Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: RPMRog SERIOUSLY - One-of-a-Kind! Atlantic Oil Can! - Wed Apr 17 2013 04:53 PM
When it comes to collectibles, we've all heard the phrase: "Condition is everything" right?

When it comes to having the ONLY one of something known to exist? Not so much...

That said, I have spent an exhausting number of hours researching every online resource available...search engines (Google, BING, etc.) auction sites (eBay, Etsy, icollect, etc.) and "Petroliana" collector-related sites...and there just doesn't seem to be another one of these ANYWHERE!!!

Atlantic Refinery 5 Gallon Oil Can (Medium) Tall, square can.

I spoke to an older gentleman in Pennsylvania (where the Atlantic Refineries were located before merging with Richfield to become ARCO) whose father owned several stations there. He has hats, shirts, signs, oil cans, gas pumps and, according to him, EVERYTHING the Atlantic Oil Refinery ever produced...but NOT one of these!!!

How old is it? Nobody is able to tell me exactly but, the logo has the crossed red arrows which, according to my research, puts it at 1936 or earlier.

So...what is it worth to a true collector of oil cans, gas station memorabilia or Petroliana? You tell me! I put up the question in the value section here and the only response was: "Its not junk."

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Description: Atlantic Oil can front view
Attached picture Atlantic 1.jpg

Description: Atlantic Oil can side view.
Attached picture Atlantic 2.jpg
Posted By: Gas globe guy Re: SERIOUSLY - One-of-a-Kind! Atlantic Oil Can! - Wed Apr 17 2013 04:58 PM
How much are you looking to get out of it?
Posted By: BryceG Re: SERIOUSLY - One-of-a-Kind! Atlantic Oil Can! - Wed Apr 17 2013 05:00 PM
This 1-gallon in similar condition sold for $40 at a petrol auction... thats what I found so far.

and here is the box on ebay they would have came in... Listing on Ebay

Posted By: Ron Cabanayan Re: SERIOUSLY - One-of-a-Kind! Atlantic Oil Can! - Wed Apr 17 2013 05:02 PM
You have a fried egg logo that was around the late 20's - early 30's. I think. So, you're looking for offers on this?
Posted By: huskybob Re: SERIOUSLY - One-of-a-Kind! Atlantic Oil Can! - Wed Apr 17 2013 05:03 PM
Uh-oh....... you just doubled the population baileybee. wink
Posted By: oldpumper Re: SERIOUSLY - One-of-a-Kind! Atlantic Oil Can! - Wed Apr 17 2013 07:07 PM
This is the one that I have had for about 30 years,a little different...

Posted By: tetraethyl Re: SERIOUSLY - One-of-a-Kind! Atlantic Oil Can! - Wed Apr 17 2013 08:49 PM
Pretty nice can. It is late 20's or early 30's. condition IMO 6-6.5. My guess is $75 - $90.
Posted By: RPMRog Re: SERIOUSLY - One-of-a-Kind! Atlantic Oil Can! - Wed Apr 17 2013 08:57 PM
In all honesty, I really have no idea! I have been searching for weeks for someone that could give me an idea as to its value and I haven't found anyone that has an idea or at least willing to place a value.

Sorta like being on a mystery hunt with Scooby & gang! wink
Posted By: RPMRog Re: SERIOUSLY - One-of-a-Kind! Atlantic Oil Can! - Wed Apr 17 2013 08:58 PM
Now that box is SWEET!! If someone had two 5 gallon cans and that box, I'm thinking they could rule the world! LOL!
Posted By: RPMRog Re: SERIOUSLY - One-of-a-Kind! Atlantic Oil Can! - Wed Apr 17 2013 08:59 PM
Yeah...from what I could find, that particular logo was used until 1936.
Posted By: RPMRog Re: SERIOUSLY - One-of-a-Kind! Atlantic Oil Can! - Wed Apr 17 2013 09:04 PM
Uh...in my best innocently ignorant tone...is that good?
Posted By: RPMRog Re: SERIOUSLY - One-of-a-Kind! Atlantic Oil Can! - Wed Apr 17 2013 09:06 PM
Cool! I had seen only one other of those one gallon Polarine cans during my search. It looks just like the one I have!
Posted By: Steven C. Re: SERIOUSLY - One-of-a-Kind! Atlantic Oil Can! - Wed Apr 17 2013 09:18 PM
The "More Oil Cans for the Collector" book shows Oldpumpers exactly and calls it 1925. It does not show a can exactly like yours with "Medium" on it.
It also shows one with "Capitol" on it and calls it 1929.

And then it shows a can like the first link I had posted with the different color scheme and calls it 1930.

So yours is at least 1929 or older it would seem.
Posted By: oldpumper Re: SERIOUSLY - One-of-a-Kind! Atlantic Oil Can! - Wed Apr 17 2013 09:19 PM
as far as a value,if you love it that much it's "Priceless", keep up the hunt!!
Posted By: advertologist Re: SERIOUSLY - One-of-a-Kind! Atlantic Oil Can! - Wed Apr 17 2013 09:58 PM
couple more examples in style of the 1 only.. cool

Attached picture IMG_0653[1].JPG
Attached picture IMG_0654[1].JPG
Posted By: RPMRog Re: SERIOUSLY - One-of-a-Kind! Atlantic Oil Can! - Wed Apr 17 2013 10:09 PM
Nice! Your transmission cans look beautiful compared to my motor oil one! Sweet!
Posted By: Ron Cabanayan Re: SERIOUSLY - One-of-a-Kind! Atlantic Oil Can! - Thu Apr 18 2013 02:00 PM
So, Roger, are you wanting to sell your can? Looking for offers or do you have a price in mind? Now that you're armed with a little bit more knowledge.
Posted By: lordparaffin Re: SERIOUSLY - One-of-a-Kind! Atlantic Oil Can! - Fri Apr 19 2013 01:53 AM
Oldpumper your "fried egg" logo is different than all the others I've ever seen. Makes me wonder if that is a very early example of the fried egg before Atlantic settled on a final version that is commonly seen on all the other cans shown. All the above are nice early examples but my money for rarity is on that one. :-)
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk