Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Firewater45 Texaco Sign - Mon May 15 2017 04:52 PM
Is this sign a fantasy piece or the real deal? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Attached picture IMG_2608.JPG
Attached picture IMG_2608.JPG
Posted By: jecos Re: Texaco Sign - Mon May 15 2017 07:11 PM
I have a similar sign that appears to be about the same size. Mine reads "Texaco Gasolines" and "Localized For You" and is dated 1965. Its also got a rigid metal frame and I have a cardboard insert that I think was inserted into the framing. Joe
Posted By: Alex Re: Texaco Sign - Tue May 16 2017 10:00 PM
The print on your sign looks different than mine. Also the border on your sign is different. I know that some came with a rigid frame. I wonder if there were a couple of versions?? Mine has a white piece sticking out top and bottom and had hardware that was made to attach itself to the large "banjo" Texaco signs that were out on the curb. Unfortunately I accidently threw away the instructions and clips to attach it. I am not sure if there were other versions of t his or not. Mine is tin and very "bendy"...I know mine is original as I bought a case of them out of a bulk plant in Montana and the box was printed with the sign information.

Joe, would be interested in seeing the cardboard insert you were referring to.

Attached picture Texaco Localized.jpg
Posted By: jecos Re: Texaco Sign - Wed May 17 2017 12:14 AM
Alex, here's pics of the metal sign and the sign with the insert partially installed. Hope they load correctly.

Attached picture texaco.jpg
Attached picture texaco_insert.jpg
Posted By: pipes Re: Texaco Sign - Wed May 17 2017 01:52 AM
Looks like a modern computer font......
Posted By: Alex Re: Texaco Sign - Wed May 17 2017 09:22 PM
Firewater 45...sorry if I "hijacked" your thread. I was curious about the other size sign. the font does not look "quite right", but I am not 100% sure.
Posted By: Firewater45 Re: Texaco Sign - Fri May 19 2017 09:35 AM
Alex, no big deal. The sign did not look right to me either, I also thought the font did not look right but a small part of me wanted it to be real. Thanks for everyone's input.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk