought I would share my recently restored pumps - Thu Apr 20 2017 10:34 PM
Very cool to see the progress, what did you use to find the decals ?
Nice pumps
Nice job, Look forward to seeing the other ones done. Thanks for sharing, a lot of people do not do that any more. I like the 541 the best. I have more of them than I should, but I really like them.
Posted By: AKOIL Re: Thought I would share my recently restored pumps - Fri Apr 21 2017 08:44 PM
Yellow57-i used aircraft stripper on the old paint to expose the original decals/paint. it works very well as it only takes a layer off at a time.

I really struggled with keeping the Bennett all original especially since the decals starting popping thru the old paint. I'm glad I went with the restored look
Posted By: Done4 Re: Thought I would share my recently restored pumps - Fri Apr 21 2017 08:51 PM
Glad to hear you considered keeping it as the original branded pump. Sometimes it just just doesn't happen, thanks for the reply.
Cool pumps. good job!
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk