Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: coopwyo Erie 71 glass top - Thu Nov 05 2009 05:40 PM
I need the milk glass top for an Erie 71 pump. I know they are very rare, and expensive, but I will pay what it takes to get one. please contact me at coopwyo@yahoo.com Thanks!
Posted By: badgas Re: Erie 71 glass top - Thu Nov 05 2009 07:36 PM
x2!
Posted By: philmccauley Re: Erie 71 glass top - Fri Nov 06 2009 12:01 AM
I know where there is one. I tried to buy it 2 years ago and he wanted $2500, too rich for me. I can make a phone call and check availablity and price if you like.
Posted By: gasoildude Re: Erie 71 glass top - Fri Nov 06 2009 02:23 AM
$2500 eek eek
Posted By: mattthegasman Re: Erie 71 glass top - Sat Nov 07 2009 07:44 PM
What would one of these tops actually be worth ? Matt
Posted By: s932 Re: Erie 71 glass top - Sun Nov 08 2009 12:07 AM
I think and i could be wrong 1100 to 1400
Posted By: T-way Re: Erie 71 glass top - Sun Nov 08 2009 12:21 AM
$2,500.00 to $3,000.00 +

I figure I got mine on the low end of the range above (+ the cost of the unrestored pump it was on).

The last 'loose' one I saw sold for (I think) 3K.

Supply and demand!

Later . . .

Jim
Posted By: s932 Re: Erie 71 glass top - Sun Nov 08 2009 12:39 AM
I was a wee bit off lol. I thought their was one for sale last year at dixie gas for like 1200 again i could be wrong.
Posted By: petropumps Re: Erie 71 glass top - Sun Nov 08 2009 11:31 PM
I sold one a few months ago. Offered it at $2,000 for a while, and people certainly weren't "jumping all over it." Ended up selling for $1750 (through this site), and I felt good about it. Not a lot of people are going to pay 2K for a milkglass pump top. When it comes right down to it, there are a lot of big talkers, but the buyers in that price range are few and far between.
Posted By: coopwyo Re: Erie 71 glass top - Tue Nov 10 2009 02:58 PM
The people that are having me restore this pump want the glass top and are prepared to pay what it takes to get one. Here is the situation with this pump: I am an industrial arts teacher at a small rural high school in Burns, Wyoming (pop. 160). My classes have done a lot of restorations on various "old" things that the farm families around here have kept in their families. This gas pump was the only public gas pump between Kimball, Nebraska and Cheyenne, Wyoming. Anyway, the family that owned the pump donated it to the town of Burns and the town council decided to get it restored and have it displayed at the bank. The bank then asked me and my class to restore it. Numerous people around the area have donated money to finance the restoration. The family, town council, and others involved want it restored to original, and when I mean original, they want the glass top, they want it painted the same, etc. If you have, or know of a top for this pump, please let me know -- you would be making a lot of people very happy.
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: Erie 71 glass top - Tue Nov 10 2009 03:16 PM
...are there not enough people with 'topless' pumps that would pay $500 for a repro to make it worthwhile?...what's the pump worth without a top?

...even if it cost $10,000 to make 50 of them (including buying an original to 'reverse engineer' a mold/molds), 20 pre-sold repops would pay for the order...I'm just sayin', if the originals are bringing $1500-3000 each...
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Erie 71 glass top - Tue Nov 10 2009 04:05 PM
I wish I had one, I'd give it to you because what you need it for is all the right reasons! I'll be on the watch and I hope you have the good fortune to find one! Have faith, all good things come to those who wait!
Posted By: oilmanpat Re: Erie 71 glass top - Tue Nov 10 2009 09:08 PM
Does anyone have a broken one that there is still more that 1/2 of it left?
Posted By: s932 Re: Erie 71 glass top - Tue Nov 10 2009 10:40 PM
im not sure but i thought on was for sale at dixie gas last year. maybe bbq chicken can remember
Posted By: oilmanpat Re: Erie 71 glass top - Sun Nov 22 2009 11:28 PM
I got a price together on making plastic tops and I think it could be done for a lesser amount that stated above but,it still would be pricey.
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: Erie 71 glass top - Mon Nov 23 2009 12:39 AM
...I was thinking glass - I would hope plastic would be a LOT cheaper...I don't know what people would pay for a plastic top...
Posted By: coopwyo Re: Erie 71 glass top - Mon Nov 23 2009 12:51 AM
I'll bet there is a whole bunch of people out there that need tops for an Eire pump. Has anyone ever taken a tally? From this thread alone, it looks like at least 3 people need them.
Posted By: oilmanpat Re: Erie 71 glass top - Mon Nov 23 2009 01:24 AM
Unless I'm mistaken,a glass mold would be made of some kind of ceramic and would be a lot more expensive than your figure.
Posted By: philmccauley Re: Erie 71 glass top - Mon Nov 23 2009 02:03 AM
I need 2 of the tops.
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: Erie 71 glass top - Mon Nov 23 2009 03:04 AM
Originally Posted By: oilmanpat
Unless I'm mistaken,a glass mold would be made of some kind of ceramic and would be a lot more expensive than your figure.

...I'll admit I have no idea, I just threw that figure out there - if someone who does know could post an actual breakdown of costs, I, for one, would find it very informative...I would imagine a lot of people would...
Posted By: LOU-57 Re: Erie 71 glass top - Mon Nov 23 2009 01:17 PM
Does anybody have any idea what a metal top would bring ? I have a rough Erie with the metal top and was thinking of parting it out . Thanks Lou
Posted By: coopwyo Re: Erie 71 glass top - Mon Nov 23 2009 02:28 PM
I think Classicfix from England on this forum is looking for a metal top. Contact him and see what he'd pay.
Posted By: coopwyo Re: Erie 71 glass top - Fri Dec 04 2009 06:49 PM
Besides the glass top we also need the two little parts you see in the pictures. One is a door catch and the other is the rod that connects the little access door under the nozzle to the door latch system. We could probably make the little rod, but I'd rather have an original if possible. If you have either of these parts please let me know. We are still looking for the milk glass top for this pump -- please help!!! Thanks!

Attached picture erie 71 door catch.JPG
Attached picture erie 71 door rod.JPG
Posted By: Classicfix Re: Erie 71 glass top - Thu Dec 10 2009 06:44 PM
Hi

Yes I'm after a metal top and I believe there are others who need this part. If I am able to buy it I could have some copies made here.

e mail me direct at
greg@classicfix.co.uk

Thanks
Posted By: coopwyo Re: Erie 71 glass top - Wed Jan 13 2010 02:48 PM
If anyone going to the Columbia, Missouri, "It's a Gas!" show comes across a milk glass top for an Erie 71 pump, please let me know -- I'll pay top dollar. Thanks.
Chris
Posted By: coopwyo Re: Erie 71 glass top - Thu Jul 15 2010 09:00 PM
I thought I'd try this post again since it has been a while. If anyone has, knows of, heard of, imagined, etc. a milk glass top for our ERIE 71 pump, I'd sure like to try and aquire it. I figured with Iowa Gas coming up, maybe one might come out of the woodwork somewhere. School starts in about another month (yeesh!) and I would so love to surprise my class with a top.

The kids and I have "settled" for a Sinclair HC globe for the pump right now, but the town council would still really like to have the milk glass top that was originally on this pump.

Also, for me personally, if anyone has one of the ERIE script emblems off of an ERIE 843 pump laying around, I'd be interested in purchasing it.

Thanks again for all the advice, help, and well wishes on our pumpb project.
Chris
Posted By: manothebus Re: Erie 71 glass top - Sun Jun 17 2012 01:38 PM
Anyone still looking for one of these glass tops? I may be able to get one that I could sell for $1500 plus shipping. If interested pm me.
Posted By: dundign Re: Erie 71 glass top - Sun Jun 17 2012 01:41 PM
Pm sent
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Erie 71 glass top - Sun Jun 17 2012 01:44 PM
Check out the post above and get that sucker into the hands of that Wyoming shop class! They have put a lot of time into their pump restoration and they deserve a good glass top.
Send them a PM and get the ball rolling!
Posted By: Craig Osbeck Re: Erie 71 glass top - Sun Jun 17 2012 01:53 PM
Looks like Tom is back.
Posted By: hancock-oil Re: Erie 71 glass top - Sun Jun 17 2012 01:57 PM
I agree with Kevin that shop class and Town Needs that top they started this Topic in 09!! Jim
Posted By: manothebus Re: Erie 71 glass top - Sun Jun 17 2012 05:29 PM
Sorry to those who messaged me but the original poster got back first and the top is now sold. At least those kids will now be able to see they're project completed.
Posted By: coopwyo Re: Erie 71 glass top - Sun Jun 17 2012 05:38 PM
Thanks a million guys! Thanks for steering the seller our way -- it looks like after 4 years we may get this thing done and done right!

I can't thank Manothebus enough for selling us the top!

I'm going to keep the glass top top seceret until the big unveil and blow everyone away! They all know about the reproduction top that we got from Dwaine Buck and are expecting it to be on the completed pump. This is going to be awesome!

Thanks again -- what an amazing and unexpected surprise!
Chris
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: Erie 71 glass top - Sun Jun 17 2012 05:46 PM
I'm also glad that the Town and School got it.

I find it hard to believe that anyone else would even attempt to buy it from underneath the original poster. Some people have "NO CLASS".

I hope the only reason the other pm`s were sent, were offers to buy it and donate it to the Town and School.

© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk