Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: LotsofStuff TOUR WITH TEXACO Letters For Sale - Fri Nov 01 2019 10:47 AM
Hi
I posted "TOUR WITH TEXACO" letters for sale on Ebay today.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/293306737847

Thanks👍

Attached picture IMG_8544.JPG
Posted By: Alex Re: TOUR WITH TEXACO Letters For Sale - Fri Nov 01 2019 05:31 PM
Hi. I don't want to take this "off topic", my question is I noticed there are holes in the "Tour With". In looking at the tanker youhave pictured there are no holes and in the set I purchased from a guy and I removed them from an early 1960s tanker didn't have holes. Wonder if you, or anyone, has any thoughts on that?

Attached picture Texaco Letters Tour With.jpg
Posted By: KentuckyT Re: TOUR WITH TEXACO Letters For Sale - Fri Nov 01 2019 11:09 PM
Alex,

I noticed that too. The sets I owned had mounts on the reverse side. However, I did have a set of 5" letters with mounting holes. I don't believe it's out of the realm of possibilities that there were different sets made for different tanker applications (more of a retrofit to older tank bodies).

Jamie
Posted By: LotsofStuff Re: TOUR WITH TEXACO Letters For Sale - Fri Nov 01 2019 11:31 PM
I don't know.
But I made the statement in the listing for 3 reasons.

1. There was a note with the letters that said they were displayed/used on the Texaco Tankers. The Tour With Texaco letters were kept with a toy bank of a 1934 Doodlebug (even though the bank has a Texaco decal on the back).

2. On page 8 of the Tour With Texaco book by Rick Pease the picture shows holes in all Tour With Texaco Letters.

3. When I did my research I found this site https://texacotankerproject.com/diamond-t-texaco-tanker/
It's a site that shows pictures of the restoration of another Texaco tanker. One of the pictures of the restoration project shows the Texaco Letters on the side and in that picture, the letters appear to be attached through holes in the letters. I assumed the Tour With Texaco lettering on the back of the tanker would be installed in the same way as the Texaco lettering on the side of the tanker and both raised off the body of the tanker.

However, when you look at the finished restoration, you can't see the holes.

As I looked for information I just never thought to question the holes

Question: Do you know any other place where the Tour With Texaco Letters were used/displayed?

Attached picture Restoration project.JPG
Attached picture finished letters no sign of holes.JPG
Attached picture finished letters no sign of holes tour with texaco.JPG
Posted By: reb Re: TOUR WITH TEXACO Letters For Sale - Sat Nov 02 2019 12:41 AM
My 4 1/4 inch letters have the mounting holes

Attached picture 20191101_191919 (Medium).jpg
Attached picture 20191101_191923 (Medium).jpg
Attached picture 20191101_191930 (Medium).jpg
Posted By: Rsljr1 Re: TOUR WITH TEXACO Letters For Sale - Sat Nov 02 2019 12:51 AM
check with Steve at texacotankerproject.com
Posted By: LotsofStuff Re: TOUR WITH TEXACO Letters For Sale - Sat Nov 02 2019 08:34 AM
Originally Posted by Rsljr1
check with Steve at texacotankerproject.com

That is the website I where my investigation and the pictures I used above and in the Ebay listing came from
Posted By: LotsofStuff Re: TOUR WITH TEXACO Letters For Sale - Sat Nov 02 2019 08:42 AM
Originally Posted by reb
My 4 1/4 inch letters have the mounting holes

Wow, yours are really CLEAN! Very Nice.👍
I looked into the pros/cons of various cleaning agents to clean both the TEXACO and TOUR WITH TEXACO letters I'm selling on Ebay; ultimately I decided to leave that to the buyer.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk