Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: hri_2008 Shea's Route 66 Museum Springfield Illinois CLOSED - Sat Sep 26 2015 04:41 AM
The family has decided to permanently close the museum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swPIsXfb1Hk

The following was posted earlier today on facebook:

Although over the past two to three years, the collection as a whole has been up for sale so there was a chance for someone to buy...no one came forward. As a small family and my dad as the only child, it is not feasible for our family to maintain this. It is very easy for others to say that it should be continued, but they fail to realize this was a hobby for my grandfather and his personal collection of many many years. My family has grown up there. We had visitors turn away at points because they didn't want to give a $3 admission. My grandfather used his own funds to keep this running. He didn't even make enough in a year to keep the utilities on. He paid majority from his own pocket. As a family with families of our own and jobs with benefits, we cannot maintain or run it. I understand people feel this should be shared with everyone but this is also my fathers inheritance so I find it very offensive when people feel he should donate it. It is a strange inheritance. When others inherit money from their family, no one asks them to donate it. Everyone has their own opinion but until you are in his shoes, don't throw stones. I haven't seen anyone step forward to pay the taxes or insurance on it so think of the extra expense it has caused. It is a very precious piece of our family history, but the time has come. My dad has worked his whole life and deserves to do something that he chooses to do. The past 5 years have been extremely stressful for him and our family as he took care of my grandparents and visited them daily when they had to go to a nursing home, not to mention their passing. The station was all that was left after all the expenses. He deserves every bit of it as he spent all his extra time helping gpa run it since he was a small child. I wish it could have stayed open as well but the chance was there and no one took it and those that tried wanted it for nothing. I am grateful for those who had the opportunity to visit while it was open and had such a great appreciation for it. It meant the world to my grandpa, dad and the rest of us. I am not targeting just these comments but I have continously seen comments over the past few years saying the same things. I try to ignore these things but at some point it gets a little upsetting. I am not trying to upset anyone with my comments but feel we should get our say as well. If you have negative comments, please keep it to yourself and off our page. Thx so much for those who have been supportive! I hope you all cherish the memories of your visits like we cherish our memories and family history!
Sad stuff !!!

Sid
Believe he started selling off some of the signs over the past several weeks. Heard that they will be auctioning off the rest of what's left soon.
Thanks for posting this, it is only an hour or so drive from me so I may check out the auction given the opportunity
This seems to be happening more and more with older collections as we are now seeing. Tough to maintain with all the fees, taxes, utilities, and other legal challenges.
Sad
Posted By: Nicole Re: Shea's Route 66 Museum Springfield Illinois CLOSED - Sat Sep 26 2015 10:10 PM
The sad thing is that people who don't know this family are giving them a hard time on top of the grief they are dealing with.

Having dealt with my own Dad's estate, the one thing I tell my friends is to give their children permission to sell, donate or throw stuff away. I have a friend in her 70's, who lives by herself in her huge old rundown family home, surrounded by all the family stuff she feels too guilty to get rid of, but she cannot maintain. Because of this, her house is filled with all this stuff covered with dust and mold. Suggest anything to lighten her load (her health is not good) and she shuts down.

I'm not on facebook but if I was I would send the following:

Dear son and grandchild. Please don't feel bad about letting your father and grandfather's stuff go. I can see it gave Bill Shea a lot of joy, both in accumulating and showing his wonderful collection. Know that when it is sold or auctioned, it eventually will end up in the homes of those who love this stuff too. Thank you for that gift.
Great closing words there Nicole.
Posted By: Maxgas Re: Shea's Route 66 Museum Springfield Illinois CLOSED - Sun Sep 27 2015 10:08 AM
Thanks for sharing the information and the video. This is a loss to our community for sure.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk