Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: bwfergus Fall Dixie Gas - Sat Aug 08 2015 02:17 AM
Who alls going?

Any tips for a first timer? Never have been able to go, but taking vacation time off this year. Me and the fiancé are planning to be there.

Thanks!
Brandon
Posted By: mavericks8371 Re: Fall Dixie Gas - Sat Aug 08 2015 04:52 AM
Just take a pocket full of money and you'll be ok lol first time I went was this year it was good and they had the hot rod run the same weekend made it even better it was pretty nice
Posted By: gasmansgp Re: Fall Dixie Gas - Sat Aug 08 2015 10:58 AM
I've been doing the Spring and Fall show for over fifteen years....probably longer? Chip and I tried to remember exactly when, but our memories are about as bad as OLD Age allows....LOL! Fall Dixie is always a Hoot and you will be glad you went. Trailers are opened before dawn on Thursday morning. Chip holds a true....no early selling show. Paul www.severngaspumps.com
Posted By: Loyd Pierce Re: Fall Dixie Gas - Sat Aug 08 2015 11:11 AM
Get your hotel room in advance, with the hot rods in town you might have trouble finding a place if you wait till the weekend of the event. Easy walking shoes as its on a hill side,after you make a couple laps one leg may feel shorter than the other. Turning around and doing it backwards from the last trip seems to fix this. Need to be there early Thursday and Friday. Great show with lots to see, and Chip does a great job of hosting the event.
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: Fall Dixie Gas - Sat Aug 08 2015 11:48 AM
Loyd is correct. Book your hotel early. The hotels in Newport will be easier on your wallet. The hotels in Pigeon Forge will have a few more amenities. There's a lot of stuff to do in Pigeon Forge after the show winds down in the evening.
Traffic can be really bad in Pigeon Forge and Sevieville.

The Sagebrush Saloon in Newport has excellent ribs!

A visit to Floyd Garrett's Muscle Car Museum in Sevierville is a must if you're a car guy.

As mentioned in an earlier post.....a pocketful of money will come in handy.
Posted By: tbuckles Re: Fall Dixie Gas - Sun Aug 09 2015 05:39 PM
I will be there with a fresh load of pumps and pump parts. I wouldn't miss this show, it's like no other. If you like signs, they really show up here, not too many pumps show up....good for me!
If you want to stay out of the traffic, the Best Western in Newport offers a special Dixie Gas rate in the $50/$60 range, nice place to stay. You have to tell them first you are with Dixie Gas. Best of all there is a Cracker Barrel right next door.

If I could only go to one show a year this is the best all around. You just can't beat sitting in your lawn chair early in the morning drinking coffee and watching the fog rise over the mountain....you won't be doing that the first day, too busy buying and selling.
Tom.
Posted By: Iceman Re: Fall Dixie Gas - Tue Aug 11 2015 02:36 AM
Brandon,
I have been to this show several times. It is truly a great show! Last Spring, there were more vendors than I have ever seen before. When these guys say come early, they mean it. There are folks out there before daybreak with flashlights trying to get the first chance at that rare piece or a great deal.

Clayton
Go Cats!
Posted By: BryceG Re: Fall Dixie Gas - Tue Aug 11 2015 01:20 PM
Originally Posted By Lastgas15
Traffic can be really bad in Pigeon Forge and Sevieville.

^^^this is an understatement. if you plan to go to Pigeon Forge during the evening around dinner time or sunset... you better plan for 3 hours or more, because 1-2 hours will be spent in traffic. it literally moves slower than a walking pace.

as for where to stay... i would suggest renting a cabin up the mountain. thats what I did in the spring and it was awesome. just make sure to check the details closely... the cabin I rented was way up the mountain and required 4-wheel drive to get to it... and there certainly was no chance of getting a trailer up to it so you'd have to unhitch at Chips land first.

you'll love it, best setting for a swap meet i have ever seen.

Posted By: bwfergus Re: Fall Dixie Gas - Tue Aug 11 2015 03:55 PM
I just graduated college in May, got engaged in July, so I'm still somewhat of a tight wad! LOL I have a room at the Newport Best Western from the 9-13 of September. Don't really care if I don't buy a thing, just as long as it's a good time!
Posted By: BryceG Re: Fall Dixie Gas - Tue Aug 11 2015 04:36 PM
well just for reference in case anyone else is reading and considering the same...

the cabin we stayed in was a private cabin that could sleep 4, we got it for 4-nights. the total after all fees/taxes was $535... seemed pretty decent to me.
Posted By: TheGriffin Re: Fall Dixie Gas - Tue Aug 11 2015 05:25 PM
I should be there toting some pumps and globes. It means I will miss opening day of dove season but should be worth it! I may also be bringing my Cougar sign if someone is interested in swapping for a Rebel sign;)

Also have some extra Tokheim 39 Tall doors and looking to trade for other doors that I need.
Posted By: John Huff Re: Fall Dixie Gas - Mon Aug 31 2015 05:50 PM
I'll be there!! Anybody have a 12 1/2 x 24 1/2 Cylinder for a square Butler they are bringing? Thanks, John.
Posted By: 60wayne Re: Fall Dixie Gas - Wed Sep 02 2015 08:31 PM
Plan to bring a few big items.

Attached picture IMG_0960.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0961.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0958.JPG
Attached picture IMG_1502.JPG
Posted By: Craig Osbeck Re: Fall Dixie Gas - Thu Sep 03 2015 05:05 PM
Sharknato for sure.
Posted By: Gasman84470 Re: Fall Dixie Gas - Thu Sep 03 2015 09:47 PM
Hmm the very definition of "eclectic". From columns to sharks!
Posted By: Gasman84470 Re: Fall Dixie Gas - Thu Sep 03 2015 09:49 PM
Originally Posted By bwfergus
I just graduated college in May, got engaged in July, so I'm still somewhat of a tight wad! LOL I have a room at the Newport Best Western from the 9-13 of September. Don't really care if I don't buy a thing, just as long as it's a good time!

Well a double big congratulations Brandon on two huge milestones achieved.
Posted By: gasmansgp Re: Fall Dixie Gas - Fri Sep 04 2015 09:43 PM
Some one on this site contacted me about a Tokheim39 short lift off door. I sent him to Tom Buckles. Tom and I spoke today. He has none. I will have a very clean one on my trailer at Dixie. It will not be cheap though, since they are extremely difficult to fine. Paul www.severngaspumps.com
Posted By: ABCTrip Re: Fall Dixie Gas - Sat Sep 05 2015 07:04 PM
PM sent on the 39 door.
Posted By: Hardy's Garage Re: Fall Dixie Gas - Sun Sep 06 2015 10:20 AM
Is anyone bringing any clock face or other unusual pumps for sale?
Posted By: gasmansgp Re: Fall Dixie Gas - Sun Sep 06 2015 03:07 PM
I will have an unrestored Wayne 861 at Hershey C4T 3 but not at Dixie Gas. Paul www.severngaspumps.com
Posted By: 60wayne Re: Fall Dixie Gas - Tue Sep 08 2015 11:24 AM
Loaded on the trailer a Bowser oil dispenser from 1908 along with the French Fry guy. Headed to Dixie tomorrow.

Attached picture IMG_1346.JPG
Attached picture IMG_1348.JPG
Attached picture IMG_1350.JPG
Attached picture IMG_1352.JPG
Posted By: 60wayne Re: Fall Dixie Gas - Tue Sep 08 2015 11:25 AM
Also a nice clean towel dispenser.

Attached picture IMG_1356.JPG
Posted By: gaspump39 Re: Fall Dixie Gas - Tue Sep 08 2015 11:08 PM
I will be there Wednesday afertoon Bringing several signs,, 1 lift off door for tok 39,
several globes and my coffee maker, Brandon, I think I met you and your better in Evansville some time ago. Congrats. I will be in the cabin on the hill.
Posted By: reb Re: Fall Dixie Gas - Thu Sep 10 2015 03:20 PM
Was wet at Dixie Gas this morning, but here are pictures.

http://s197.photobucket.com/user/reb_album_photos/slideshow/Dixie%20Gas%20Fall%202015
Posted By: richlube Re: Fall Dixie Gas - Thu Sep 10 2015 03:43 PM
reb,thanks for the pictures.from the looks of it you didn't miss any.
Posted By: advertologist Re: Fall Dixie Gas - Thu Sep 10 2015 04:18 PM
[quote=reb] but here are pictures.

thanks for taking & posting of pictures ... cool
Posted By: Ed Steagall Re: Fall Dixie Gas - Thu Sep 10 2015 04:44 PM
wink Thanks for the pictures. You were out there really early! I can just feel the wet grass. Ed.
Posted By: s10truck Re: Fall Dixie Gas - Thu Sep 10 2015 05:04 PM
Thanks for the photos.

*Anyway know who had the Cadillac Service round sign leaning against the white trailer in photo #166?

*How about the Speed sign in photo #218?

Thanks.
Posted By: Old Racer Re: Fall Dixie Gas - Fri Sep 11 2015 10:31 AM
WOW! GREAT job on the pictures! Looks like a really nice show.
Thank you.
Always wanted to go to that show. Looks like next year I will be able to.
Thank you very much.
Posted By: THERMOMAN Re: Fall Dixie Gas - Fri Sep 11 2015 07:53 PM
Great pictures....thanks for sharing
Posted By: poleman Re: Fall Dixie Gas - Sat Sep 12 2015 12:08 AM
ANYONE KNOW WHO HAD THE BLUE PORCELAIN STREE SIGN MIXSELL ST. IN THE HOLDER? PLEASE PM ME IF YOU KNOW GREAT PICS THANKS
Posted By: herns Re: Fall Dixie Gas - Sat Sep 12 2015 10:23 PM
May have been my street sign. Will look when home from trip.
Posted By: poleman Re: Fall Dixie Gas - Sat Sep 12 2015 10:29 PM
OK THANKS
Posted By: reb Re: Fall Dixie Gas - Sat Sep 12 2015 11:04 PM
The phone number for the person who had the sign is 865-253-3598
Posted By: poleman Re: Fall Dixie Gas - Sat Sep 12 2015 11:27 PM
ok THANKS VERY MUCH
Posted By: 68air Re: Fall Dixie Gas - Sat Sep 19 2015 03:53 AM
That is an insane amount of pictures! I was there and enjoyed every soggy step. Thanks for posting.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk