Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: 56Chevy Sun Ray DX - Mon Apr 22 2013 07:34 AM
What is the value of this sign 9 X 9? I have read values $1500 to as high as $2800 which seems way to much.

Attached picture 19.jpg
Posted By: advertologist Re: Sun Ray DX - Mon Apr 22 2013 07:41 AM
would you post a picture of back of sign?.. cool
Posted By: moore798 Re: Sun Ray DX - Mon Apr 22 2013 12:32 PM
The overall measurments seem to be correct.
I am like Randy,let's look at the back.
Matthews recently got 2800.00 at auction
Repops are out there,but usually somewhat larger
Posted By: 56Chevy Re: Sun Ray DX - Tue Apr 23 2013 09:14 AM
Here is the back

Attached picture 19-3[1].jpg
Posted By: moore798 Re: Sun Ray DX - Tue Apr 23 2013 12:19 PM
I have been offered 12 hundred for mine which is in same condition as yours.Mine was found in the wild with bracket to mount to structure which was being decommissioned.All 4 brass grommets are intact.One of my favorites that has a special place on my wall.

Attached picture dx 001_2.JPG
Posted By: Dustin Re: Sun Ray DX - Tue Apr 23 2013 09:32 PM
look at the bottom of the one in question, look at the word petroleum and is that right?
Posted By: moore798 Re: Sun Ray DX - Tue Apr 23 2013 09:58 PM
Sharp eye Dustin,the words PETROLEUM PRODUCTS rest upon the white border compared to the 2nd example,which rest within the green background.Subtle difference,but close examination.Any other thoughts out there?
Posted By: moore798 Re: Sun Ray DX - Tue Apr 23 2013 10:04 PM
Dan Matthews book THE FINE ART OF COLLECTING show this sign on page 30 with the words PETROLEUM PRODUCTS lay within the green border and not upon the white border.
Posted By: Dustin Re: Sun Ray DX - Tue Apr 23 2013 10:06 PM
another thing is on the back there looked like there was a sticker that was taken off. Ive notice alot of repop porcelain signs had stickers removed off of the back so they could try selling it for the real mccoy, they also take and put dents and brake some of the porcelain off, then let it rust for a while

But im not expert by no means
Posted By: JGD Re: Sun Ray DX - Tue Apr 23 2013 10:21 PM
The white shadow on the "Y" and the "R" don't look the same on both signs, also the colors don't look the same especially the red in the diamond. Last, if the sign is supposed to have grommets then it's odd that all 4 are gone and there is only a chip around one of the holes (usually when the grommets are gone there is much more chipping). I'm just noting the differences between the two signs posted.
Posted By: Dustin Re: Sun Ray DX - Tue Apr 23 2013 10:26 PM
whats the size of the one that we are comparing it to. The one in question is 9" by 9" so so just a little guy
Posted By: moore798 Re: Sun Ray DX - Tue Apr 23 2013 10:38 PM
My sign measures 9in by 9in outside
Hole center to hole center measures 8.5 in.
Posted By: Dustin Re: Sun Ray DX - Tue Apr 23 2013 10:41 PM
well then we can pretty much say the one in question is a repop
I would like to know how much 56chevy payed for. I hope not to much. I hate getting taken advantage of when comes to signs
Posted By: moore798 Re: Sun Ray DX - Tue Apr 23 2013 10:47 PM
Kind of looks that way.
This is the value of this site and the people who are willing to share the knowledge they have gained,sometimes the hard way.These repops are really getting good and takes a close eye and example in hand to determine the originality.
Posted By: 56Chevy Re: Sun Ray DX - Wed Apr 24 2013 12:07 PM
This sign in question is up for auction at Matthews on June 22. Was thinking of bidding on it but I guess i won't since you guys say it is a repop
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk