Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: BattleBornTex Value of Texaco No Smoking Sign? - Fri Apr 13 2012 06:59 PM
I don't know much about it. Only that it came from my grandfather-in-law's Texaco station. He had the station(s) in the West from about the 50s to the 80s (give or take a little.) It's in pretty good condition. All original. The grommets are a bit rusty and missing some of the bits on the backs. The paint is scratched and chipped in a few areas, but very minor.

Any ideas on age and value?

Thanks.

Posted By: Signal Gas & Oil Re: Value of Texaco No Smoking Sign? - Fri Apr 13 2012 07:06 PM
IMO you have a reproduction there. Worth maybe $15.00.
Posted By: advertologist Re: Value of Texaco No Smoking Sign? - Fri Apr 13 2012 07:16 PM
the above statement is correct-
the black T dates to the early 40's
the mounting holes are not correct-
Pictured below is the Real McCoy-
Texaco was pretty good at dating there signs-
notice the white T in model pictured.. cool

Attached picture IMG_0291[1].JPG
Posted By: BattleBornTex Re: Value of Texaco No Smoking Sign? - Fri Apr 13 2012 07:37 PM
Huh. Very interesting. And totally possible knowing my father-in-law.

Thank you so much!
Posted By: BattleBornTex Re: Value of Texaco No Smoking Sign? - Fri Apr 13 2012 07:39 PM
I am also assuming, there was no such sign from the 40s when the black T was used?
Posted By: Tankar Re: Value of Texaco No Smoking Sign? - Fri Apr 13 2012 08:40 PM
I have an original black t dated 1944 on the back
Posted By: advertologist Re: Value of Texaco No Smoking Sign? - Fri Apr 13 2012 09:00 PM
Tankar,
would you post picture of yours- front & back
here is one I have with '44 & verbrite sign co. on back
I've always suspected this sign as maybe not being orig.
Randy

Attached picture IMG_0293[2].JPG
Posted By: hawkike Re: Value of Texaco No Smoking Sign? - Fri Apr 13 2012 09:11 PM
I thought the originals had 6 grommets,Yes? No?
Posted By: advertologist Re: Value of Texaco No Smoking Sign? - Fri Apr 13 2012 09:40 PM
no.. the white T 4 grommet was retreived out of the old Texaco refinery dated 10/51- absolutely orig.
blk T one- questionable-
The black larger no smoking was produced with 6 & 8 grommets.. cool
Posted By: Tankar Re: Value of Texaco No Smoking Sign? - Fri Apr 13 2012 11:19 PM
I can take a picture but I cant downsize my pics. enough to load on here. Mine also says the date and veribrite
Posted By: advertologist Re: Value of Texaco No Smoking Sign? - Fri Apr 13 2012 11:27 PM
is yours exactly as the one pictured,
mounting holes, mounting hole size etc.? cool
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: Value of Texaco No Smoking Sign? - Fri Apr 13 2012 11:30 PM
Tankar, PM sent...

If you send the photo to me, I will attempt to resize it and post it here...

Bob
Posted By: Tankar Re: Value of Texaco No Smoking Sign? - Sat Apr 14 2012 12:05 AM
Mine has the 1 hole on each end and middle top and bottom.
Posted By: KentuckyT Re: Value of Texaco No Smoking Sign? - Sat Apr 14 2012 12:12 AM
Randy,

44' seems a bit late for the Black T. I have one dated 39' (in the front and will take pictures of it and post them in a few).

Jamie
Posted By: advertologist Re: Value of Texaco No Smoking Sign? - Sat Apr 14 2012 12:13 AM
what your saying is yours is exactly like the one pictured?
Posted By: advertologist Re: Value of Texaco No Smoking Sign? - Sat Apr 14 2012 12:18 AM
Jamie,
wasn't the "black T" used up till the end of WWII?
Randy cool
Posted By: KentuckyT Re: Value of Texaco No Smoking Sign? - Sat Apr 14 2012 12:32 AM
Randy,

To my understanding the transition was pretty much completed by 40' (ish). I have a few pump plates from 40' with the white T.

Here are pictures of my sign.

Posted By: 57tbirdkid Re: Value of Texaco No Smoking Sign? - Sat Apr 14 2012 12:33 AM
Randy

I think these no smoking signs were reproduced with veribrite stamped on the back. 44 does seem late for a black T and like Jamie said 39ish seems to be the latest date i have seen also...might have seen a 41 once. There are so many repro versions of these no smoking signs I have passed on many for sale just because of this. Even Jamie and I were unsure of one that came up at auction and did not feel confident in the authenticity.
Posted By: blacktee Re: Value of Texaco No Smoking Sign? - Sat Apr 14 2012 12:39 AM
Randy

I'm fairly certain your's is a reproduction.

Doug
Posted By: advertologist Re: Value of Texaco No Smoking Sign? - Sat Apr 14 2012 12:53 AM
Scott's globe book list '46 as the change over from
blk T to white T . My 3/40 diesel is white T.
was there an extended transition period to change from
black to white? Picture of back of subject no smoking sign
with a date of 11-15-44 veribrite. I think tankar & I have the same possible repo..

Attached picture IMG_0295[1].JPG
Posted By: Tankar Re: Value of Texaco No Smoking Sign? - Sat Apr 14 2012 01:34 AM
mine is the same as the one pictured above. it fooled me if it is fake.
Posted By: advertologist Re: Value of Texaco No Smoking Sign? - Sat Apr 14 2012 01:36 AM
did you buy yours from a fellow named Brunker from (Minnesota).. cool
Posted By: Tankar Re: Value of Texaco No Smoking Sign? - Sat Apr 14 2012 01:42 AM
Honestly I cannot remember if it was at a show or where. I have had it for some time. cant even remember what I paid for it. Win some lose some, still sucks
Posted By: advertologist Re: Value of Texaco No Smoking Sign? - Sat Apr 14 2012 01:55 AM
I'm not to much in shock because I've always kinda suspected a possibility with that piece, like I mentioned
at the start of this post - now we know - any black T in
this style of No Smoking always has made me wonder.. cool
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: Value of Texaco No Smoking Sign? - Sat Apr 14 2012 02:24 AM
Here are Tankar's photos

Posted By: Tankar Re: Value of Texaco No Smoking Sign? - Sat Apr 14 2012 02:26 AM
Thanks Bob for offering to list my pics. but it;s the same one shown. I guess in 25 plus years collecting thats my 2nd unknown reproductuion I have bought guess I can complain.
Posted By: Tankar Re: Value of Texaco No Smoking Sign? - Sat Apr 14 2012 02:26 AM
Thanks Bob for offering to list my pics. but it;s the same one shown. I guess in 25 plus years collecting thats my 2nd unknown reproductuion I have bought guess I can complain.
Posted By: Tankar Re: Value of Texaco No Smoking Sign? - Sat Apr 14 2012 02:27 AM
I didnt think my pics. got to you Bob. Thanks
Posted By: advertologist Re: Value of Texaco No Smoking Sign? - Sat Apr 14 2012 02:29 AM
sign is exact, same date, same crook- I wonder how many of these are out there with people that don't know.. cool
Posted By: Tankar Re: Value of Texaco No Smoking Sign? - Sat Apr 14 2012 02:48 AM
I agree
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: Value of Texaco No Smoking Sign? - Sat Apr 14 2012 03:53 PM
The original sign posted is 100 % reproduction.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk