Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: AttleburyTreasures Glass Oil Bottles (Shell & Tiolene) - Wed Aug 08 2018 05:25 PM
Hello all,

Hoping I've come to the correct little corner of the internet. I'm in need of help with a couple of glass bottles I've come across...

1st is a very tall ( 18") glass bottle that has embossed ribs and is marked "Tiolene Motor Oil" just below the neck and "guaranteed one quart when sealed. The Pure Oil Co." towards the bottom.

2nd is 14 1/4" tall, is 8 sided and embossed with "fill to line" at neck, then "one liquid quart" then Shell in the shell emblem and "Golden Shell Motor Oil" towards the bottom. On the three back panels is "Golden Shell Motor Oil" embossed vertically.

any suggestions as to rarity of value would be very helpful, as I've mainly been dealing with milk bottles and fruit jars. lol

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: Jolly-John Re: Glass Oil Bottles (Shell & Tiolene) - Thu Aug 09 2018 06:05 PM
Both of these oil bottles have been REPRODUCED. You'll probably need to post pictures here before anyone can give you any specific information (real or fake). Also, you should indicate what color glass the Tiolene bottle is. John
Posted By: AttleburyTreasures Re: Glass Oil Bottles (Shell & Tiolene) - Thu Aug 09 2018 10:10 PM
I'll get the pictures up tomorrow, trying to clean out the insides now. The tiolene has a couple inches of gunk and possibly a dead mouse or two and the shell has the dessicated remains of a bird,I think. It's almost mummy like. Eww.
From what I've read online, they're both original since they were aquired from where I found them pre 70s at the latest. They're both clear glass.
Thanks in advance though.
Posted By: cggas Re: Glass Oil Bottles (Shell & Tiolene) - Fri Aug 10 2018 09:37 AM
Both of those bottles have been highly reproduced. Chris
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk