Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Gas stuff.com Goodyear Milkglass and Neon Sign - Fri Dec 13 2013 08:42 PM
Here's one you don't see everyday. Milkglass and neon,made by Flexlume Corp. All the letters and foot are milkglass.Single sided,but the back side is punched for the letters and foot also for neon,it was covered up at the factory. Measures 8'x4' approx. I don't think this sign was ever used. I never thought I would sell this sign but I found something I want more. asking 25K. Please PM questions.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Posted By: ROCCO2 Re: Goodyear Milkglass and Neon Sign - Fri Dec 13 2013 08:55 PM
hey guys, i saw this sign at johns place and it is sweet.
Posted By: minuteman Re: Goodyear Milkglass and Neon Sign - Fri Dec 13 2013 09:03 PM
are the foot and letters old milkglass or newly made? thx
Posted By: Gas stuff.com Re: Goodyear Milkglass and Neon Sign - Fri Dec 13 2013 09:32 PM
Old and original
Posted By: redindianguy Re: Goodyear Milkglass and Neon Sign - Sat Dec 14 2013 05:59 PM
any pics of it lit up ? Must be pretty nice great sign
Posted By: JUNK KING Re: Goodyear Milkglass and Neon Sign - Sat Dec 14 2013 06:42 PM
Some lit up pictures would be very helpful.
Posted By: Neewbie Re: Goodyear Milkglass and Neon Sign - Sat Dec 14 2013 06:43 PM
Don't do it...You will miss that one greatly John. Anyone who comes up with this piece will be very fortunate. Its amazing!
Posted By: Gas stuff.com Re: Goodyear Milkglass and Neon Sign - Sat Dec 14 2013 06:49 PM
It was never wired from the factory. It has all the internal wiring but never had a plug end on it.
Posted By: Craig Osbeck Re: Goodyear Milkglass and Neon Sign - Sat Dec 14 2013 07:20 PM
Very nice.
Posted By: porcelain-neon Re: Goodyear Milkglass and Neon Sign - Sat Dec 14 2013 07:30 PM
That is a neat sign. Milk glass signs are designed to be lit from the inside with light bulbs. This sign is also punched for neon that would outline the letters on a normal neon sign. I am not understanding what is going on here?
Posted By: bagged1961 Re: Goodyear Milkglass and Neon Sign - Sat Dec 14 2013 08:23 PM
Great Sign! Maybe a ford oval could replace it?
Posted By: Signs&Neons Re: Goodyear Milkglass and Neon Sign - Sat Dec 14 2013 11:44 PM
Nice sign! I am curious too. How would the neon have been mounted with the milk glass letters in place? Are their holes for tube support mounting?
Posted By: bagged1961 Re: Goodyear Milkglass and Neon Sign - Sun Dec 15 2013 12:09 AM
I had a similar sign and yes it had standoffs to hold the neon tubing.
Posted By: PlainBroke Re: Goodyear Milkglass and Neon Sign - Sun Dec 15 2013 01:09 AM
Killer sign John, a hard one to part with I'm sure.
Posted By: Gas stuff.com Re: Goodyear Milkglass and Neon Sign - Sun Dec 15 2013 11:10 AM
I don't think this sign was finished,it is wired inside for the neon and the bulbs,no transformers,no stands. I actually own the one that Bagged61 was referring to(no where near as nice as this one)and it does have stands on it. I agree it's a strange configuration but,I don't think its that unusual to see a milkglass sign with neon,remember there are Chevrolet super service signs that are milkglass and neon.
Posted By: redindianguy Re: Goodyear Milkglass and Neon Sign - Sun Dec 15 2013 01:27 PM
Whats the discount for unwired lol . Great early piece of history . Nice to see a survivor
Posted By: Gas stuff.com Re: Goodyear Milkglass and Neon Sign - Sun Dec 15 2013 01:45 PM
You could send it back to the factory as they are still in business!!
Posted By: Signs&Neons Re: Goodyear Milkglass and Neon Sign - Sun Dec 15 2013 03:39 PM
Thanks for the info John, Beautiful sign!
Posted By: JUNK KING Re: Goodyear Milkglass and Neon Sign - Sun Dec 15 2013 04:15 PM
Neon and milk glass mix was common in old flexlume signs.
Here is one I own.

Attached picture 809-1.jpg
Attached picture 810-1.jpg
Posted By: Signs&Neons Re: Goodyear Milkglass and Neon Sign - Sun Dec 15 2013 04:30 PM
I understand neon and milk glass was commonly used in that era. I have one of the Chevys..... What confounds me is how/where the neon went and was attached. Perhaps is went around the outside edge of the milk glass letters? However it was done, that is one nice sign!
Posted By: Craig Osbeck Re: Goodyear Milkglass and Neon Sign - Sun Dec 15 2013 04:41 PM
I have a drug neon sign that is the same way and I did not understand the set up either. Seemed like it was a double duty.
Posted By: Neewbie Re: Goodyear Milkglass and Neon Sign - Mon Dec 16 2013 03:31 PM
Without asserting I know anything about these...Because I don't; I think the neon may be for certain hours or maybe depending on where it was placed used less often than the sign. Milk glass is only going to be seen so far, while neon can be seen way off. I wonder if these were ever set up to blink, or anything.
Posted By: Gas stuff.com Re: Goodyear Milkglass and Neon Sign - Wed Dec 18 2013 02:12 PM
One more try before Christmas, I would like to also say Merry Christmas and Happy holidays to all Oldgasser's
Posted By: Livinthedream Re: Goodyear Milkglass and Neon Sign - Tue Dec 24 2013 05:09 AM
Hope you find it a good home.. I miss having it around my house!
Posted By: Gas stuff.com Re: Goodyear Milkglass and Neon Sign - Tue Dec 24 2013 10:21 AM
Looks like I am gonna keep it! It's an awesome sign.
Posted By: PlainBroke Re: Goodyear Milkglass and Neon Sign - Tue Dec 24 2013 11:48 AM
Good move John, would have been a hard one to part with.

Merry Christmas!
Posted By: Gas stuff.com Re: Goodyear Milkglass and Neon Sign - Tue Dec 24 2013 12:02 PM
OK so this is the reason I wanted to sell it. 1961 Chevrolet, 348-3 deuces, 4 speed. Yes I did get the car. Now I can't wait till spring to drive it! Merry Christmas to all. John

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Posted By: redindianguy Re: Goodyear Milkglass and Neon Sign - Tue Dec 24 2013 12:14 PM
amazing cool color beauty car
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Goodyear Milkglass and Neon Sign - Tue Dec 24 2013 12:53 PM
I figured there was something in the works! I had a 61 bubbletop about 66 or 67? Loved it! Didn't have that powertrain though! Congratulations!
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: Goodyear Milkglass and Neon Sign - Tue Dec 24 2013 01:06 PM
Nice Car, did you add on to the garage to fit it in.
Posted By: Gas stuff.com Re: Goodyear Milkglass and Neon Sign - Tue Dec 24 2013 01:15 PM
No I did have to put the 59 up in the new barn though. Merry Christmas Rick
Posted By: Tomstoybox Re: Goodyear Milkglass and Neon Sign - Wed Dec 25 2013 12:00 PM
Nice car John. I was gonna ask the same thing about getting it in your shop! Did you get my last email?
Chad
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk