Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Pegasus COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Tue Mar 01 2005 03:42 PM
The “Company of the Month” for March, 2005 is Mobil. I worked at Mobil for 21 years, and most of the historical information I’ll present comes from several pamphlets issued by the company in the late 1980’s and early 1990’s…..and another entitled “The Story of Hiram B. Everest” issued by Vacuum Oil Company in 1930. If you see errors or omissions, please feel free to post corrections or additional information…..this is all about gathering and exchanging knowledge about this hobby we all love.

The two main predecessor companies of Mobil were Vacuum Oil Company and Standard of Company of New York (Socony). Both companies were formed in the state of New York and operated essentially as competitors until they merged in 1931 to form Socony-Vacuum Oil Company. I say “essentially as competitors” because for a number of years they were both part of The Standard Oil Trust, but were operated independently.

The oldest of the two, Vacuum Oil Company, got it’s start in Rochester, New York in 1866. At the time, before the invention of Edison’s light bulb, kerosene was the country’s best source of light. Matthew Ewing, a local carpenter, developed a method of distilling crude oil under a vacuum, and convinced Hiram Everest, a local grocery store owner, to invest $20 to help test his idea. Everest’s track record for investing in successful business ventures wasn’t good….he’d previously started two tree farms that were destroyed by frost, and the sawmill he built burned to the ground twice! Nonetheless, with Everest’s money they purchased a kitchen stove, a washboiler, assorted fittings, and some crude oil and constructed a makeshift still in Ewing’s backyard. Ewing thought his vacuum method of distilling would result in the entire volume of crude oil being changed into kerosene, which would have been a big improvement over other refining methods in use at the time. WRONG!! The method turned out to be no more efficient at making kerosene than any other. However, it did create a residue at the bottom of the still that turned out to be a superior product for lubricating machinery and currying leather. On September 11, 1866 a patent application was submitted for this vacuum process of creating lubricants, and the Vacuum Oil Company was incorporated in Rochester on October 4, 1866.

What amazes me is that most people experienced in the lubrication of modern industrial machinery and equipment agree that Mobil STILL makes the best lubrication products available, almost 140 years later!!
Maintaining a competitive advantage for that long is truly a rare occurrence. As an example, Gargoyle 600-W Steam Cylinder Oil, which was patented in 1869, is still in demand today.

The formation of Socony isn’t quite as interesting as that of Vacuum Oil. When John D. Rockefeller formed his Standard Oil Trust in 1882, the headquarters were moved from Cleveland to New York City and Socony was created to serve as the administrative arm of the trust. It also refined and marketed products in the New York – New England area.

Following is a diagram I created depicting the time-lines and the various major component companies that ended up being part of the Mobil Oil Corporation. I use it as a reference when trying to date various items in my collection.

There’s more history to follow later, but for now it’s your turn. Mobil has had marketing operations in all the lower 48 states, so I’d guess that just about everyone’s had at least one Mobil item in their collection at one time or another. So show us what you’ve got !!! This is one of my favorites…….the earliest Pegasus image, first used by Vacuum Oil Co. South Africa in 1911.

If you need help posting an image, send it to me in an email and I’ll post it for you (click the email icon on the first line of this post).

[This message has been edited by pegasus (edited 03-01-2005).]

[This message has been edited by pegasus (edited 03-01-2005).]
Posted By: Pegasus Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Tue Mar 01 2005 04:02 PM
OOPS.....looks like that email icon isn't up there where I thought it would be. My email address is: pegasusdude@yahoo.com

------------------
Richard Weir
"Pegasus"
Hillsboro, Ohio
Posted By: Kysoilman Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Tue Mar 01 2005 04:52 PM
Guys were in for a treat Richard has a great Mobil collection and is one of the most knowledgeable Mobil historians.
Thanks for takeing on the task.
REX LIKES MOBIL
Another South Africa sign.

Here are some pictures of some Mobil stuff I photographed at some of the shows last year.
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5dd20b3127cce90d71686decb00000016108CctmTRy2aS[/img]
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5dd20b3127cce90d71616de5b00000016108CctmTRy2aS[/img]
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5dd20b3127cce90d7176f1f8a00000016108CctmTRy2aS[/img]
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5dd20b3127cce90d717271fc200000016108CctmTRy2aS[/img]
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5dd20b3127cce90d717849e5100000016108CctmTRy2aS[/img]
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5dd20b3127cce90d714685f1400000016108CctmTRy2aS[/img]

------------------
Scott Shipers
WANTED: Imperial Refineries Items
Kansas City, Missouri 64151
Posted By: Pegasus Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Wed Mar 02 2005 08:16 PM
Here's a couple of different Cycle Burning Oil cans from Vacuum Oil in England. They were for oil burning lamps used on motor vehicles, before the use of electric lights. I figure they date from 1900-1910 and are probably my oldest cans.

I've shown you mine....now you show me yours!!

------------------
Richard Weir
"Pegasus"
Hillsboro, Ohio
Hope this stuff isn't too new for this post. This is my Mobil shrine. Oldest Gargoyle can is on the shelf in the middle of the cans. Little mix of the old and the newer.

Here's a local newspaper ad from 1956

This is a pump I did a couple years ago. I found the porcelain top while hunting in MN covering an old guy's tiller. 50 bucks later I had the top and he could buy a pail to replace it! I matched the color to the top and left it o riginal.
Posted By: Kysoilman Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Thu Mar 03 2005 01:26 AM
MAYBE THIS WILL HELP BRING SPRING ON.

MOBIL PRODUCTS WERE USED IN MANY FOREIGN COUNTRIES,TWO FOREIGN SIGNS.

GREAT STUFF GUYS KEEP IT COMEING........REX
Posted By: Pegasus Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Thu Mar 03 2005 03:25 AM
Scott: Great signs, especially like that diamond bottle sign....I want one just like it!!

Poor Man: No age limits here....anything with a red Pegasus or Gargoyle works for me!!

Todd: I don't have any pumps, but if I ever get one that's the one I want....nice size, simple lines, great look.

Rex: Keep 'em coming, buddy!!

------------------
Richard Weir
"Pegasus"
Hillsboro, Ohio
Posted By: Gary Drye Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Thu Mar 03 2005 09:51 AM
As great as all these items are, the Vacuum Cycle Burning Oil can just blows me away. What a great can Richard.
Posted By: Pegasus Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Thu Mar 03 2005 06:16 PM
The natural marketing area for both Vacuum and Socony in the early days was New York and the New England states. Both companies also looked overseas for expansion opportunities. Vacuum opened a sales office in London in 1885, and by 1900 had affiliates in France, Germany, Italy, Hungary, India, Singapore. Japan, Australia, New Zealand, and Cuba. Socony also built its’ foreign trade, particularly in Asia. They developed a foothold in China and it’s vast market for kerosene by using tall-masted, square-rigged sailing vessels called “kerosene clippers” to ship their products half way around the world. As a marketing tool, Socony developed and manufactured the equipment to use the fuel…..small lamps that burned kerosene efficiently, gave off a bright light, and sold for only a few cents. From 1906 these lamps were exported to China in vast quantities, becoming known as “Mei-Foo” lamps, from the Chinese symbols for Socony, meaning “beautiful confidence”.

This may sound like a fairly simple development, but apparently it was very significant in the growth of Socony. Every account I’ve read of the company’s history mentions the Mei-Foo lamps, and many include pictures or drawings of them. Several different sizes of the lamps were displayed at the corporate headquarters offices in New York and later in Virginia. The belt buckle I received as a 15-year employee service award depicts images of Hiram Everest, the founder of Vacuum Oil, and a Mei-Foo lamp. Using these oil lamps as a competitive advantage, Socony was able to develop profitable export markets in Asia, which in turn helped fund the company’s growth a few years later when it was “spun-off” from the Standard Oil Trust.

The lamps are fairly hard to find here in the U.S., although I would think there must be quite a few that survived in China. If you’re a serious Mobil collector you should probably look to add one of these oil lamps to your collection. Here’s a picture of a Mei Foo lamp, and a close-up of the three Chinese characters that gave it the name. Also pictured is a Socony porcelain sign…..the three Chinese characters directly under the “SO” are the same ones that appear on the lamps.

------------------
Richard Weir
"Pegasus"
Hillsboro, Ohio
One of my favorite pump plates from my collection. Ted If you want more I can post them. Let me know??? Thanks

------------------
Ted & Pam Roach
Lodi CA.
pca-west.org
vintage-logos
My one and only real deal Mobil pump plate. A West Coast Special.

Posted By: 5 quart Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Fri Mar 04 2005 02:16 AM
Heres a few of My Favorites will post more later- Round can is a qt- Square are seldom seel 1/2 gal- Old front facing gargoyle is about 1905?? says prepared for launches-

------------------
Wanted 5 quart cans
Posted By: Pegasus Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Fri Mar 04 2005 06:40 PM
Nice pump plates guys!! So why don't we just talk some more about pump plates?

One of the most widely known trademarks in the petroleum business has to be the five-pointed shield with the red Pegasus, like the one shown here…..

This image was used by Socony-Vacuum from the early 1930’s to the late 1950’s, when the company’s name was changed to Socony Mobil. The shield is essentially square (it’s as wide as it is tall) and is most often seen on porcelain signs and product containers. Strangely enough, I don’t think this shield was ever used on pump globes. The most commonly seen signs are pump plates……I don’t recall ever going to a swap meet, oil show, or petroliana auction where I didn’t see at least one of these signs offered for sale. They’re approximately 12 ½” x 12 ½” and come in four different “versions”, as shown below…….

The ones with solid blue borders have a manufacturer’s mark and date on the bottom right corner….in this case “I.R. 46”. The 46 means 1946, and the I.R. refers to the manufacturer Ingram-Richardson (thanks to Claes - Fast 66 for providing this name). These pump plates are the earlier version (dated in the 1940’s up to 1953) and were used mostly in the eastern U.S.

The ones with the thin white and blue border have a manufacturer’s mark and date on the bottom center….in this case “I.R. 54”. These are a later version by the same manufacturer (Ingram-Richardson) and are dated 1954 and later.

------------------
Richard Weir
"Pegasus"
Hillsboro, Ohio

[This message has been edited by pegasus (edited 03-06-2005).]

[This message has been edited by pegasus (edited 03-24-2005).]
Posted By: Pegasus Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Fri Mar 04 2005 06:42 PM

The ones with the fat white border and thin blue line aren’t dated but do have a manufacturer’s mark at the bottom center….in this case “McMath-Axilrod, Dallas”. This mark is sometimes abbreviated to “Mc-AX”. Other pump plates of this same design are marked “Texlite” or “Texlite-Dallas”. These signs were used mostly in the southwestern states, the old marketing territory of Magnolia Petroleum.

The ones with the black border don’t have a manufacturer’s mark or date, but some have the word “gasoline” at the bottom. This style also includes the pump plate referred to as the “dropped-leg” version, the Mobilgas Special with the rear legs covered by the “A” in Mobilgas. These black-bordered signs were used on the west coast, in the old marketing territory of General Petroleum.

Like everything else in life, there aren’t many absolutes. You CAN find old original pump plates that aren’t as described above, like this white-border version with no manufacturer’s mark. However, if the sign is marked “Licensed by Mobil Oil” you can be 100% certain it’s a reproduction!!!

Here’s a look at my “shield wall”……there are a lot of different ones to collect, and quite a few others not shown here that I’d like to add to the collection.

That's it for this installment.....I'm off to Peotone. More to come on Monday. Feel free to overload the system with pictures over the weekend!!!

------------------
Richard Weir
"Pegasus"
Hillsboro, Ohio
RICHARD...WHAT AN AMAZING JAW DROPPING PICTURE THAT WALL OF YOURS IS! WOW THANKS FOR SHARING THAT! MY DROOL BUCKET RUNNETH OVER!

HOPE YOU FIND THE MISSING LINK FOR THAT SPOT IN THE LOWER RIGHT CORNER! MAN - THAT IS DEDICATION!

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGES
How about a Socony pump to go with this post.

Al Barrows (ranchpump) sent me this photo of a G&B curb pump taken at the transportation museum in Maine. Al and I agree that this is a great color scheme for this little curb pump.

Posted By: fast66 Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Sun Mar 06 2005 08:49 PM
Hello Richard, the I-R stands for Ingram-Richardson. I believe they changed from blue- to blue/white border in 1954.
rgds.
Claes
Posted By: Pegasus Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Mon Mar 07 2005 02:22 AM
Thanks Claes - Fast 66 for the data on Ingram-Richardson.....I went back and updated the original post to include this corrected information.

Richard
Posted By: Pegasus Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Tue Mar 08 2005 08:53 PM
The two most widely known Mobil trademarks are the red Pegasus and the Gargoyle. Both were first used by Vacuum Oil Company. Originally the Pegasus image was white rather than red, and was first used by Vacuum Oil South Africa in 1911. It was later colored red by the company affiliate in Japan. Below is a look at how Pegasus changed over the years…….

The Gargoyle image was more widely used by Vacuum Oil in the U.S. and Europe. The dictionary describes a gargoyle as “a spout in the form of a grotesque human or animal figure projecting from a roof gutter to throw rainwater clear of a building”. I’m not sure how that fits with a petroleum product used for lubrication…..but it does rhyme with “oil” and no one else was using it, so why not? Like the Pegasus, the first Gargoyle image was colored white rather than red. Here are pictures of two Gargoyle images that were used……if you know of others or have a Gargoyle progression like the one shown above for Pegasus, please share it with us!!

Richard
Posted By: Kysoilman Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Tue Mar 08 2005 10:12 PM
Richard great Mobil pump plates .......What a collection.The information is terrific and to think theres more.
Vacuum tin sign from Australia neat graphic of a visible pump.This sign was found tacked to a wall covering a hole 3 inches of the sign were cut off.
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Wed Mar 09 2005 03:27 AM
I'm really enjoying this very informative COTM. Can't wait for the next installment.
Bob
Posted By: Pegasus Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Wed Mar 09 2005 10:28 PM
It wasn’t just Pegasus and Gargoyle images, however. Mobil companies used a number of mythical and real “critter” images over the years. Wasn’t it that famous philosopher Winnie the Pooh who said “Lions, Tigers, and Bears, oh my”? Well Mobil’s been there, done that……as shown below:

(I think the Sphinx is a lion with a man’s face, right?)

------------------
Richard Weir
"Pegasus"
Hillsboro, Ohio
Posted By: Pegasus Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Wed Mar 09 2005 10:30 PM
Mobil companies also used elephants, eagles, roosters, and some sort of mythical bird….probably a phoenix…..as shown here:

Now don't be bashful.....if you know of other "critter" trademarks used by the Mobil family of companies, let's see 'em.....

------------------
Richard Weir
"Pegasus"
Hillsboro, Ohio
Posted By: Kysoilman Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Thu Mar 10 2005 03:49 AM
Here is my blunt nose critter......Can't seem to find the full feather critter guess he flew away...

Rumor has it the White Eagle flew off with the Gargoyle.......
Posted By: djhubba Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Thu Mar 10 2005 06:41 PM
I LOVE THIS COTM...I will post some pictures tonight of some of my Mobil stuff.

------------------
Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK and humble moderator
Posted By: Kysoilman Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Thu Mar 10 2005 11:16 PM
This is one of my favorite MOBIL signs its DSP both sides grade 9+/- the shelving is great.We think this sign was 1 of 3 different that were attached and toured the country introducing Mobil Oil Special.

The next photo shows more Mobil signs and well lookey here..... that full feather critter showed up.

Wadhams transitional sign.

Magnolia and nite watchman.

REX LIKES MOBIL

[This message has been edited by Kysoilman (edited 03-10-2005).]
Posted By: wads Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Thu Mar 10 2005 11:43 PM
Rex, beautiful collection and I'm sitting here with my mouth open. One favor please, can you remove the Wadhams stuff before you post these pics, I can't take any more (LOL).
Posted By: Pegasus Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Sat Mar 12 2005 03:55 AM
As mentioned previously, the most widely used Mobil shield had five points and was basically square (as wide as it is tall). That wasn’t always the case. Scroll back up to the last post by Kysoilman…..look closely at the second image…..specifically the large red “Mobilubrication sign at the top. It’s in the shape of a five-point shield, except it’s much wider than it is tall. Here’s a few more examples of the shield where the basic 5-point shield shape was used but the details and dimensions are somewhat different.

------------------
Richard Weir
"Pegasus"
Hillsboro, Ohio
Posted By: gasoildude Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Sun Mar 13 2005 12:59 AM
Very nice
Posted By: Kysoilman Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Sun Mar 13 2005 01:02 AM
THESE ARE GLOBES FROM COMPANIES THAT BECAME MOBIL THROUGH ACQUISITIONS.
WHITE STAR ETHYL 1926-1930.

WADHAMS OPE CHIMNEY TOP 1911.

WADHAMS LAMP POST GLOBE.

WADHAMS METRO TRANSITIONAL 1932-40 AND WHITE EAGLE 1932.

MAGNOLIA MAXIMUM MILEAGE 1926-34.

THANKS REX
Posted By: Kysoilman Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Sun Mar 13 2005 02:05 AM
MORE MOBIL GLOBES.
MOBIL MARINE WHITE 1930's ONLY ONE KNOWN. MOBILGAS IN GREEN 1932-33.

WADHAMS GIANT 1932-35 MOBILGAS AIRCRAFT 1935

MOBILOIL GARGOYLE 1920-35.

MOBILHEAT STOVE OIL 1955-62.

MOBIL OPE FRANCE 1930.

MOBILGAS PROGRESSIVE 1928-30.

THANKS REX
Posted By: Tokheim Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Sun Mar 13 2005 03:29 PM
THANKS RICHARD FOR THE GREAT INFO.. AND SUPREME STUFF FROM EVERYONE, LOVE THE SHIELD WALL!

I PULLED MOST ALL MOBIL TOGETHER FOR A GROUP PHOTO, ONLY THING RARE ABOUT THESE PIECES IS THAT I OWN THEM...AND NO I DON'T THINK THE PENN-DRAKE LUBESTER SIGN IS MOBIL, BUT IT SNUCK IN THERE.
THE CURB SIGN I DON'T OWN. (YET?)

HAVE A GREAT DAY!
Posted By: flyingausa Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Sun Mar 13 2005 03:51 PM
Here's a nice size shield approx 33"x32", try to beat Rex to the Punch, I'm sure he'll get to it, unless he already has and I didn't see itPaul
..................[url=http://img123.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img123&image=mvc006f4fb.jpg][img=http://img123thanks
------------------

[This message has been edited by flyingausa (edited 03-13-2005).]
Posted By: flyingausa Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Sun Mar 13 2005 03:55 PM
See I messed up again, just don't do this often enough, U guys have to much stuff!!....Never can have too much....LOL..Paul

------------------
Posted By: djhubba Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Sun Mar 13 2005 06:36 PM
Some mobil items from my collection. Here is an old cloth flag

Here are some signs..restroom pledge, Rare SST touring sign 15" by 12" and a west coast drop leg pump plate.

SSP truck sign

A cardboard radiator winter front

An Australian oil can and something I got in Peotone Battery hold down with box.

------------------
Posted By: big cheese Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Sun Mar 13 2005 06:43 PM
super just super, enjoying this cotm. thanks guys. cheese
Posted By: flyingausa Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Sun Mar 13 2005 10:36 PM
Here's the sign Paul (Flyingausa) was trying to share with us. Cool sign....it's one I don't think I've ever seen before.......

Richard

[This message has been edited by pegasus (edited 03-13-2005).]
Posted By: flyingausa Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Sun Mar 13 2005 11:47 PM
Thanks Richard!! wanted to beat Rex to the punch!! Its foreign from Beligum, don't think any in the US said service and not this size........Paul

Still waiting for associated and flyinga stuff for my collection...lol

------------------
Posted By: djhubba Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Sun Mar 13 2005 11:48 PM
Here is a european SSP Gargoyle "pillow" sign i have.

------------------
Posted By: Kysoilman Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Mon Mar 14 2005 03:56 AM
Great sign Paul you did good I like signs and Globes that are different they call me.......Hey Rex buy me I am different OK .....How Much?
Nice stuff guys thanks for the post.
REX IS DIFFERENT
Posted By: flyingausa Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Mon Mar 14 2005 11:18 PM
Rex, love the signs that are different, My Best Friend use to tell me, the common are common any good collection has to have some that are not run of the mill (No offense to anyone)to make it stand out. Took awhile before it sunk in, thanks GD, sure do miss you at breakfast sunday...Paul

------------------
Posted By: Kysoilman Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Mon Mar 14 2005 11:41 PM
MORE MOBIL GLOBES FROM MY COLLECTION.
FOUR CAPCO GLOBES:MOBILGAS 1936 OTHER THREE 1962-66 .THE MOBILOIL PORCELAIN SHIELD HAS A RAISED EDGE ONLY ONE I HAVE SEEN.

MOBILGAS ETHYL 1934-36

MOBILGAS ETHTL 161/2 NOS LENSES.

MOBIL PEGASUS NOTICE ITS FLYING TO THE RIGHT FROM EUROPE AND MOUNTED ON THE ONLY BLACK PORCELAIN BODY I HAVE SEEN.

MOBIL OPB FROM ENGLAND 1966.

MOBIL GLOBES.

THANKS REX

[This message has been edited by Kysoilman (edited 03-14-2005).]
Great stuff guys WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5dd20b3127cce90d7164cde0100000016108CctmTRy2aS[/img]
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5dd20b3127cce90d717571fb200000016108CctmTRy2aS[/img]
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5dd35b3127cce90fb009faca500000016108CctmTRy2aS[/img]
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5dd20b3127cce90d7145fde1300000016108CctmTRy2aS[/img]

------------------
Scott Shipers
Posted By: Pegasus Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Tue Mar 15 2005 04:08 AM
Here's a great looking globe from Flyingausa......

Thanks Paul.....I sure wish I had one just like it!!

Richard
Posted By: flyingausa Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Tue Mar 15 2005 10:09 PM
Sorry, Rex, its just a Plain Marine!!! Thanks You Richard for the kind words and posting it..........Paul

------------------
Posted By: Kysoilman Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Tue Mar 15 2005 10:30 PM
LOVE THAT MOBIL THANKS SCOTT AND PAUL.
MORE MOBIL GLOBES FROM MY COLLECTION.
MOBIL STANDARD KEROSENE 1934-40.

OVAL CLIPPER 1940's. EXCUSE THE TOWER

SOCONY 1926-34

SOCONY 1926-34

METRO NICE COLOR MIX 1940-55

THANKS REX
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Wed Mar 16 2005 12:46 AM
It doesn't get any better than this!

Thanks to Aumann Auctions for the picture.
Posted By: djhubba Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Wed Mar 16 2005 02:23 AM
some lils I got in Peotone.

bank and tape..Thanks Rex

------------------
Posted By: Kysoilman Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Wed Mar 16 2005 03:22 AM
PAUL I HEARD A MOBIL COLLECTOR TRADED A MOBIL MARINE LENS FOR A NON MOBIL ITEM NOT SURE WHO DID THAT BUT HIS INITIALS ARE D.F.,,,,,,,,AKA HUBBA........
REX LIKES MOBIL
Posted By: Pegasus Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Wed Mar 16 2005 09:35 PM
Once again.......thanks to all for the GREAT pictures!!! It's cool to see all the stuff that's out there and not yet part of my collection. Gets/keeps the collecting juices flowing..........

Speaking of GREAT globes I'd like to have in my collection......scroll back up and take another look at the Clipper globe posted by Rex.....it's a perfect lead-in for the next part of this story.......

Richard
Posted By: Pegasus Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Wed Mar 16 2005 09:41 PM
Clipper Gasoline is a brand often associated with Mobil Oil. Their globes and signs are some of the most prized (and highest priced) in the hobby. These pictures show why.

I believe the company was west coast based, possibly in or near Seattle. However, I’ve never seen documentation or heard exactly what the company name was or how it became part of Mobil. The name isn’t mentioned in any histories I’ve read…….which doesn’t necessarily mean anything. For example, it could have become part of General Petroleum or Gilmore Oil before those companies were acquired by Socony-Vacuum. I know we have lots of “left coasters” here on OldGas, so come on guys…..give us the “scoop” on Clipper Gasoline and let’s all learn something!!!

(Of course, if you know the answer and aren't a left coaster, it's still OK to share......)

------------------
Richard Weir
"Pegasus"
Hillsboro, Ohio
Posted By: flyingausa Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Wed Mar 16 2005 10:47 PM
Rex, I wouldn't say Non Mobil, its Mobil now. Think the DJ outsmarted me on that one, For Sure, Nice washer cabinet, I had a NOS decal I put on mine....Still just a Plain Marine!!.........pf

------------------
Posted By: flyingausa Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Thu Mar 17 2005 12:59 AM
http://img145.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img145&image=mvc002f2bo.jpg

------------------
Posted By: flyingausa Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Thu Mar 17 2005 01:02 AM
well its big, but at least I got it posted, as you all know its French, but a nice flange sign

------------------
Posted By: flyingausa Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Thu Mar 17 2005 01:08 AM
http://img47.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img47&image=mvc001f8qq.jpg
Posted By: flyingausa Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Thu Mar 17 2005 01:11 AM
Pretty sure Rex doesn't have this one.......lol........pf

------------------
Posted By: Kysoilman Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Thu Mar 17 2005 01:23 AM
BELOW IS A EMAIL I RECEIVED FROM A PORTLAND OIL DISTRIBUTOR REGARDING CLIPPER OIL.THE PUMP AND CLIPPER SIGN IS HIS.
.......................................................................................
Clipper was a west coast independent that had terminaling facilities here in Portland. One of the doors in the terminal where e store product still has the Clipper name on it.
I'm not aware of a link between Mobil and Clipper but I take it Mobil could have been its demise as so many independents fell under the economic incapacity to compete against the majors.
CLIPPER SIGN AND RESTORED PUMP,

WHAT DO YOU GUYS KNOW ABOUT CLIPPER????
Posted By: al8apex Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Thu Mar 17 2005 06:31 PM
not Clipper but another Mobil item I found last year:

------------------
Posted By: al8apex Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Thu Mar 17 2005 07:34 PM
obligatory Moblil sign posting, follows above

------------------
Posted By: Pegasus Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Sat Mar 19 2005 07:37 PM
I think it was my dear old Dad (may God rest his soul) who used to say…..”Oil cans are sorta like women, they come in all shapes and sizes, and in their own way they’re all beautiful!!” The can designers at Mobil must have felt the same way, as demonstrated here………..

So check my logic here…….if Dad was correct, then it would be accurate to say that MOBIL LOVES WOMEN!!

RICHARD LOVES WOMEN’S CANS

(Correction: above line should read........
RICHARD LOVES WOMEN AND CANS)

[This message has been edited by pegasus (edited 03-19-2005).]
Posted By: Gary Drye Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Sat Mar 19 2005 10:37 PM
A couple of Aviation products.

Posted By: Kysoilman Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Tue Mar 22 2005 04:20 AM
GREAT SELECTION OF MOBIL CANS RICHARD KOOL,NEAT SIGNS GARY.
MOBIL OIL RACKS AND CANS FROM MY COLLECTION.

MOBIL OUTBOARD STUFF.

MOBIL CONE CANS,NOS FULL MARINE GALLON.

MOBIL OIL CABINETS.

THANKS REX
COME ON GUYS LETS SEE YOUR MOBIL STUFF.
Posted By: Pegasus Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Tue Mar 22 2005 04:46 PM
As mentioned earlier, in 1930 Vacuum Oil published a pamphlet entitled “The Story of Hiram B. Everest”, who was the company’s founder. It basically details Everest’s life before, during, and after his involvement with Vacuum Oil Company, and includes lots of interesting facts about the company’s early years. Included are interviews with several men who worked for Vacuum in the very beginning. Since Vacuum was started in 1867, that would mean they were at least 75+ years old when interviewed in 1929-30. One part I found especially interesting was from an interview with a Mr. John Schaffer. He lived near the site of the original Vacuum Oil refinery in Rochester, New York, and John’s father was employed there during the original construction in 1867. John and his brother Frank were also employed shortly thereafter to fill cans with harness oil. According to Mr. Schaffer “the first cans used for putting up harness oil were oyster cans obtained from several local restaurants in town. They were square cans with a small hole in the top through which the oysters were inserted one at a time. They were excellent containers for oil as they were well made with soldered seams.” The pamphlet states that “so far as is known not one of these oyster cans which became oil cans is now in existence.” Based on other information in this document, my best guess is these cans were used from late 1867 to about 1869, when demand for the oil made it necessary for Vacuum to construct their own cans.

Shown below is a drawing of the first company-made cans dating from about 1870, which were described as “the new style screw top cans. Artistically painted and varnished. Labeled with the finest steel blue paper. Printed in rich gold color. The gayest looking, the fastest selling, the finest shelf good on the market. Every can is sold with a money back guarantee.”

I found the following image online……it was described as “a square oyster can dating from the Civil War era (1860’s)”.

Looks a lot like the cans John Schaffer described, don’t you think? Based on the above, it seems to me that Vacuum Oil Company itself has challenged the present-day collecting community. They stated back in 1930 that “not one of these oyster cans which became oil cans is now in existence.” But cans very similar are still out there and available……the one pictured above was on eBay! So come on guys, lets accept that 75 year old challenge and find one of those very first, really rare Vacuum Oil cans……..then be sure to offer it to me!!!

------------------
Richard Weir
"Pegasus"
Hillsboro, Ohio

[This message has been edited by pegasus (edited 03-22-2005).]
Posted By: flyingausa Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Tue Mar 22 2005 10:35 PM
http://img45.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img45&image=mvc003f4xf.jpg

------------------
Posted By: Thunder Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Wed Mar 23 2005 12:55 AM
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOD STUFF!!!!! way cool. What a great job on the history of Mobil.

------------------
If you love your freedom, thank a vet. If you love anything else, thank a trucker!
Posted By: Kysoilman Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Wed Mar 23 2005 01:19 AM
Great Information Richard thanks for the Vacuum history lesson.Oyster cans to plastic,Harness oil to Mobil 1 what a story.
I ALWAYS WANTED TO KNOW WHEN VACUUM FIRST USED THIS GARGOYLE RACK,FOUND THIS PHOTO IN A 1918 VACUUM OIL COMPANY BOOK.THERE ARE OIL CHARTS IN THE BOOK DATED 1914.NOTICE ALL THE PLACES VACUUM PLACED THE OIL RACKS AND THE SIGN IN THE RITE CORNER.

THIS GARGOYLE RACK IS MINE AND A OLDGAS GUY HAS ONE FOR SALE ON EBAY #7143619700.

THIS IS A PRICE SIGN CLOSE TO THE ONE IN THE AD ITS THE ONLY ONE I HAVE SEEN,ANYBODY SEEN ONE?

ONE OF MY FAVORITE SIGNS 3X6 FEET GREAT GRAPHIC OF A VACUUM CAN.

THANKS REX
Here are a couple of DoDo's Mobil pieces, I'll let him fill in the details.

Good Luck on the Hunt

Lance / The Pogo Man
Posted By: dodogas Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Wed Mar 23 2005 04:40 PM
The pin I picked up at a bike swap, has a safety pin type fastener on the back. Anyone know the age of it, the red on the horse is transluscent with horzontal lines behind.

The lubechart is from a Imperial station in Nakusp BC, I got quite a few 20's, Imperial newsletters with that.

Should be another pic of a Pegasus tag topper and a paperclip. The tagtopper has a rivet in the body of the horse, anyone seen that type??
Posted By: djhubba Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Wed Mar 23 2005 05:05 PM
Northern Frank..That hat pin is aweswome...drool drool drool.

------------------
Posted By: Pegasus Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Thu Mar 24 2005 10:37 PM
In 1933 Socony-Vacuum and Standard Oil of New Jersey (Exxon) merged their Far East facilities and interests into one firm…..Standard-Vacuum Oil Company…..with each parent owning 50 percent. The operations of “Stanvac” soon spanned an area stretching from the east coast of Africa to New Zealand, and it eventually included 50 different countries. Stanvac did business until 1962, when the assets were split between the two owning companies. Here’s three signs that were used by Standard-Vacuum…..two include the elephant image that both Socony and Jersey Standard had used, and the other with the Pegasus/shield image from Socony-Vacuum.

Back then it was Standard-Vacuum…..….now it’s ExxonMobil. So I ask you…….is this déjà vu all over again or what? I guess not really…….but it does seem a bit like marrying your sister….AGAIN!!

------------------
Richard Weir
"Pegasus"
Hillsboro, Ohio
Posted By: Kysoilman Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Fri Mar 25 2005 05:06 AM
Standard Vacuum never thought of it that way thanks for the history Richard.Nice stuff lets see MORE.
THIS MOBIL SCOREBOARD CAME FROM THE FORD MUSEUM THEY HAD THREE AND LET TWO GO ITS IN NOS CONDITION AND FRAMED ALL THREE SIGNS ARE METAL EMBOSSED.

SUM FLANGE SIGNS,OF INTEREST IS THE SMALL FLANGE CALLED THE POSTAGE STAMP AND THE YELLOW FLANGE IS ALSO HTF.

STAROLINE IS WHITESTAR,2 SOCONY SIGNS AND A MOBILHEAT LITE-UP.

THE SOCONY IS DATED 1931.

THE MARINE SERVICE WAS IN THE GPM COFFEE SHOP BEAUTIFUL SIGN.

THANKS REX
Posted By: Pegasus Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Fri Mar 25 2005 09:49 PM
If there's any question in your mind who MY collecting hero is, you haven't been looking closely at all these pictures and who's been posting them!! I've been there in person, and I'm still seeing things I missed! Hiram B. Everest would be proud, REX, without a doubt!!

Richard
Posted By: wads Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Sat Mar 26 2005 10:59 PM
As Rich showed on the first page Wadhams was bought out by Mobil in 1930. The Wadhams name was phased out over a period of years and I believe the final Wadhams Division was closed in 1953.

Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Sun Mar 27 2005 02:40 AM
After seeing all this cool Mobil stuff, and now this cool Wadhams stuff I feel like digging a hole and burying my junk.....well, almost
Great stuff guys! Lets see some more!
Great info so far Richard. Very informative and enjoyable COTM.
Posted By: Pegasus Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Sun Mar 27 2005 03:23 AM
WADS....thanks for the great pictures......I just love that Wadhams stuff. Got some things, but not nearly enough!!

Speaking of CANS (we were speaking of cans, weren't we?).....here's a few from my shelves.........

------------------
Richard Weir
"Pegasus"
Hillsboro, Ohio

[This message has been edited by pegasus (edited 03-26-2005).]
Posted By: Pegasus Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Sun Mar 27 2005 03:32 AM
Some more cans..........

------------------
Richard Weir
"Pegasus"
Hillsboro, Ohio
Posted By: Gary Drye Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Sun Mar 27 2005 11:20 AM
Richard, a "few" cans??? I am thoroughly impressed to say the least. What a bunch of great items from everyone showing up this month.
Posted By: wads Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Sun Mar 27 2005 11:29 AM
Rich, first of all great job on Mobil.
Now the only thing left to be said to you and Rex is - AWESOME COLLECTION - WOW!!!!
Thanks for sharing with us.
I "Can't" get enough of those cans!

Here's a "big" can for hauling lots of oil or fuel. Check out the gloss on that paint job.

And a sign on an early Mobil station that I would love to ad to my collection some day.

That station is on Highway 101 trhough Buellton CA circa 1920's or 30's.
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Sun Mar 27 2005 02:14 PM

Pressed tin approx. 18 x 60

2 weathervane toppers, approx. 28 x 20
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Sun Mar 27 2005 02:30 PM

Both are 16 1/2" , SOCONY SPECIAL GASOLINE is milkglass w/ lettering on front [has orange peel texture on backside].
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Sun Mar 27 2005 05:25 PM
This can is currently on ebay

Posted By: Kysoilman Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Mon Mar 28 2005 01:23 AM
WOW RICHARD BREATH TAKEING.....ANYBODY WOULD BE HAPPY TO SAY LOOK AT THIS MOBIL OIL CAN I HAVE.........AND YOU HAVE A FEAST OF EM',TRULY OUTSTANDING. I KNOW HOW HARD IT IS TO FIND THEM,LET ALONE IN THIS CONDITION.
WADS THANKS,THATS THE MOST WADHAMS I HAVE SEEN IN ONE PLACE.THAT BARTLES IS HTF.
DICK I LIKE THAT SIGN DID NOT KNOW THEY WERE IN TIN....NEAT GLOBES.
POOR MAN THANKS FOR THE PICTURES I WILL FLIP YA FOR THE MOBIL SIGN.
REX LIKES MOBIL........MORE...MORE..MORE
Posted By: Kysoilman Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Mon Mar 28 2005 09:58 PM
TAVERN HOME PRODUCTS BY SOCONY VACUUM,THESE PRODUCT WERE SOLD IN HARDWARE,DEPARTMENT AND DRUG STORES.THE PETRO CHEMICALS WERE AVAILABLE TO FORMULATE MANY PRODUCTS.
NOTE~THE TWO WOODEN SIGNS THE HANGING SHIELD AND TAVERN SHOP.

MOBIL TIRE AND TUBE REPAIR KIT THE ONLY COMPLETE ONE I HAVE SEEN.HANGING TAVERN SIGN.

MOBIL TRUCK SIGN.

MOBIL TIRE DISPLAY.

MOBIL-FLAME SIGN.

THANKS REX
Posted By: Pegasus Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Mon Mar 28 2005 10:33 PM
More great "stuff" from Rex.....I LOVE that Tavern Home Products shield!!

Here's one you don't see often. It's a small can (6"x4"x3") from France with images of an old race car on both ends. It's the only one like I've seen.

------------------
Richard Weir
"Pegasus"
Hillsboro, Ohio
This is just an AWESOME thread guys........

------------------
Scott Shipers
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Mon Mar 28 2005 11:53 PM
Richard and Rex,
How long have you been collecting?

Glenn,
Isn't collecting Wadhams stuff like looking for a needle in a haystack? I don't recall seeing much Wadhams stuff at the shows.

Outstanding collections!!!

I can't wait for the next installment!
Posted By: wads Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Tue Mar 29 2005 01:19 AM
Bob, you're right, that Wadhams stuff is hard to find. And yep, it's like looking through two haystacks but I keep meeting so many great people. Each willing to share knowledge or keep an eye out for me. So, I've got the pitchfork and I'm going after them one at a time.
What a group, what a hobby.
Posted By: Kysoilman Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Tue Mar 29 2005 03:06 AM
BOB,I worked in the oil industry and was a Mobil Distributor for 16 years in Miami,Fl; I picked up very little in Miami always working.Nita would give a guy money to buy me oil stuff when he went to shows for gifts for my birthday or Christmas etc....here is a 1980 Christmas morning picture of my first Mobil and Atlantic globe that Nita gave me (ain't it great).

I only had a few Mobil items when we retired to Kentucky in 1997,thats when I started collecting as a hobby.
I have been blessed with a GREAT wife.
Thanks Rex
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Tue Mar 29 2005 03:09 AM
Who is that young looking guy?
Posted By: Pegasus Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Tue Mar 29 2005 03:27 AM
I was working for the Superior Oil Company in Houston, TX when they were acquired by Mobil in 1984. At the time I was into old cars, but at the Pate Swap Meet that year in Fort Worth I spotted a small cone-top can of Mobil touch-up paint and a tin toy Mobilgas tanker truck........and, well, you can probably figure out the rest. Sold the can a few years ago, but still have the truck.........

Richard
Posted By: Kysoilman Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Tue Mar 29 2005 04:42 AM
Richard you CAN sell another CAN that foreign French oil can belongs in Kentucky you know we have a Paris,Kentucky and the city is changing there name sooooo you better sell me that can.we like French stuff in Owenton,Ky.
REX LIKES RICHARDS STUFF
Posted By: Pegasus Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Tue Mar 29 2005 06:25 PM
As I mentioned earlier, the first Pegasus trademark / logo image was used by Vacuum Oil Company South Africa in 1911, and the flying horse was white rather than red. Following are pictures of an interesting paper item that features the white Pegasus. It’s a six-page “brochure” that contains sheet music for a song entitled “Pegasus – Pegasus, Every Time”. It’s written in both English and Afrikaans and measures 10” x 12”….so it’s slightly larger than my scanner bed. Shown here are the front and back covers…..

The inside front cover includes this image of a gasoline pump and a square Mobiloil “A” can…….

The can look familiar but not the pump…..it appears to have a clock face……maybe one of you pump guys can tell use something about it. The oval globe is what caught my eye………..I’d guess the letters are white on a red background. I WANT ONE…..I WANT ONE!!!!!

The song is kinda hokey, as you can see from these images…………

This document probably dates from between 1911 and about 1930. Notice the words between the red diamonds on the second image just above……..I’m guessing the meaning of “hooters” in 1920’s South Africa was slightly different than in the U.S. at the end-of-the-century……………but I could be wrong!!!

------------------
Richard Weir
"Pegasus"
Hillsboro, Ohio
Posted By: Pegasus Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Tue Mar 29 2005 06:27 PM
Speaking of globes.......I don't have too many, but here they are.......

[This message has been edited by pegasus (edited 03-29-2005).]
Posted By: 5 quart Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Tue Mar 29 2005 10:59 PM
Vacuum cabinet just about full- need some more Gallon cans- the 5qts dont really belong there

------------------
Wanted 5 quart cans
Posted By: Kysoilman Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Wed Mar 30 2005 01:52 AM
Richard I LOVE it the sheet music is so kool and the Globes outstanding.
Thanks for the work.
Don Most Mobil 5 quarts I have seen looken good.
REX LIKES MOBIL
Posted By: Pegasus Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Wed Mar 30 2005 05:14 PM
Only two more days on this wonderful adventure...........here's some more signs and globes.........

And three cans that just arrived today!!

------------------
Richard Weir
"Pegasus"
Hillsboro, Ohio
Posted By: Pegasus Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Wed Mar 30 2005 05:33 PM
I'm sure I heard someone out there say "what about Gargoyles?" Well we got soma dem too.............

------------------
Richard Weir
"Pegasus"
Hillsboro, Ohio
Posted By: 5 quart Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Thu Mar 31 2005 12:33 AM
Hi My find of the morning -at dawn at a flea market- the elusive 3 lb Mobil round cans that go in the round holes on top of old gargoyle cabinet- CC 5 lb and 5 lb Mobilubricant cans that I have never seen before- all Vacuum oil- all still full-

------------------
Wanted 5 quart cans

[This message has been edited by 5 quart (edited 03-30-2005).]
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Thu Mar 31 2005 01:40 AM
Richard,
Is that a Gargoyle sign globe on the book case?
Don,
What an amazing score!

Great job on COTM Richard and everyone that contributed. THANKS!
Posted By: Pegasus Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Thu Mar 31 2005 01:30 PM
Bob - that is in fact a porcelain globe that would have been displayed on a Gargoyle Oil cabinet.

Here's a couple of license plate toppers attached to old Nebraska plates that were submitteed by "danceswithpumps". Thanks Rod!!

------------------
Richard Weir
"Pegasus"
Hillsboro, Ohio
Posted By: nochevys Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Thu Mar 31 2005 06:24 PM
this has been a truly great cotm I've enjoyed it a lot.here's a sign I haven't seen in the pages which surprises me but better late than never I guess enjoy.

Hope ya'll enjoy have a wonderful COTM for april looking forward to it.I absolutely love this site everyone here is top notch keep up the excellent work.
Posted By: Gary Drye Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Thu Mar 31 2005 06:40 PM
Is Mobil popular or what!!!! As this topic is about to end and I will be leaving for work soon, I just wanted to thank Richard for such a great presentation. Two VERY AWESOME collections (and thank you Rex) were shared with the rest of us. The others that contributed only enhanced this month's COTM. A big "Thankyou" to all and once again, what a great month it was.
Posted By: Pegasus Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Thu Mar 31 2005 10:27 PM
So here’s the story, and I’m stickin’ to it!! I was sitting here a few days ago trying to decide what else to include in this COTM, so I took a few pictures……..including this one………….

Then it occurred to me that even with 25 or so pump plates in my collection (see page 2 of this posting), I don’t have the ones that would have been on the pumps with these 2 globes. That’s OK……I’ve always considered the Mobil Kerosene shield PP the most difficult one to find, so let’s ask the OldGassers to tell us (or better yet, show us) what pump plates would have been used with these 2 globes. I even contacted collector Glenn Zirkle and got him to send a picture of his Mobil Kerosene PP, which is shown below…..

In addition to someday (1) being able to afford one of Richard Amistadi’s high quality signs, and (2) having a collection like Rex’s……….one of my goals in life is to have a sign just like this one hanging on MY wall!!

Then I must have had a brain fart or somethin’………because I just realized I don’t even know what the Mobilgas Ethyl pump plate looks like!! The two globes appear to be from the same time period, but I’ve been told by an expert that’s not necessarily so. Help me out here guys and gals……..what pump plate would have been on a pump with this Mobilgas Ethyl globe??

Richard

[This message has been edited by pegasus (edited 03-31-2005).]
Posted By: Pegasus Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Thu Mar 31 2005 10:39 PM
I think it was some famous Chinese guy, or maybe Daffy Duck, who once said: "the difference between men and boys is the price of their toys". Well, I don't know if that's true or not, but I do know if I'm ever lucky enough to have a grandchild, he or she will probably have a ball playing with these.........

And that's THE END!!!

PS: Thanks to all for the great pictures and the kind words.

------------------
Richard Weir
"Pegasus"
Hillsboro, Ohio
This has just been an excellent thread. Thanks to Richard and Rex and the other oldgassers who contributed to make this and outstanding month. Thanks for your work guys.

------------------
Scott Shipers
Posted By: Tokheim Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Thu Mar 31 2005 11:28 PM
I am getting all misty here at the end of this one...sniff, sniff..that was a FINE DISPLAY guys, WTG!! I have flying horse envy.

Tokheim Likes Mobil
Posted By: DuceCpe Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Fri Apr 01 2005 12:20 AM
Pegasus: Wow what a great job you did this month.. Wish I had some Mobil stuff to share???? Everybody please keep it up...
Ric
Posted By: djhubba Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Fri Apr 01 2005 01:54 AM
OUTSTANDING..thanks to all who participated and especially Richard for all the hard work done to perfection...AWESOME JOB

------------------
WHAT CAN I SAY RICHARD? WOW! DOUBLE WOW! AWESOME COTM ON ONE OF MY FAVE COMPANY'S! THANKS SO MUCH FOR DOING THIS - I AM PERSONALLY HAPPY YOU DID IT WITH SUCH STYLE AND YOUR COLLECTION IS AWESOME! YOU ACTUALLY HAVE A FEW MORE DAYS SINCE THE NEXT COTM IS STARTING LATE! UP TO YOU! LOL!!

PAT YOURSELF ON THE BACK - OUTSTANDING REPORT!

THANKS, AGAIN!
>=<=>=<=>=<=>=<=>=<=>=<=>=<=>=<=>=<=>=<=>=<=>=<=>=<=>=<=>=<=>=<=
YOUR COTM CO-HOST!

[This message has been edited by THE AMERICAN GARAGE (edited 03-31-2005).]
Posted By: Pegasus Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Fri Apr 01 2005 05:02 PM
Since I know many of you are sorta like me.......short attention spans.......so we'll keep this one going until Don Beaver starts his COTM on Richfield in a couple of days.

Here's a few more cans that may be of interest....a mix of domestic and foreign ones in all shapes and sizes......

The two Hippo Oil cans at the bottom left aren't related to Mobil.....but they were products of the "James Weir Company Ltd" of Canada, so I just had to have 'em!!!

------------------
Richard Weir
"Pegasus"
Hillsboro, Ohio
Posted By: Jarvis Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Fri Apr 01 2005 09:13 PM
Top 2 pictures are shakers. The bottom 2 pictures are a lighter i bought from Richard. I bought that lighter and a Mobilgas Special globe from him. Thanks Richard and Rex for the great pictures and story.

[This message has been edited by Jarvis (edited 04-01-2005).]
Posted By: Pegasus Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Sun Apr 03 2005 09:09 PM
Some other brand names used by Vacuum Oil in foreign markets were Sphinx and Sunflower. Here's some signs showing those brands, which were used in Europe and North Africa. Also shown is an early Socony sign showing the Tiger brand that was inherited from The Standard Oil Trust....this brand was used various former SOT companies, but finally ended up with Exxon.

Here's several signs with the Plume brand name, which was used in Australia and New Zealand. Also shown is the Laural brand, used also in Australia-New Zealand and in South Africa.

And before someone asks....the die-cut Gargoyle sign is NOT an original.....it's a fantasy piece made about 10 years ago by Dave Mercer....I just couldn't resist!!!!

------------------
Richard Weir
"Pegasus"
Hillsboro, Ohio

[This message has been edited by pegasus (edited 04-03-2005).]
Posted By: Don Beaver Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Tue Apr 05 2005 02:59 AM
Thanks guys for keeping this going while I was at the Portland swap meet. We just got home late tonight and I will get started on Richfield company of the month in the am. The Mobil report Richard did will be hard to beat but I will give it my best shot
Thanks again
Don

[This message has been edited by gaspumpman (edited 04-04-2005).]
THANKS FOR CHECKING IN DON. LOOKING FORWARD TO YOUR COTM FOR RICHFIELD LATER ON! IT'S NOT ABOUT QUALITY OR QUANTITY - IT'S ABOUT GETTING~R~DONE!
I WILL HELP OUT WHENEVER POSSIBLE....RICHFIELD IS ONE OF MY OWN FAVES! ......CAN'T WAIT!

YOUR C.O.T.M. CO-HOST
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Sat Sep 15 2012 02:46 AM
BUMP for the new members
Posted By: rustynuts Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Sat Sep 15 2012 04:15 AM
Thanks for bumping this up Dick. Please keep doing this with other topics! I for one cant get enough info. Heres some of my Socony & Mobilgas stuff that I now have answers for. I tried posting the photos in order of the date...think I got them right. Sorry for the reposted Socony. All dug except the Mobilgas & with that I'd like say thanks to KZ1000 for a great trade & oldgas for helping make it happen.

Attached picture socony2.jpg
Attached picture socony1.jpg
Attached picture socony3.jpg
Attached picture McAX.jpg
Posted By: eshaver Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Sat Sep 15 2012 12:34 PM
I think Mobil has the largest accessory line out there . Ed Shaver
Posted By: Esse's Garage Re: COTM: Company of the Month for 03/05: Mobil - Mon Dec 17 2012 11:14 PM
BTT... For the Newer Membership. Some of the pictures have aged out but there is still a lot of great pictures. Enjoy!!! cool
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk