Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: BenJ Gulf Oil gallon glass jug, holy grail? - Sun Jun 24 2018 03:26 PM
Can anyone give me info about this? Age? Value?
Thanks![img]https://drive.google.com/open?id=1bjXsQje3Rjt9zBwZskHQqE2tf103blRx[/img]
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: Gulf Oil gallon glass jug, holy grail? - Sun Jun 24 2018 05:27 PM
I am not able to see the pic....says I "need permission"......
Posted By: Loyd Pierce Re: Gulf Oil gallon glass jug, holy grail? - Mon Jun 25 2018 02:26 AM
Originally Posted by DWSheffer
I am not able to see the pic....says I "need permission"......

Welcome to Oldgas Holy Braille I guess no one can view it.
Posted By: BenJ Re: Gulf Oil gallon glass jug, holy grail? - Mon Jun 25 2018 11:11 AM
sorry about that, I reset the permissions.

Attached File
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: Gulf Oil gallon glass jug, holy grail? - Mon Jun 25 2018 12:48 PM
I would surmise this would be a WW2 era item. Glass was used for oil as the metal shortage took it's toll and cans were not available.
Unfortunately you're not going to retire selling this item. The lack of graphics make this more of a novelty to Gulf collector, something to put in the collection to represent the era.
I personally feel value is quite limited.
Darin
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: Gulf Oil gallon glass jug, holy grail? - Mon Jun 25 2018 05:28 PM
Everyone keeps saying the bottles are from the WW2 era. The same restrictions on the use of cans was also true during the Korean conflict. That would mean the bottles could be from between 1953 (when the fighting stopped) and 1958 (when Eisenhower officially ended the Korean era).

Jack Sim
Posted By: Jolly-John Re: Gulf Oil gallon glass jug, holy grail? - Mon Jun 25 2018 06:16 PM
Probably don't quit your job yet, Ben, thinking this bottle could be the "holy grail" of Gulf oil collectibles!!! Just kidding you....but you did wonder in your posting headline. I agree with the comments made by Darin and Jack about possible age, appeal, and value. As most of us have learned over the years: just because something is rare, doesn't automatically make it valuable. If I owned your Gulf bottle, and were selling it at a swap meet, I'd probably start by pricing it around $85, and be ready to negotiate downward from there, as needed (to make the sale). Just my thoughts. John
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk