Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Done4 Wayne 50 rusto - update - Mon Jan 30 2017 06:08 PM
Thought I would share my progress on my wayne. This has been a slooooow process to say the least, lots left to do.

A special shout out to Matt Alvarez who gave me the push to do this and all of his help and sharing his techniques with me. How many guys would do that! Ya got to love the inter web allowing us to talk back and forth.

When I found this pump it had a small Gulf 10.5 globe on it (might be wrong on size) missing front and back lower panels but a big thanks to John Kramer he led me to one and he found the other. Love this community.

It was missing so much paint that I was on the fence, restore or rust-o. So after talking to Matt it was decided to go for it and if it sucked I would restore it. Initially just brushed cleaned it and then brush painted it, man it was like painting a small island but got the outside done. After the orange I used wood stain per Matt's suggestion. After I gently wiped it down I used some stain clear but it was way too shinny so I ended up using flat clear which I really like. The best part was the paint made the flakes stable which was what I wanted. I was going to paint the base a dark blue but as I cleaned I found some white on the inside so that will be done when I'm done with the wiring which has been a bear, popping the circuit breakers 3 times so far. I've learned to a have flashlight in hand when testing it in the pole barn.

As said there still is a ton to do and it's slow. I shooting for the end of April will keep you posted. Les

Attached picture as found.JPG
Attached picture update 1.jpg
Attached picture update 2.jpg
Attached picture update 3 flake sm.jpg
Posted By: SandPCollector Re: Wayne 50 rusto - update - Mon Jan 30 2017 06:41 PM
Looking good! I personally love the rustoration look!
Posted By: LOWright Re: Wayne 50 rusto - update - Mon Jan 30 2017 09:30 PM
Looking good Les! Matt is the right guy to ask for rustoration tips...I love those showcase pumps..Love'em!!!
Posted By: Bass Master Re: Wayne 50 rusto - update - Mon Jan 30 2017 09:39 PM
Les, Looks awesome!! Cant wait to see it finished.
Brian
Posted By: Gas Pump Rob Re: Wayne 50 rusto - update - Tue Jan 31 2017 01:54 AM
Oh yeah!!!!! I love it! That is the look we pay dearly for LOL!

Yes Matt is the master of fabricated patina!

Rob
Posted By: MATT ALVAREZ Re: Wayne 50 rusto - update - Tue Jan 31 2017 04:09 AM
It looks much better with the flat clear. It will be awesome filled with product.
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Wayne 50 rusto - update - Tue Jan 31 2017 10:37 AM
That rustoration looks great. Nice work.
Posted By: Gas Pump Rob Re: Wayne 50 rusto - update - Wed Feb 01 2017 02:00 AM
Now you need a good set of used faces!

Rob
Posted By: bsplichal95 Re: Wayne 50 rusto - update - Wed Feb 01 2017 02:09 AM
Wow!! That looks fantastic!!
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: Wayne 50 rusto - update - Sun Feb 05 2017 09:34 AM
Nice pump...I want one!
Posted By: Rjhart123 Re: Wayne 50 rusto - update - Sun Feb 05 2017 12:07 PM
Looking great Les. Keep up the good work. I'm thinking about doing one of these paint jobs on one of my duplex pumps.
Posted By: Done4 Re: Wayne 50 rusto - update - Sun Feb 05 2017 04:13 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind comments.

I finally got the electrical sorted out, man with only 40W bulbs this baby really lights the room up. Yesterday I got the computer to work again. My next task is to clean the upper inside as best as I can then paint and stain the compartment. When I'm done I'll post pics of how it turned out.

Working from the inside out has not been fun or easy but I think it's worth it to keep the outside in tact.

Ron a duplex would be killer using Matt's technique.

Les
Posted By: Done4 Re: Wayne 50 rusto - update - Wed Feb 15 2017 07:51 PM
Well I finished the inside of the computer compartment and wiring, really glad that's mostly done. I'll have to go back and tweak some of the color and shading but that will be the last thing I do.

So now it's on to the inside of the display cabinet. Interesting to me was the inside of the window frames and pump frames where a warm grey which I will try to match as closely as I can and do that first and move on from there.

I put the globe that was on the pump when I found it just to see what it looked like and I think it is prefect for this pump. It's long in the tooth and dirty inside but I just dig the heck out of it.

Attached picture inside left.jpg
Attached picture inside right.jpg
Attached picture top half.jpg
Attached picture globe.jpg
Posted By: Done4 Re: Wayne 50 rusto - update - Wed Feb 15 2017 07:52 PM
Here's the pump lite up, it works!

Attached picture pump.JPG
Posted By: Steven C. Re: Wayne 50 rusto - update - Wed Feb 15 2017 10:50 PM
Wow Les, looking really good!! It's going to be beautiful when done. Your going to have to clear out a place in the living room for it.
Posted By: Done4 Re: Wayne 50 rusto - update - Sun Mar 19 2017 03:23 PM
Been pecking away on the pump now I'm waiting for the large pieces of glass and some tweaks and then into the great room, job one "don't break the glass! I did get some reproduction Firestone lens and now I need some opinions. I initially was going with the Gulf globe that was on the pump when I found it but now I'm not sure which way to go. Gulf or the Firestone?

What do you think guys?

Attached picture gulf sm.jpg
Attached picture Full Size Render small.jpg
Posted By: BlkAngus Re: Wayne 50 rusto - update - Sun Mar 19 2017 03:40 PM
Looks Great!!!
Go with the Firestone
Posted By: LOWright Re: Wayne 50 rusto - update - Sun Mar 19 2017 04:15 PM
Firestone...
Posted By: Bass Master Re: Wayne 50 rusto - update - Sun Mar 19 2017 05:00 PM
I am a tire guy, Firestone all the way. smile
Brian
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Wayne 50 rusto - update - Sun Mar 19 2017 05:08 PM
Boy, I sure like the looks of it with that Firestone badging!
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: Wayne 50 rusto - update - Sun Mar 19 2017 06:30 PM
I like the look of the Gulf globe. The blue on the Firestone globe seems too bright/light when compared to the signs. Maybe painting the body a dark blue might help.
Posted By: philmccauley Re: Wayne 50 rusto - update - Mon Mar 20 2017 12:29 AM
Agree with firestone
Posted By: bsplichal95 Re: Wayne 50 rusto - update - Mon Mar 20 2017 01:17 AM
Firestone! Awesome job!
Posted By: MATT ALVAREZ Re: Wayne 50 rusto - update - Mon Mar 20 2017 01:24 AM
Originally Posted By Dave's Garage
I like the look of the Gulf globe. The blue on the Firestone globe seems too bright/light when compared to the signs. Maybe painting the body a dark blue might help.

The blue looks light because he might have too bright of a bulb in it. Here is a link when I posted mine. http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=677054 There is a picture lit and unlit. The blue is not light.
Posted By: hancock-oil Re: Wayne 50 rusto - update - Mon Mar 20 2017 01:30 AM
Looks Killer. I'd go Firestone!!!! Jim
Posted By: Done4 Re: Wayne 50 rusto - update - Mon Mar 20 2017 02:33 AM
Thank you everyone. Matt I have a 40 watt bulb in it and the blue is still a little light but I'm going to go lower wattage. I like the repop with the low profile body but I like it being the way I found the pump and Gulf globe on the pump. I'll rotate the globes and enjoy them both. My wife " flight control" likes the Gulf.
Posted By: hotrodfun1 Re: Wayne 50 rusto - update - Mon Mar 20 2017 04:14 AM
Looks great.
Posted By: Steven C. Re: Wayne 50 rusto - update - Mon Mar 20 2017 07:11 AM
Wow Les, looks amazing! Great job. I like the idea of rotating the globes.
Posted By: JimT Re: Wayne 50 rusto - update - Mon Mar 20 2017 08:55 AM
I like the firestone too. Maybe try a 7watt incandescent bulb?Maybe even a small amber bulb. Pump is really great....
Posted By: Done4 Re: Wayne 50 rusto - update - Sun Aug 13 2017 03:02 PM
I thought I would finish my thread on the 50 rust-o-ation with the pump in the great room and share it with everyone. The plan was to have it in by May but projects on the house and property pushed it back. As always it took a lot longer to get her in, 2 1/2 days of moving stuff around to fit it in but it's finally home as of yesterday. I would also like to give a big shout out to Matt Alvarez and John Kramer for the advise and help finding a couple of key pieces.

Attached picture 1-sm.jpg
Attached picture 2-sm.jpg
Attached picture 3-sm.jpg
Posted By: advertologist Re: Wayne 50 rusto - update - Sun Aug 13 2017 03:08 PM
a lot of eye candy in the great room, good choice doing the pump in firestone - looks good .. ... cool
Posted By: Gasman84470 Re: Wayne 50 rusto - update - Sun Aug 13 2017 08:29 PM
Fantastic Firestone 50. Eye candy indeed. I like the bathroom sign. Looks like "Natural gas starts ....here"
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Wayne 50 rusto - update - Mon Aug 14 2017 02:37 AM
Great looking pump. Nice job Les.

-Steve
Posted By: MATT ALVAREZ Re: Wayne 50 rusto - update - Mon Aug 14 2017 02:46 AM
It looks awesome on display in your great room.
Posted By: Done4 Re: Wayne 50 rusto - update - Mon Aug 14 2017 01:55 PM
Thanks guys.

Fred, you have eagle eyes, some time ago I bought a small collection and this sign was included. We thought it was a good place to hang it.

Attached picture room.jpg
Posted By: Gasman84470 Re: Wayne 50 rusto - update - Mon Aug 14 2017 11:28 PM
There's a lot of humor and sign puns in the washroom. Great stuff to go with the display pump. Love it.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk