Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Stephenwarren30 30” Standard Oil DSP Barn Find Value - Sun Mar 18 2018 12:43 PM
I found this DSP 30” Stardard Oil and Gasoline Polarine barn hanger and was wondering what it’s value might be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached picture 4A6C7E1D-DA31-4D82-9197-E8B8A8DBF3EA.jpeg
Posted By: Tankar Re: 30” Standard Oil DSP Barn Find Value - Sun Mar 18 2018 02:31 PM
Great sign but value is not there.
Posted By: Stephenwarren30 Re: 30” Standard Oil DSP Barn Find Value - Mon Mar 19 2018 02:12 AM
But what would one expect this sign to sell for on Craig’s List, EBay, or at a swap meet?
Posted By: advertologist Re: 30” Standard Oil DSP Barn Find Value - Mon Mar 19 2018 02:27 AM
Originally Posted by Stephenwarren30
But what would one expect this sign to sell for on Craig’s List, EBay, or at a swap meet?

it is what it is & that isn't good, .. ... cool

value: minimal
Posted By: JimT Re: 30” Standard Oil DSP Barn Find Value - Tue Mar 20 2018 04:33 AM
Posted By: Catauladave Re: 30” Standard Oil DSP Barn Find Value - Fri Mar 23 2018 10:25 PM
I could not sell it for a hundred bucks. Extensive porcelain loss. Appears to have been creased or folded ? Interesting find though. Dave
Posted By: Alec Re: 30” Standard Oil DSP Barn Find Value - Mon Mar 26 2018 07:01 PM
Being someone who is not explicitly a collector of petroliana, I don't see the porcelain loss as making it worthless. It all depends on who likes that look. Sure, this sign in perfect condition would be amazing, but noncollectors probably wouldn't be able to tell it's not a repro. The damage and the wear is only testament to its age IMO. I could see the right person paying 300-400, because that what I would be if I had money.
Posted By: cggas Re: 30” Standard Oil DSP Barn Find Value - Tue Mar 27 2018 02:20 AM
Being A collector makes pricing things differently, then u have the other guys who just want a sign or 2 to hang by there old car....... myself $100 bucks tops , the sign is never going to increase in value. The other uneducated guy that only wants a few signs may pay $250? IMO chris
Posted By: jecos Re: 30” Standard Oil DSP Barn Find Value - Tue Mar 27 2018 05:24 PM
I agree with Lastgas15 about trying facebook. I'm constantly surprised at some of the offers made for really rough signs on groups like deal or no deal. Joe
Posted By: Patina rules Re: 30” Standard Oil DSP Barn Find Value - Wed Mar 28 2018 02:20 AM
I have to say (at least 2cents, maybe more smile ) I've been collecting for a number of years, and of course I would try to get a deal as much as anybody, but I would pay more than $275 for a sign like that. I absolutely love patina, of all kinds. To me it says I was there, I was in the fight. A lot of the cars I restore are "perfect" but some we do with patina and they look great. I believe there's a market for all types of collectors. Can you possibly make an argument that says if your only collecting so that your stuff will only be worth more money, are you really in love with the hobby, the history, or the money? Maybe...On the flip side, maybe your so in love with the hobby you want to preserve the history with the best examples. One things for sure...at any moment in time, it's only worth what someone will pay...
Posted By: JimT Re: 30” Standard Oil DSP Barn Find Value - Wed Mar 28 2018 03:59 AM
I disagree that those signs dont increase in value. They tripled in the last 7 or 8 years.
Posted By: advertologist Re: 30” Standard Oil DSP Barn Find Value - Wed Mar 28 2018 04:02 AM
Originally Posted by Patina rules
it's only worth what someone will pay...

ditto .. ... cool
Posted By: Patina rules Re: 30” Standard Oil DSP Barn Find Value - Wed Mar 28 2018 11:47 PM
One mans trash, is another mans treasure....
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: 30” Standard Oil DSP Barn Find Value - Thu Mar 29 2018 12:16 PM
Well said Bob.....I was told early on by a veteran collector to collect the best condition items I could find/afford. This helped me build a Mobil collection that I could probably not afford to replace today in comparable condition to what I have.
That said, I have developed somewhat of an appreciation for lesser condition porcelain signs. I guess every item we collect is a survivor, and I appreciate that. I've also been very happy I've purchased a few lesser condition items, as they were the only example I had seen after years of collecting, and a couple still are the only ones I've seen.
Darin
Posted By: Oldgas Re: 30” Standard Oil DSP Barn Find Value - Thu Mar 29 2018 11:58 PM
I have a couple fairly rough signs that I've never seen in better condition. Very happy I have them in my collection.
Posted By: wayno48 Re: 30” Standard Oil DSP Barn Find Value - Fri Mar 30 2018 01:00 AM
I would like to see those signs. If you need help pos...g lol
Posted By: Oldgas Re: 30” Standard Oil DSP Barn Find Value - Fri Mar 30 2018 01:15 AM
Here is one of my rough signs. It has been bent and shot, but I love it. Wish it were mint, but I'm proud to have it for the history and it's importance to my collecting specialty.

Attached picture sw-opex-flg.jpg
Posted By: wayno48 Re: 30” Standard Oil DSP Barn Find Value - Fri Mar 30 2018 01:27 AM
Very nice and a flange to boot
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk