Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: eric grinder US Cord Tires Milk Glass Sign - Sat Jan 02 2016 12:09 AM
Hey all, I was lucky to purchase this very unique early US Cord Tires double sided milk glass letter sign. I am currently working on getting the metal work done on it to straighten out the damage on the edges. Also will be rewiring it to bring it back to its glory. I hadn't seen another of these and wanted to share. I was really hoping someone has seen another so I could find out what the original color is? From what is left on the sign is appears to have been a mustard yellow? But take a look at the bracket on top..it's the orange color the company used on it's signs. Any help would be appreciated. I'd really love to see this sign in an image back in the day in use. Havent been able to find one yet. Thanks

Attached picture tire1.jpg
Posted By: pumpingethyl Re: US Cord Tires Milk Glass Sign - Sat Jan 02 2016 12:17 AM
Let's see the Firestone
Posted By: eric grinder Re: US Cord Tires Milk Glass Sign - Sat Jan 02 2016 12:24 AM
Dennis you spotted that too quick..lol. I need a few letters for that baby before she comes out to play.
Posted By: 57tbirdkid Re: US Cord Tires Milk Glass Sign - Sat Jan 02 2016 12:29 AM
It should be the darker orange like all the us signs from that era. Nice buy on both signs I knew someone local would go get them fast.
Posted By: eric grinder Re: US Cord Tires Milk Glass Sign - Sat Jan 02 2016 12:32 AM
OK here is the other gem I bought in the deal. Looking for a few letters as shown. My 6 yr old wanted to help make a few small letters out of her construction paper so I need a few of those as shown too..lol

Attached picture firestone1.jpg
Posted By: Boxcar Re: US Cord Tires Milk Glass Sign - Sat Jan 02 2016 01:58 AM
Ok all bear with me... I too have a milk glass sign that needs some/all the letters. My thougt is to get some 1/8 or 1/16 thick white plexi or plastic of some type...and maybe use a heat gun and a vacuum arrangement. Crazy I know, but??? I had tought of how to isolate the heat and vacuum to individual letters at a time.

Nice signs there
Posted By: eric grinder Re: US Cord Tires Milk Glass Sign - Sat Jan 02 2016 02:45 AM
Boxcar, funny you mention that. On Monday Im going to a place that sells colored acrylic and just cut to fit squares and clip them in as a temp fix. Will still look decent until letters can be made or found. As for getting them made. The money is in getting a mold done. They can be reproduced but its not cheap.
Posted By: bsplichal95 Re: US Cord Tires Milk Glass Sign - Sat Jan 02 2016 02:52 AM
Those signs are both fantastic!
Posted By: Nicole Re: US Cord Tires Milk Glass Sign - Sat Jan 02 2016 04:08 AM
I'd say construction paper temporary letters should be good until you get original--something your daughter would be proud to have helped with. smile

And if those flat white ones are her construction letters, what a great job she did!
Posted By: GILMORE Re: US Cord Tires Milk Glass Sign - Sat Jan 02 2016 06:02 AM
Boxcar, I've used a charcoal lighter (heating element) to soften plastic. Then use a screwdriver with a round handle/knob end to press the shape into the plastic.
Posted By: Boxcar Re: US Cord Tires Milk Glass Sign - Sat Jan 02 2016 01:25 PM
eric...money can make it...glad those pieces found you.
GILMORE....Excellent idea..
Posted By: Neil Gerrard Re: US Cord Tires Milk Glass Sign - Sun Jan 03 2016 01:19 AM
saw those on ebay, I figured someone would talk him in to ending the auctions early, congrats
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk