Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Boxcar I'm starting to better appreciate paper. - Fri Oct 16 2015 11:59 PM
Found this calendar this morning on my way to work. Was tough leaving that estate sale and go on into work today but I remind myself not to be greedy. lol

Being a retired USAF guy, I love that the guy is Army Air Corps Precedes establishment of the independent USAF by 3yrs!!! (Sep 18 1947) I believe this one found me today!

I've got a stash of old sawmill cut lumber that will make a nice frame. I'll be sure to show it off when done!

The fine print, upper left says "It's your world, Son."
Posted By: hri_2008 Re: I'm starting to better appreciate paper. - Sat Oct 17 2015 12:08 AM
Great looking calendar. Love that old style GoodYear color logo.
I have always loved paper, mostly 1930's, 40's & 50's movie posters and general store counter top displays.
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: I'm starting to better appreciate paper. - Sat Oct 17 2015 12:45 AM
Nice calendar...

I love paper petroliana items and have been a paper and ephemera collector since I was a kid. Like I've said many times before, I don't think these paper/cardboard items get the prices they deserve as they are usually much more rare than tin and porcelain pieces. Most of these paper items were meant for short term use, then disposed of. We are lucky some station owners either never used them or happened to store them rather than pitch them so some of the great artwork and graphic design of posters, etc. survives today.
Darin
Posted By: puregas Re: I'm starting to better appreciate paper. - Sat Oct 17 2015 12:52 AM
I was sitting here looking at the calendar and reading it and said "what the heck!?". That store was right here in my town one block off the square. The building is long gone. I know you would probably never let it go, but please keep me in mind if you were to. Funny how things get moved around the country from their original location. People didn't get rid of stuff back then. I love all the boy's toys. Especially the Corsair. Pat
Posted By: Boxcar Re: I'm starting to better appreciate paper. - Sat Oct 17 2015 09:48 AM
hri 2008: agree

DWSheffer: The price was reasonable for sure. I'm thinking of going back this morning. There was a Sinclair 1944 calendar but the image on it was Washington wintering at Valley Forge... The only redeeming quality was that Sinclair was written on it. ????decisions, decisions.

puregas: IF... I go back, I may have a chance for another one of your local calendars. I might PM ya soon. As far as movement of a piece throughout the country... I agree. I believe we're all just caretakers that pull these collections together that eventually flow back out to other enthusiast like a tide. The cycle continues...
Posted By: pickurt Re: I'm starting to better appreciate paper. - Sat Oct 17 2015 02:03 PM
Fun piece of history. Thanks for sharing.

Kurt
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk