Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: djhubba COTM JULY: UNION OIL COMPANY - Thu Jul 01 2004 06:45 AM
First let me start off by saying thanks to everyone for their kind thoughts through my continuing personal crisis’ and that this website and all of its members especially the active ones have become an online Family to me that I hold dear to my heart. I didn’t want my personal life to effect this Months Company of the Month and worked hard on researching the Union Oil Company of California as to not let the members down. There are some members that offered to help me with it since they worked for the Company for years and to them I said thanks, but I wanted to do it on my own. It took my mind off things, it was a lot of work but was fun for me at the same time. I encourage those members who offered to help to post memories, tidbits and pictures as they see fit. As always membership participation is greatly encouraged so everyone feel free to jump in anytime.. Most of the facts I have written about came from a book I own called “Sign of the 76” the Fabulous life and times of the Union Oil Company of California put out by the Company in 1976. I also drew stuff from old advertisements and articles written about the Company in old petro magazines. It is not my intent to plajorize and I tried to relay the info in my own words, but wanted to be thorough. I have written a detailed account of Historical information but I will also include a short sweet outline of major events in the Companies History for people who don’t want to read all the details and want a brief overview as to view the pictures of the collectibles sooner. As for said collectibles…MOST of the pictures I will post came from My Good friend Tom Stovers amazing Union collection. I want to thank him for the opportunity to photograph his collection and the permission to post it. Speaking of my posted pictures…the service I use for uploading them to Oldgas only hosts them for a couple of Months or so : so if anyone wants them to keep I suggest they download them to a folder because they wont be available in a couple of months. This is the only way I know how to post pictures, thanks for your patience. I truly hope you enjoy this Months Company of the Month : The Union Oil Company of California. I will start with the long version and will post an outline of major events later.
UNION OIL : EARLY DESPERATION TO SUCCESSFUL CORPORATION.

Jane irwin Stewart and William Reynolds Stewart had seven children. The second child born on July 22nd 1840 was named Lyman Stewart and would be later on in his life be recognized as one of the most successful oil men of his time.

As a teen in the late 1850’s Lymans job was to collect hides from local Farmers for his Fathers tannery in Northwestern Pa. Lyman loathed those stinky hides and to occupy his mind while doing this oderous menial task he would keep his eyes out for mysterious seeps which were commonly referred to as “Rock Oil”. The sticky black substance at the time was used in “medicines” that claimed to cure everything, not unlike the famous “snake oil” that grifters would peddle from town to town.Not really concerned with the gooey substance at the time, it was just a way to pass the time while collecting those dreaded hides for Dad. Lyman never realized at the time that this harmless pastime would make him the envy of seep geologists fro his uncanny “nose for oil”.
Lyman was a spiritual man and had plans to do much missionary work, he was much more concerned with this than “seneca oil” as it was locally labeled because of the Seneca Indians of that region used the substance as a bartering chip for the goods they needed. At first Lyman followed in his fathers footsteps at the Tannery which he detested greatly but continued to dream of Missionary work and spreading the Gospel.
Shortly after Edwin L. Drake, (Colonel Drake as he would become to be known after a buisiness partner tagged him with the nickname to give him more credibility) a retired railroad conductor struck oil for the first time using the drilling process in Titusville PA Aug 27th 1859, Lyman entertained the idea of the oil trade to fund his dream of becoming a missionary. After investing all the money Lyman had saved ($125.00) on Dec 5th 1859 on a piece of land on a local farm proved to be fruitless it wouldn’t be until 1861 before Lyman took another whack at oil. Ironically the same farm that let lyman down would (6 years later) go on to pump out 300 barrels a day. Thus proving his “nose for oil” didn’t fail him but perhaps his equipment did.
After 2 years of saving money, Lyman had enough for his second plunge. He had a handful of investors lease some land on another farm and this well proved to be a producer. Unfortunatly at the time many other wells were too thus flooding the market in effect driving prices down that eventually led to Lyman losing the lease on his well. After this successful second plunge Lyman caught “oil fever” and it never left him.

Although in 1862 a lot of oil was being produced..the combination of a saturated U.S. Market and the Civil War cutting off the export of PA crude to a promising European market made it a profitable time for oil. After his 3 year tour of Duty as a Private in the 16th Pa calvary during the Civil War, Lyman returned to Tittusville in 1865 He was bewildered at the changes that had taken place in the oil industry in his 3 year absence. Better equipment, ways of transporting the black gold as well as population mushroomed with oil seekers. Titusville went from having one Hotel to having 13 and the landscape of this little town was littered with derricks. The rush was onand the once sleepy town had now become a boomtown. A recent veteran with no Capitol to fund another plunge, Lyman was as determined as ever to make his mark in the oil industry and not fall back into his hated career as a tanner.

After a short stint at a Poughkeepsie N.Y. Business college, Lyman returned to Pa in 1866 and opened a tiny office near Tittusville to negotiate oil leases. With some of these wells “coming in” Lyman finally came into profits and by 1868 was considered a well established operator. After many deals that were good and many that were bad, Lyman fell on hard times again in 1869. It seemed every cent he made went to expenses and finally he lost his home and had to become a meager wage earner just to support his Family.

Luck cast its light upon him again in 1877, when a Brother of a friend came in from California to visit Tittusville . That man was named Wallace Hardison. Hardison proposed that they be partners and buy some oil properties. Lyman explaned his embarrassing financial situation and declined the proposal. Hardison didn’t accept this and explaned in so many words that he had the wallet and Lyman had the oil knowledge. With only a handshake sealing the deal, Lyman Stewart and Wally Hardison went on to be friends and buisiness partners for many years to come. After making some money with wells in Btradford Pa, Lyman and Hardison sold out and went their separate ways. Lyman then met up with an old aquaintance I, E. Blake who spoke of the Bounty of California oil underneath the Pacific Coast States crust. This intrigued Lyman and in 1883 Lyman took a train from PA to CA with not much more than a hand held Bible and a dream of more profitable oil investments.

Lyman Stewart landed I Los Angeles at the age of 43 and although he had made almost a million in oil had nearly lost it all on oil as well. Vowing never to go flat broke on a hole in the ground again, unless it was a sure thing. Lyman remained cautious. After thoroughly researching the are, Lyman picked a site on Christian hill in Pic Canyon to drill on. He immediately wired his friend Mr. Hardison and told him of the prospect. Mr Hardisons respect for Lymans knowledge of oil and faith in his judgement made it easy for him to invest $135,000 for their california oil drilling venture.
Shortly after operations began they found it much more difficult to drill for oil in California on account of the rocky soil. Four attempts for profitable wells with no results and to add insult to injury they were losing expensive drill bits on Californias harsh terrane. The partnership faced disasterafter hill #5 was drilled yielding nothing but dirt and rock. They only had funds for one more chance so it had to be a good one. They moved from Christian Hillto Tar Creek. Tar Creek should have been named “Tar Bleek” because it was dry as well. Undonted, these brave oil men use alltheir personal assets to acquire loans to fund more drilling. Well #7 unfruitful..the partners were now DESPERATE. They knew the oil was there it just had eluded them. FINALLY, extremely in debt, lady luck looked their way when #8 struck oil Producing 75 Barrels a day. This was God sent to the partnership because of the many dry wells had taking a toll on not only their wallets but their friendship/partnership as well. Although it was a producer they didn’t have the funds to develop the oil and “star #1 “ was sold to pay off debt and make a new start. Ironically after the sale of Star well #1 production fell to about half and it seems the partnership sold out at a most opportune moment.

With debt satisfied from the sale of star #1 …The partnership bought property in Ventura county. They didn’t have much money but the brazen oil men had charisma and dreams. The adams well in Ventura yeilded small profits but not what they expected so using the small profits from the Ventura wells they set uo in Puente, not far from LA. This is where Lyman Stewart would come up with an innovation that would revolutionize the oil industry. It was standard to use coal to heat the boilers that made steam for powering the drilling rig engine. This proved expensive. Lyman came up with the idea of using the crude to power the engines thus making the whole drilling system self sufficiant. This innovation proved to make Lyman Stewart an oil apostle of California, but his great ideas didn’t stop there he also came up with laying pipeline from wells to refinery which proved to be a giant leap forward for the industry. Although these inventions were spectacular, the partnership was both blessed with success and plagued with failure.

The Hardison Stewart Oil Company was incorporated on Dec 28th 1886. Lyman was pres and Hardison VP. And although the dynamic duo was pumped out 50,000 barrells of oil for that year (nearly 1/7th of all of Californias output) Debt, equipment upkeep bank rolling and rigging and well crews made them finacially starving. Due to constant expansion and debt..the Partnership never seemed to be financially flush. After 7 years of hunting for CA oil, the partnership was still broke. When an Eastern investor offered to buy 49% of the Companies stock boasting they he developed a new refining process that would double the amount of kerosene extracted from California crude…if sucsesful it would revolutionize the Wests oil business. Although they had no cash in hand because of loans and expenses their properties were appraised at $1,800,000 and part of this new deal was that the Hardison & Stewart Oil Co., the sespe Oil Co, and the torrey Canyon Oil Co, merge into one Corporation. This Merger officially happened on October 17th, 1890 and Thus The Union Oil Company of California was Born.
--------------------------------------------
Here are some early pocket calanders to get us started.

------------------
Hubba the GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Shoreline WA
Posted By: djhubba Re: COTM JULY: UNION OIL COMPANY - Thu Jul 01 2004 06:49 AM

------------------
Posted By: T-way Re: COTM JULY: UNION OIL COMPANY - Thu Jul 01 2004 10:40 AM
Guys and Gals:

Here is a custom decal I did for one of the Oldgas members. It's a reproduction of one of the globes/decals used by the company. (Didn't you get a couple of these too Hubba?)

Later . . .

Jim

------------------
http://www.vintage-logos.com

[This message has been edited by T-way (edited 07-01-2004).]
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: COTM JULY: UNION OIL COMPANY - Fri Jul 02 2004 02:41 AM
Great so far Hubba!! Can't wait to read the next installment.
Pops
Posted By: djhubba Re: COTM JULY: UNION OIL COMPANY - Fri Jul 02 2004 07:40 AM
A Decade of Discord

For nearly 10 years the President of Union Oil co. Thomas R. Bard and V.P. Lyman Stewart fueded about almost everything. Mostly on the Philosophy on how the Company should be run. Stewart had a vision and wanted to establish a long lived Company by investing in other oil lands, while Bard wanted to pump crude as fast aspossible and turn it for a quick profit. The upper executives of the Union Oil Co. had inadvertantly formed 2 camps…one that sided with the Stewarts and one that backed Bards Philosophy. Realizing that Stewart had a “nose fro oil” the Board voted that Stewart could purchase land on his hunches as long as it wasn’t over $5.00 an acre. With his leash loosened a bit , Stewart went on an oil land buying frenzy. So much so that it kept the Union Oil Co. on the brink of Bankrupcy and his old friend/partner Hardison deserted him. In 1891 a lawsuit by a San Fransisco Firm calling itself the “Union Oil Company” was thrown out of court because Bard pointed out they weren’t incorporated and in fact THEY had the exclusive rights to the name. There was also a threat around that time by a Pennsylvania firm calling itself the “Union oil Co.” but it quickly faded away when that Company was absorbed by a competitor.
Stewarts buying frenzy paid off when on Feb 28th 1892 “Adams well #28 came in and cam in good gushing Californias biggest strike at that time. After pouring out 40,000 Barrels of oil it finally settled down to a steady 200 barrels a day. Unfortunately in 1893 ,a depression year, prices fell to 25 cents a barrel and the union Oil Co. was hit hard by this. The Financial hardships were only one factor in the struggle for success. The Co founders of the Company were still at each others throats and in 1894 Bard stated he “would do everything in his power to defeat the ambitions of the Stewart Family” . On July 24th 1894, in the Stewarts and Hardisons absents, Bard resigned his position as president of Union and convinced the board to appoint D.T. Perkins. Bards devious maneuver backfired When Stewart and Hardison found out what Bard had done they began campaigning for votes and the very next corporate meeting, Stewart was not only named President of Union Oil but General Manager as well. D.T. Perkins term as President only ran from July to October 1894.
By the age of 58 , Lyman Stewarts daily overseeing of operations and president of the Company had taken its toll for the seasoned wildcatter and in 1898 he resigned his managerial positionand was replaced by his Son, Will Stewart. Will had previously been Unions secretary and had a great knowledge of its day to day operations. After nearly 10 years of fueding with the Stewart Family, Bard made his exit from Union Oil on Dec 18th 1900 and resigned as director.
By the Year 1900, California was emerging as the worlds leading supplier of oil. With Unions Capitol doubling to $10,000,000 and the Stewart Family firmly in place at the helm, the the new decade ahead held promise for this California Corporation.

here are some pump plates , the first being very rare.

------------------
Posted By: djhubba Re: COTM JULY: UNION OIL COMPANY - Fri Jul 02 2004 08:41 PM
Here is an early shield shaped sign.

A thick metal plate..maybe Tom can tell us it use.

------------------
Posted By: Tom Stover Re: COTM JULY: UNION OIL COMPANY - Sat Jul 03 2004 01:08 AM
Hubba, great job so far buddy!!! I believe the metal plate that you showed was used to stamp ink on the end of crates or cardboard boxes. (That would explain why the word "Union" is backwards & it's curved shape). But right now it makes a great doorstop!!!!
Posted By: PLUM_72 Re: COTM JULY: UNION OIL COMPANY - Sat Jul 03 2004 01:30 AM
Cool stuff Hubba! Being new to the old gas hobby, I haven't seen many Union Oil collectibles. It's been a cool learning experience so far. One question, where did the 76 come from? Or am I asking this too early and should wait for the next installment...

------------------
-Dave-
Slowly progressing on a '54 Tokheim 39
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: COTM JULY: UNION OIL COMPANY - Sat Jul 03 2004 02:47 AM

Sure would like to find the MINUTE MAN sign on the canopy !
Location unknown.
2nd row [of red & white stripe sheilds] are : U.O.C. OF ARIZONA, U.O.C. OF CALIFORNIA, U.O.C. OF NEVADA and U.O.C.

This is my best guess on the dates that these logo's were used by Union Oil Co.
As Tom knows, I have 100's of NOS printed paper labels, from 1/4oz thru 55gal.
Dick
Santa Paula, Ca.
The Birthplace of Union Oil Co.

[This message has been edited by Dick Bennett (edited 07-02-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Dick Bennett (edited 07-08-2004).]
Posted By: 5 quart Re: COTM JULY: UNION OIL COMPANY - Sun Jul 04 2004 09:11 PM
Few Union 5 qts- thanks don

------------------
Wanted 5 quart cans
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: COTM JULY: UNION OIL COMPANY - Sun Jul 04 2004 10:48 PM
A couple of truck signs. "Notice" sign went on dash or between sunvisors. "Home Of U.O.C." went under sign on doors [only 12 were made, according to distributor].

Early greese bucket lid, embossed.

[This message has been edited by Dick Bennett (edited 07-04-2004).]
Posted By: djhubba Re: COTM JULY: UNION OIL COMPANY - Mon Jul 05 2004 04:38 PM
Stewarts ambition

Lyman Stewarts lust for expansion hadn’t diminished over the years and using Company profits and still borrowing against his assets he continued to expand. In 1891 this expansion not only included oil lands but oil storage facilities on 3 Hawaiian islands that could store 227,000 barrels of crude. A long with storage facilities he had a huge ship built called the Barkentine fullerton which could transport 16,000 barrels to and from the islands. Although they had twice before tried to absorb the Union Oil Co., The Standard Oil company tried again in 1903. They were unsuccessful. Standard wanted Unions refineries, marketing and transportation facilities but the deal fell through when Stewart stipulated as a condition of the sale that 40,000,000 barrels of Union crude also be purchased. Although Union had sold many “producing” wells, it wasn’t until Dec 2nd 1904 when another famous Union Gusher came in. Affectionatly named “Old Maude” it was only by fortunate happenstance this gusher came to be. A Boiler fell off a wagon in the percise spot the well was to be drilled and instead of moving it, which meant a whole day behind schedual, the boss in anger said leave it there and they moved the well over. Little did they know a few yards would “make all the difference in the world”. Old Maude ended up shooting oil 150 feet in the air. Oil was gushing so fast they could hardly contain it. 12,000 Barrels a day for the first 100 days , then a steady 10,000 barrels a day. Old Maude continued to produce for 14 years until some rigging broke and instead of fixing it, crews just moved to a new well 65 feet away. Old maude lay dormant until 1945 when wartime demand for oil was at a peak. No one knew if she would ever produce again but when they fixed the rigging and pump, she went on to yield 175 barrels a day, proving to skeptics the old gal still had it in her.
-----------------------------------------
Here are some cool building signs

------------------

[This message has been edited by djhubba (edited 07-05-2004).]
Posted By: djhubba Re: COTM JULY: UNION OIL COMPANY - Wed Jul 07 2004 12:49 AM
Year of disaster

Even with all of Old Maudes success as an oil producer, Union Oil Co named the year 1906 “the Year of disaster”. The San fransisco Earthquake had destroyed and Burned Unions storage facilities and records. This delayed work greatly and even more devastation occurred when a large storage tank in portsmouth Oregon exploded taking out the plant and warf. Around that same time the union tanker Santa Rita ran into a bad storm and had to dump much of her cargo just to save the ship. The newly finished Panama pipeline union built turned out to be a white elephant. Although all these incidents were all major set backs, Union went into 1907 optimistcally. While keeping a float financially and continually making Company investments, by the end of 1909 Union held 229,804 acres of oil land.
---------------------------------------------
Here are some signs..the first being an ultra rare carboard sign that my Buddy Tom Stover saved from being dump fodder.

------------------
Posted By: djhubba Re: COTM JULY: UNION OIL COMPANY - Thu Jul 08 2004 01:17 AM
Here is an awesome ORIGINAL wayne 70 Union pump from Tom Stovers amazing collection.. Untouched and Beautiful...check out that original decal.

here ia a trespassing sign.

------------------
Posted By: gaspower Re: COTM JULY: UNION OIL COMPANY - Thu Jul 08 2004 03:15 AM
Here's a few for my friend Hubba. I've been told the second one is an oil rack sign and the third is a waiting room bench sign.

[This message has been edited by gaspower (edited 07-07-2004).]

[This message has been edited by gaspower (edited 07-09-2004).]
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: COTM JULY: UNION OIL COMPANY - Thu Jul 08 2004 01:46 PM
GREAT REPORT HUBBA! SUPER HISTORY AND AWESOME PIECES SO FAR! NOW I'M GONNA HELP OUT AND POST SOME OF MY "76" ITEMS. UNION OIL CO WAS NOT VERY BIG HERE ON THE EAST COAST...MAYBE A TRUCK STOP HERE AND THERE. MY 6' SIGN CAME FROM AN AUCTION IN GEORGIA SOME YEARS BACK....

AND ONLY 6 MAPS IN MY PRETTY EXTENSIVE COLLECTION - ALSO SHOWING DETAILS FROM THE MAPS OF THE UNION OIL'S MINUTEMEN!

MORE IN NEXT POST...

DOC @ TAG/WEST
drcoke@optonline.net

[This message has been edited by THE AMERICAN GARAGE (edited 07-08-2004).]
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: COTM JULY: UNION OIL COMPANY - Thu Jul 08 2004 01:54 PM
2 MORE MINUTEMEN DETAILS....

GOTTA LOVE 'EM!

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGES
drcoke@optonline.net
Posted By: djhubba Re: COTM JULY: UNION OIL COMPANY - Thu Jul 08 2004 02:36 PM
Thanks everyone for posting....there is plenty more but feel free to jump in. Doc tag...GREAT minuteman graphics on those maps...too cool.

------------------
Posted By: djhubba Re: COTM JULY: UNION OIL COMPANY - Thu Jul 08 2004 02:50 PM
Dry Hole Charlies story

A Wildcatter named C.L. Woods had so many years of drilling bogus wells had earned him the reluctant nickname of “Dry Hole Charlie”. He briefly worked for Union as a driller in the early days. Charlies Luck changed and changed big in 1909 when after years of drilling dusters he got permission to drill on one of Unions properties in the san Jauaquin Valley. After expending all of their cash, Charlie and his crew sought help from Union. After breaking cables, bits and pumps, Union loaned the wildcatter a small crew and some equipment to fish for some of the bits that fell down a well hole. After losing Unions equipment down the same hole they were “fishing” in…Charlie pleaded with union to take over the operation because he had a hunch. Realizing the hole wasn’t deep enough yet to yield oil, but too deep to abandon, Union reluctantly agreed.. They sent crews there in their spare time to drill when their other operations were slow. Union now owned 51 percent of the dry hole wildcatters operation and they owned 49 percent. On March 15th 1910 Lakeview #1 came in and came in HUGE. Dry hole Charlie finally struck oil with the help of the Union Oil Company. Lakeview #1 after 18 months of production, ceased as quickly as it started but Unions officials estimate it pumped out9 million barrels of oil. Oil men for years to come would reminice about the famous well and say, “There never will be another gusher like old Lakeview”.
----------------------------------------

a great no smoking sign w/minuteman.

white magic globe from 1932-35

another early globe from the 1920's

a porcelain dealer sign.

------------------
Posted By: Tom Stover Re: COTM JULY: UNION OIL COMPANY - Thu Jul 08 2004 11:26 PM
Keep 'em coming guys! I'd like to see some more Union stuff that I don't have/ or have never seen!!!!!
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: COTM JULY: UNION OIL COMPANY - Fri Jul 09 2004 03:11 AM

This DUMMY [me] traded the 1st & 3rd off years ago !

[This message has been edited by Dick Bennett (edited 07-08-2004).]
Posted By: djhubba Re: COTM JULY: UNION OIL COMPANY - Fri Jul 09 2004 06:16 PM

a very cool 76 pennant

This unoco globe was used 1925-1932

detail of original Union sticker on globe.

this globe was used 1935-1946

------------------

[This message has been edited by djhubba (edited 07-09-2004).]
Posted By: Tokheim Re: COTM JULY: UNION OIL COMPANY - Fri Jul 09 2004 06:36 PM
Great info Hubba, and cool stuff from all.
I love that Union Ethyl die-cut pump sign!
Posted By: djhubba Re: COTM JULY: UNION OIL COMPANY - Fri Jul 09 2004 07:00 PM
Union and the dawn of the automobile

Many of the early decades of Union was oil rich and dollar poor. In the mid teens the Company pioneered a practice that has caught on quite well over the years. They opened their doors of the 6th street garage and sold tanks of gasoline to anyone who drove up. It can be debated by collectors and Historians whether the honor of “the first gas station” can go to Union Oil for this practice but it’s a fact by the 1920’s Union Oil stations began to appear throughout California. As the age of the automobile arrived so did its need for gasoline. Soon gas was the most important and profitable product of refinement. By 1920 Union oil was operating 56 strings of drilling tools and had bought or leased 274,414 acres of oil land. Union utilized top Geologists and arial surveyed, photographed, and mapped potential oil fields for expansion. In 1922 Union came close to being acquired by the British controlled Royal Dutch SHELL. Union successfully defeated the foreign grab and the infant oil giant stayed American owned and operated. In 1924 Shell unloaded its shares of Union oil stock and in November 1924, Union Oil Company of California was listed on the New York Stock Exchange.

This union globe was used 1932-1935

some original Union a-38 ad glass

------------------
Posted By: djhubba Re: COTM JULY: UNION OIL COMPANY - Sat Jul 10 2004 06:40 AM

pump plate

ad glass

some old cans..check out that cool gasoline can to the left.

gas can detail

lubricating oil can detail.

------------------
Posted By: djhubba Re: COTM JULY: UNION OIL COMPANY - Sun Jul 11 2004 09:24 AM

an awesome life preserver that went on a Union tanker...too cool.

some old redline buckets.

a nice kerosene sign.

a great deisel pump plate.

------------------
Posted By: djhubba Re: COTM JULY: UNION OIL COMPANY - Sun Jul 11 2004 05:24 PM
Chart of some of Unions most producing oil wells.

Hartnell#1 (Old Maude)….2,000,000 barrels in 6 years
Santa Maria #10…………1,700,073 barrels in 3 years
Santa Maria #5…………..1,662,000 barrels in 4 years
Folsum #2………………..1,635,000 barrels in 5 years
Columbia #1……………..l887,000 barrels in 4 years
Hobbs #6…………………581,000 barrels in 5 years
New Love #12……………255,000 barrels in 2 years
Lakeview #1…………….5,6000,000 barrels in the first nine months

--------------------------------------------
here are some original oil and grease dispencers.

------------------
Posted By: big cheese Re: COTM JULY: UNION OIL COMPANY - Sun Jul 11 2004 10:14 PM
RIGHT ON HUBBA, GREAT JOB. LOVE ALL THE PHOTOS , REALLY ENJOYED SEEING THEM GLOBES DICK B. POSTED, KEEP THEM COMMING, WISHED I HAD SOMETHINGTO POST TO HELP OUT. CHEESE
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: COTM JULY: UNION OIL COMPANY - Sun Jul 11 2004 10:31 PM

Early 5gal. labels N.O.S.

Union Garden Sprayer

[This message has been edited by Dick Bennett (edited 07-11-2004).]
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: COTM JULY: UNION OIL COMPANY - Sun Jul 11 2004 11:11 PM
Two 4" & one 7" porceline signs

1 gallon bif [bugs, insects, flys], back & front. Also have a quart retangle can, same image.

KAYDOL [mineral oil]

Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: COTM JULY: UNION OIL COMPANY - Mon Jul 12 2004 02:47 AM
Product display [same on both sides].

5in product stickers

Credit card signs. 30", 22" & 18x36"
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: COTM JULY: UNION OIL COMPANY - Mon Jul 12 2004 02:56 AM
Something differant

Canadian sign MADE IN USA
Posted By: djhubba Re: COTM JULY: UNION OIL COMPANY - Mon Jul 12 2004 02:11 PM
Great stuff Dick..thanks for posting.

------------------
Posted By: djhubba Re: COTM JULY: UNION OIL COMPANY - Wed Jul 14 2004 02:24 AM
Some photos of old Union Dealer News from the late 30's. Neat Stuff.

Above is Toms can rack and some pictures of it when those racks came out in Union Dealer News.

------------------

[This message has been edited by djhubba (edited 07-13-2004).]
Posted By: djhubba Re: COTM JULY: UNION OIL COMPANY - Wed Jul 14 2004 05:06 AM
Here are some of Toms Union smalls in a great display case.

------------------
Posted By: djhubba Re: COTM JULY: UNION OIL COMPANY - Wed Jul 14 2004 02:05 PM

more from the display case

display case stuff

service box

winter front

original artwork for Holiday ad

hand built lil play station

------------------
Posted By: djhubba Re: COTM JULY: UNION OIL COMPANY - Wed Jul 14 2004 03:19 PM
Factoidal Tidbit #1

One of the most spectacular and costly fires in the history of the Petroleum industry happened on April 7th 1926 when lightening struck Union owned San Luis Obispo tank farm. This great tragedy spurred Union to build specialized fire Schools to train the latest technics for haulting oil blazes.

------------------
Posted By: djhubba Re: COTM JULY: UNION OIL COMPANY - Thu Jul 15 2004 01:23 AM
This is from: the Personnel Directory of the Producing Division of California Oil Operators 1949

Union Oil Company of Ca - 617 W. 7th St., LA 14-ma 9-3261 (Affiliated Company: Claremont Oil Co)

A.C. Rubel – Vice Pres / Sam Grinsfelder Vice Pres / Basil P Kantzer – mgr field op / H.A. Brett prod engr / W.S. Eggleston ch. Petro engr / T.R. Tinker – Dist Foreman / Jack L Stair – Prod foreman / L. S. Kelsey- Dist Poduction Foreman / J. E. Sherbourne – Ch Prod Engr / H. E. Winter – Supervisor Drilling Contracts ./ John R. Fraser – Division petro Engr / K. C. Vaughan – Supt of Prod / A. F. Woodward – Sr. Petro Engr / Milan G. Arthur – So. Prod. Engr / A. G. Hilton – Co. Div Sr. Petro Engr / W. O. Butler – Co Div Sup of Production / B. R. griffith – Co Div Petro Engr / Ernest Miller – Dist Production Foreman / R. L. talley – orcutt dist prod Foreman / Ralph Rampton – SJ SR Petro Engr / Vaughn Moyer – SJ Div Prod Engr / Ralph A. McGoey - SJV div supt / H. L. McCarty – bakersfield Prod foreman / H. W. Martin – Taft Prod foreman / C. W. froome – Santa Paula Sup of Production / R. H. Zinszer – Santa Paula Sr. Prod engr / H. D. Aggers – Dominguez Dist Prod Foreman / Chas Bowden - So Div Petro Engr / Carl A. Steiner – Dominguez Div Petro Engr / Wm F. Cerini Prod Engr.

------------------
Posted By: Scott Shipers Re: COTM JULY: UNION OIL COMPANY - Thu Jul 15 2004 11:09 AM
Here is a Royal Triton curb sign from my dads collection.
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4d935b3127cceb26f2e6abb6f0000003610[/img]

------------------
Scott Shipers
Kansas City, Misssouri
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: COTM JULY: UNION OIL COMPANY - Fri Jul 16 2004 01:30 AM

Lower portion has an oil dipstick chart decal for cars of the time [HUDSON, FRAZER, KAISER + all of the regulars].

There are at least 2 more UNION decals UNDER the one on top.
Posted By: djhubba Re: COTM JULY: UNION OIL COMPANY - Fri Jul 16 2004 03:00 AM
Heres another windshield service box...Thanks Dick for posting.

Heres a nice Union restroom sign.

heres is another nice Triton sign.

------------------

[This message has been edited by djhubba (edited 07-15-2004).]
Posted By: Gary Drye Re: COTM JULY: UNION OIL COMPANY - Sat Jul 17 2004 01:05 PM
Super, Super job Hubba. ALL the items are great!
Posted By: djhubba Re: COTM JULY: UNION OIL COMPANY - Sun Jul 18 2004 10:32 AM

This is Toms Big neon 76 sign...its KILLER...he had the can on the back custom made and had the neon redone and it looks fantastic as you can see.

------------------
Posted By: djhubba Re: COTM JULY: UNION OIL COMPANY - Mon Jul 19 2004 09:35 AM
Factoid tidbit #2

Union Oil Had Marketing ties to space exploration that proved evident with their launch of the 76/Unocal satellite (commonly referred to as the antenna ball). They supplied Lubricating oils and greases to Seattles Space needles rotating restaurant that was unveiled at the 1962 worlds fair. In 1962 the First 76 Sphere appeared as an illuminated sign high atop a union sponsored amusement ride called the skyride which was extremely popular with patrons because of the numerous free tickets Union handed out.

------------------

[This message has been edited by djhubba (edited 07-19-2004).]
Posted By: djhubba Re: COTM JULY: UNION OIL COMPANY - Tue Jul 20 2004 12:02 AM

some more of Toms signage

------------------
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: COTM JULY: UNION OIL COMPANY - Tue Jul 20 2004 01:55 AM
Hey TOM,
I need your 36B TOP.
YOUR holding out on ME !!!!!! LMAO !!
NICE STUFF.
Dick
Posted By: Tom Stover Re: COTM JULY: UNION OIL COMPANY - Tue Jul 20 2004 05:33 AM
Hey, it's the only 36b that I own!! Thanks for the compliment, your stuff as always is killer!!!
Posted By: djhubba Re: COTM JULY: UNION OIL COMPANY - Thu Jul 22 2004 12:27 AM

------------------
Posted By: djhubba Re: COTM JULY: UNION OIL COMPANY - Fri Jul 23 2004 12:59 AM

some more of Tom Stovers amazing Union collection.

------------------

[This message has been edited by djhubba (edited 07-22-2004).]
Posted By: djhubba Re: COTM JULY: UNION OIL COMPANY - Sun Jul 25 2004 07:47 PM
here is some more of Toms outstanding collection.

Look at this great station from an old advertisment.

[img]

------------------
Posted By: djhubba Re: COTM JULY: UNION OIL COMPANY - Mon Jul 26 2004 02:29 PM
here is some union stuff from oldgas member and friend Dan Franchi.
globe is extremely rare. It is 12-1/2” high profile metal

Thanks dan for sending these in...too cool

------------------
Posted By: djhubba Re: COTM JULY: UNION OIL COMPANY - Tue Jul 27 2004 12:05 AM
This killer 36b done to Union was sent in by opldgas member and Friend Gary Pedersen...Thanks Gary :-)

------------------
Posted By: djhubba Re: COTM JULY: UNION OIL COMPANY - Tue Jul 27 2004 05:34 PM
Here is some more of Toms collection...nice display

here are some cool old Union cans.

------------------
Posted By: djhubba Re: COTM JULY: UNION OIL COMPANY - Wed Jul 28 2004 11:55 PM
Ok Gas geeks and mild enthusiests alike...as promised heres a condensed timeline of the Union Oil Company. Only a couple days left to jump in and post a pic of your Union stuff or merely share a Union story or fond station memory. Thanks all who have looked at this thread and everyone who personally emailed me with kind words and encouragement. I esspecially want to thank ,my Buddy tom Stover fro letting me post pics of his awesome collection...couldnt have done it without him..Thanks
--------------------------------------------___Condensed Time Line___

1886: Lyman Stewart and W.L. Hardison discover oil near Santa Paula California, but transportation costs appear prohibitive. They come up with a plan and dispite the nay sayers and skeptics build the first Western pipeline.

1887: After drilling many dry wells and on the brink of financial ruin. A Los Angeles Banker loans them enough capital to drill one more hole, which comes in and gushes big.

1888: Financially sound for the time being. Hardison and Stewart focus on other innovations and build the first oil tanker on the Pacific Coast which runs between Ventura and san Francisco. This was an amazing asset to the buisiness but unfortunatel caught fire and was completely destroyed about a year after its maiden voyage.

1890: Hardison and Stewart merge with Mission transfer Co and Sespe and torrey Canyon oil and form the Union Oil Company of California.

1891 Union establishes the first petroleum research lab in the Western US at its Santa Paula refinery

1894: The oil industry was booming and the market was saturated with product. This over production led to reduction in profits. Union oil men came up with a solution by converting old Santa Fe Locomotive engine into the first successful oil burning train in the U.S.

1896 Union oil opens a new refinery on San Francisco Bay, the santa Paula plant is destroyed by fire.

1898: The first Geological department in the U.S. is set up by the Union Oil Company and discovers many of Californias oil fields including the first fossils from the famous La Brea tar pits.

1900: William Orcutt, a young Union Geologists, organizes the first petro geology dept. in the West.

1901: Union moves its headquarters to Los Angeles.

1903: Union launches the Whittier, a steel hulled, steam poweredoil tanker that serves as the prototype for tankers over the next 60 years.

1905:Field operations ManagerFrank Hill and his associates complete the first successful well-cementing job at Unions Hill #4 near Lompoc.

1910: The year of the Big Gusher…Union Crew brings in the greatest gusher ever drilled that will produce 80,000 barrels of crude a day. Its name is Lakeview #1 near Bakersfield CA. Went on to spew 9 million barrels in 18 months.

1913 Union recognizes the Dawning of the Horseless Carriage and opens arguably the first Service Station on the Pacific Coast at 6th and Mateo in Los Angeles. The oil industry now refines more gas than Kerosene.

1917: Unions new LA refinery begins operation. Gearing up fro the American participation in World War 1. A new research facility is added in 1922.

1922: Union is threatened by Eastern interests who are quietly buying up all union stock. Loyal stockholders uncover this and save the Companys independence by uniting together and holding strong.

1923: Founder and Chairman Lyman Stewart dies at the age of 83. His Son Will, President since 1914 continues to direct Unions expansion.

1924: Union Oil Company is listed on the New York Stock exchange fro the first Time.

1925: Union introduces its first credit card, one of the many marketing innovations.

1926:An electrical storm ignites major fires at Unions San Luis Obispo and brea tank farms. The loss spurs education and training of fire prevention. The “New Super Fuel” Unions ethyl anti knock gasoline is introduced.

1930 Will Stewart dies at the age of 62. Press st Clair is appointed President to guide the Company through the great Depression.

1932: Engineers Formulate was would come to be a world recognized Gasoline…yipper ..you guessed it 76, The pioneer Non Premium anti knock gasoline in the West. 76 gasoline sales skyrocket amazingly as motorists discover its performance qualities. Its name invoking the Patriotic “Spirit of 76”

1934: Union engineers are at it again, the process for refining Triton Motor oil is discovered . This produces a 100% Pure parffin base Motor oil with low carbon forming qualities. Said to change “Ping to Purr” also in Kern County, a Union drilling crew sets a record fro the worlds deepest well …over 2 miles deep.

1938: Under new president Reese taylor, a 38 year old former Steel company exec, Union Begins to rebuild after the great depression.

1939: Union Establishes a Gulf division, which makes its first discovery at East White Lake in Louisiana. The division’s discoveries help fill the need for oil during WW2
1940: Union Oil Company celebrates its 50th year of service to the west Coast..owned and operated by west coasters for the west coast..its big blue and orange 76 sign is immediately recognized for top performance gasolines, quality oils and the best service the west coast has to offer.

1941-1945: Union Oil supports the war effort, boosting crude production to the highest levels in the Company’s History. Major refinery expansion increases the output of aviation gasoline sevenfold by the end of the war. Two Union tankers are lost…the Montebello to a Japanese sub of the California coast (all hands were rescued) and the Gurney E. Newlin to a German U Boat in the Atlantic losing all its crew but 3.

1951: A new research center opens in Brea as the Company prepares to meet the demands of a booming post war economy.

1952: Union establishes Brea chemicals Inc., to manufacture and market oil by-products. Brea later merges with another union subsidary to form the Collier Carbon and Chemical Company.

1954: A Major discovery at the East Lake Palourde field in Louisiana begins a new series of strikes fro Union in the Gulf region.

1955: Unions new santa Maria refinery, designed to handle heavy California crudes comes aboard.

1956: Union drills the first well in the Gulfs Vermilion block 26, six miles offshore Louisiana. It blows out earning the nickname “wild tiger”…but signals the discovery of one of the Gulfs most prolific gas fields.

1958: Union Employees move into the Company’s 7th headquarters since 1890…the modern 12 story Union Oil Center dominates the downtown Los Angeles skyline.

1959:Union discovers the first natural gas field in Alaska. It provides gas fro Anchorage 80 miles away.

1961: Union finds oil in Queensland, the first commercial oil discovery in Australia. Union expands its fertilizer business with the purchase o Pacific guano of California..later renamed puregro Company.

1962: Cy Rubel, President under Reese Taylor from 1956-1960 comes out of retirement to reassume the Post when Taylor dies.

1964: Fred L. Hartley becomes President and Chief exec Officer. At the Los Angeles refinery, the Company starts up the first Unicracker, utilizing Unions revolutionary technology to produce nearly 5 barrels of high grade fuels from four barrels of feedstock.

1965: MERGER WITH THE PURE OIL COMPANY makes Union the ninth largest oil company in the United States.

1966: Union discovers oil in Alaska’s Cook inlet, becoming the States biggest oil producer until the North slope is developed.

1967: Union geothermal Divisionis formed to operate holdings at the geysers in Northern california. Union becomes the worlds largest producer of Geothermal power.

1969: union operated platform A..blows out in the Santa Barbera Channel, spilling thousands of Barrels of crude oil. The Company launches a massive clean up effort, the coastal enviroment recovers quickly.

1970: Union discovers oil in Indonesia, offshore east Kalimantan. Tha attaka field, developed under a landmark production sharing agreement, turns out to be one of the worlds largest oil fields. The Company dedicates the new 140,000 barrel per day Chicago refinery with innovative pollution control systems.

1971: Union Scientists announce the development of “popcorn” sulfer, made from hydrogen sulfide gas, normally a waste by product of refining. The product makes soils better able to absorb moisture and nutrients.

1972: The Tiwi geothermal field is discovered in the Philippines. Steam from Union geothermal operations will eventually generate 30 percent of the electricity for the island of Luzon, which includes the Capital City of Manila.

1973:Union codevelops the beavonsulfer removal process to recover 99.9 percent of the sulfer from refinery emissions and reduce air pollution.

1977 Union acquires Molycorp, inc., a major producer of Molybdenum and niobium, as well as lanthanides used in numerous high technology applications.

1978: Union signs the first gas sales contract with Thialand. Opening up a new industry in that Country. Production from the giant Erawan gas field and others eventually provides more than 50 percent of Thialands electric power.

1979: Unions research department becomes the Science $ Technology Division.

1982: Union following its success with platform Heather in the UK sector of the north Sea, begins production from the helm and Helder fields, recovering the first oil from offshore the Netherlands.

1983: Unocal Corporation, formed in Delaware, becomes unions Parent company.

1985:After a heated battle, Unocal defeats a hostile takeover attempt led by Mesa Petroleum.

1988: Stegemeier, elected chief executive officer, accelerates major restructuring prompted by increased debt from failed takeover attempt and crude oil price collapse of 1986.

1989 At california’s Salton Sea, Unocal becomes a commercial supplier of electric power with the openning of a 49,900 kilowatt generating plant, driven by steam from the company’s geothermal wells.

1990; Unocal celebrates its 100th year in business.

------------------

[This message has been edited by djhubba (edited 07-28-2004).]
Posted By: djhubba Re: COTM JULY: UNION OIL COMPANY - Thu Jul 29 2004 02:56 PM
Check out this cool Union clock (fantasy but Neat)

nice big sign.

------------------
Posted By: DuceCpe Re: COTM JULY: UNION OIL COMPANY - Thu Jul 29 2004 03:39 PM
Hubba: I want to commend you for the great job you have done on Union Oil.. I learned a hell of lot!! You must have spent hours doing research.. But when it is a labor of love it must be easy. Thanks also to everybody that submitted pictures.. They are great. I can't get anough of this site.
Ric
Posted By: djhubba Re: COTM JULY: UNION OIL COMPANY - Thu Jul 29 2004 03:41 PM
Thanks Ric...you are right my friend...lot of work but a labor of Love...I really do love this stuff :-)

------------------

[This message has been edited by djhubba (edited 07-29-2004).]
Posted By: Scott Shipers Re: COTM JULY: UNION OIL COMPANY - Fri Jul 30 2004 01:08 AM
Excellent job Hubba.....major props to Tom Stover and his collection and others who contributed to this thread as well. A++++

------------------
Scott Shipers
Kansas City, Misssouri
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: COTM JULY: UNION OIL COMPANY - Fri Jul 30 2004 12:06 PM
Before the LAKEVIEW gusher was capped. It was estimated that it would have filled a string of railroad tank cars from Los Angeles to San Bernardino [a distance of approx. 63 MILES].
Posted By: djhubba Re: COTM JULY: UNION OIL COMPANY - Fri Jul 30 2004 02:44 PM
Thanks for posting that tidbit Dick..have a great time in Iowa. Here one of Toms cool clocks.

and some more signage.

------------------
Posted By: djhubba Re: COTM JULY: UNION OIL COMPANY - Fri Jul 30 2004 02:54 PM
Tomorrow is the last day for this thread....I want to thank everyone for looking and helping me with it (especially Tom). i have learned alot about Union doing research for this COTM. I have to work a double shift tomorrow so this is the last post I will do here. If anyone wants to post tidbits, stories, or pics ...jump right in today or tomorrow as Sunday will be a new Company. Again thanks everyone..have a great weekend. I leave you with one of my favorites from Toms collection..I really dig this sign...its shape and the fact that it says "Speed and Power" is too cool.

------------------
Posted By: GASMAPS Re: COTM JULY: UNION OIL COMPANY - Tue Apr 04 2006 11:55 AM
UNION OIL road maps can be seen on MOTM #16 MARCH 2006
The link is..
http://www.oldgas.com/shoptalk/ubb/Forum4/HTML/001418.html
Robert
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk