Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Lastgas15 R.I.P. Rex - Mon Mar 09 2015 05:20 AM
I saw on facebook that Rex Benson has passed away.
R.I. P. Rex.

Attached picture MVC-641F.JPG
Posted By: blacktee Re: R.I.P. Rex - Mon Mar 09 2015 06:35 AM
Wow !

One of the old timers here on oldgas. RIP Rex
Posted By: 2 Gallon Luke Re: R.I.P. Rex - Mon Mar 09 2015 09:39 AM
Another of the old guard gone...RIP Rex.
Posted By: Jarvis Re: R.I.P. Rex - Mon Mar 09 2015 10:26 AM
Hate to hear that. Rex was a great guy before getting out of hobby. He will be missed.
Posted By: Oldgas Re: R.I.P. Rex - Mon Mar 09 2015 11:34 AM
Rest in Peace, Rex! Our thoughts and prayers are with his wife Nita and the rest of his family and many friends.

Rex was a regular at swap meets and auctions, building a fantastic petroliana collection. He was a fun guy to talk with and eat pie with.

Rex was a healthcare warrior. He was willing to endure new and radical procedures. His courage and medical experiences probably helped to save the lives of others as the doctors learned from Rex's treatment.
Posted By: nochevys Re: R.I.P. Rex - Mon Mar 09 2015 11:38 AM
So sad to hear R.I.P. Rex
Posted By: Ryan Underthun Re: R.I.P. Rex - Mon Mar 09 2015 11:47 AM
This stinks. RIP Rex....
Posted By: st.rod Re: R.I.P. Rex - Mon Mar 09 2015 12:26 PM
Rex was one of the good ones! R.I.P.
Rex liked pie wink

Larry
Posted By: gatorgaspumps Re: R.I.P. Rex - Mon Mar 09 2015 12:41 PM
Rex was true collector, he will be missed. R.I.P. Richard
Posted By: bustermonty Re: R.I.P. Rex - Mon Mar 09 2015 12:46 PM
Great guy. Was first person to ever buy from me at my first gas show. I'll never forget that moment he said he'd take it and whipped out a stack of money to pay. Will truly be missed. R.I.P. Rex
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: R.I.P. Rex - Mon Mar 09 2015 12:47 PM
Very sad to hear this.My sincere condolences to his family /friends.
Posted By: DCpate Re: R.I.P. Rex - Mon Mar 09 2015 01:14 PM
Always enjoyed Rex's posts, from one fellow pie lover to another

Been along time since he's been on...

RIP
Posted By: JimT Re: R.I.P. Rex - Mon Mar 09 2015 01:36 PM
Sorry to hear this. RIP
Posted By: djhubba Re: R.I.P. Rex - Mon Mar 09 2015 05:04 PM
This breaks my Heart. Rex was awesome and a wonderful Human. When I was a moderator here many years ago.. Jim flew me out to Peotone to stay with Bob for the show. Thats where i met Rex in person. We had been friends because of this website and it was great to meet him in person...we collected the same thing and had the same views on animal cruelty and the love of pie and dogs. Rest in peace my friend. My thoughts and prayers are with Nita and the Family and friends. I love you Rex and will see you when I cross over.

That trip i met a lot of people in person that I will always cherish. In the grand scheme of things..life is short..make the best of everyday and tell people you love them.
Posted By: Gas stuff.com Re: R.I.P. Rex - Mon Mar 09 2015 05:48 PM
He was a great man,fun to be around. Sad day for sure.
Posted By: philmccauley RIP Rex - Mon Mar 09 2015 06:03 PM
Just read that Rex Benson passed away over the weekend. Rex and his wife were always a fixture at the shows for a long time and I always enjoyed the conversations. He was passionate about his family, dogs and collecting. Keep them in your thoughts and prayers.
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: RIP Rex - Mon Mar 09 2015 06:15 PM
R.I.P. Rex!

May you go to a special place; Where the pies are always fresh and plentiful. Where everyone is a Collector and they have the time to stop, smell the roses and tell a story...
Posted By: mcguffeyd1 Re: RIP Rex - Mon Mar 09 2015 06:59 PM
Didn't know Rex but my prayers go to the family.
Looks like he is going to be missed greatly

Dan
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: RIP Rex - Mon Mar 09 2015 08:12 PM
This is a sad time for sure but that picture I posted of Rex with the pie brings back fond memories. That picture was taken at one of our night before the swap meet parties. Karen always prepared a lot of great food, including several pies. At that particular party Rex picked up the coconut creme pie, knowing it was my favorite, and started eating it. Between bites he'd say "Bob, I can't believe you don't like this. It's delicious"....and then laugh. Karen quickly picked up the camera and shot that picture. Notice Rex wasn't laughing anymore. Nita was ordering Rex to put the pie down.

Rex had a strong faith in God,and loved his family. He was very proud of his grand kids and they often went to the shows with Rex and Nita. Rex was also extremely generous and charitable. He was very humble and down to earth, and he had a great sense of humor.

Posted By: gasoildude Re: R.I.P. Rex - Mon Mar 09 2015 08:49 PM
RIP Rex you will be missed!! We where just talking about Rex this weekend & about how much he love pie!! He was a true class act with hospitality & kindness!!! Thoughts & prayers to the family!!!
Posted By: Mattgas Re: R.I.P. Rex - Mon Mar 09 2015 10:21 PM
Rex was a unique individual, a larger than life person, the first person in the United States to have a triple by-pass on a transplanted heart, he was tough. He did everything hard and fast from collecting to gamble he loved it all.

Even tho Rex and I had our differences at time I still had a great respect for him.

RIP Rex
Posted By: jwood7 Re: R.I.P. Rex - Mon Mar 09 2015 10:21 PM
I am very sorry to hear that. I really enjoyed talking to Rex the couple of times we did. Such a great guy, I will really miss him.
Posted By: Gasman84470 Re: R.I.P. Rex - Mon Mar 09 2015 10:44 PM
"Rex was a unique individual, a larger than life person, the first person in the United States to have a triple by-pass on a transplanted heart, he was tough. He did everything hard and fast from collecting to gamble he loved it all."
Holy Cow living life to the MAXX. Got to be one unique pie loving dude that I would have loved to have met at a show.
Posted By: DFHigdon Re: R.I.P. Rex - Mon Mar 09 2015 11:56 PM
Very nice fella. Sad to hear this news.
Posted By: Neil Gerrard Re: R.I.P. Rex - Tue Mar 10 2015 01:29 AM
sad to hear, RIP
Posted By: bsplichal95 Re: R.I.P. Rex - Tue Mar 10 2015 02:36 AM
Rest in Peace Rex...
Posted By: KL Bird Re: R.I.P. Rex - Tue Mar 10 2015 03:07 AM
My condolences, I used to enjoy reading Rex's posts and looking at pictures of his amazing collection way back when.
Ken.
Posted By: Tom Stover Re: R.I.P. Rex - Tue Mar 10 2015 03:29 AM
I hope they have a BIG oven for pie's in heaven........RIP Rex
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: R.I.P. Rex - Tue Mar 10 2015 06:05 AM
Rest in Peace Rex...
Posted By: texacokie Re: R.I.P. Rex - Tue Mar 10 2015 09:02 AM
I never got the pleasure of meeting him, but it sounds like he was a great guy. May God bless him and his family.
Posted By: fast66 Re: R.I.P. Rex - Tue Mar 10 2015 02:18 PM
Never met Rex, but had a couple of email conversations with him when he asked to have the text of some signs translated. It was always a pleasure to read his posts here on Oldgas and his collection was truly amazing!

RIP Rex!

Claes
Posted By: JEFFSAUTOMOBILIA Re: R.I.P. Rex - Tue Mar 10 2015 02:48 PM
I had the pleasure of meeting Rex at his auction,His knowledge of Mobil items was incredible. We truly lost one of the greats in this hobby. God bless the Benson family.
Posted By: fins n vtwins Re: R.I.P. Rex - Tue Mar 10 2015 05:13 PM
:-( Just heard about this in an email from Bob(lastgas) Bummer. Rex is the third swap meet friend that's passed in less than a week. I first met Rex on the 127 yard sale. He sold me a bunch of 2 gallon cans. Saw him at Chip's about every year I went after that, and I was always glad to see him, just because he was the kind of guy he was.
Posted By: Done4 Re: R.I.P. Rex - Tue Mar 10 2015 07:30 PM
Good bye old friend, Kathy and I will always remember you and keep you in our thoughts. You are a great guy.
Posted By: Scott Shipers Re: R.I.P. Rex - Tue Mar 10 2015 09:56 PM
RIP Rex.

Every time I eat pie I always think of Rex.
Posted By: blacktee Re: R.I.P. Rex - Tue Mar 10 2015 11:58 PM

Did Rex still live in northern Kentucky Owensboro ? Going to be going through there in a few weeks.

Thanks
Posted By: Pogo's Garage Re: R.I.P. Rex - Wed Mar 11 2015 12:12 AM
So sorry to hear about Rex, he was one of the good guys, rest in peace my friend.
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: R.I.P. Rex - Wed Mar 11 2015 01:06 AM
Originally Posted By: blacktee

Did Rex still live in northern Kentucky Owensboro ? Going to be going through there in a few weeks.

Thanks

Owenton,KY
Posted By: Oldgas Re: R.I.P. Rex - Wed Mar 11 2015 01:23 AM
Online obituary for Rex Benson

http://www.mcdonaldandnew.com/fh/obituaries/obituary.cfm?o_id=2998843&fh_id=11631
Posted By: Scott Shipers Re: R.I.P. Rex - Wed Mar 11 2015 11:22 AM
Thanks for posting his obituary Jim.
Posted By: blacktee Re: R.I.P. Rex - Wed Mar 11 2015 02:55 PM
Originally Posted By: Lastgas15
Originally Posted By: blacktee

Thanks

Owenton,KY

Thanks Bob
Posted By: texacojoe Re: R.I.P. Rex - Thu Mar 12 2015 12:29 PM
Very sad news, thoughts and prayers to Nita and family. Still have the Shamrock globe I won on Oldgas many years ago that Rex & Nita donated. The hobby was lucky to have such a passionate collector.
Posted By: Tbirdgas Re: R.I.P. Rex - Thu Mar 12 2015 02:41 PM
Never had the pleasure of meeting him,but a sad day for the hobby.
RIP
Posted By: advertologist Re: R.I.P. Rex - Thu Mar 12 2015 03:04 PM
Originally Posted By: Tbirdgas
Never had the pleasure of meeting him,but a sad day for the hobby.
RIP

.... cool
Posted By: 47reo-travis Re: R.I.P. Rex - Thu Mar 12 2015 03:39 PM
Rest in peace Rex , my prayers go out to his family as well.
Posted By: Goober's Station Re: R.I.P. Rex - Mon Mar 23 2015 11:06 PM
Mann that really stinks. Rex was a really nice guy who had a good eye for Mobiloil/Socony items. I remember in the earlier days probably around 2004 or 2005 at Columbus, he and Walt Feiger were doing a deal on a Havoline one-piece globe with the running indian pictured. It was Walt's globe and it must have taken an hour for them to come to terms on a price, Rex finally ended up with it at $2600. Good memories, he'll be missed for sure.

Goober
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk