Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Young's Union Need to take down a sign pole-- - Tue Mar 24 2015 01:27 PM
I finally made a deal on a sign pole like the one in the photo. Any tips on taking it down? I will be quite a ways from any good resources. Will a tractor with a bucket lower it down? I may be able to get a small tow truck with an extendable boom to help. Any idea on approximate weight? Thanks, Jim

Attached picture FullSizeRender.jpg
Posted By: Jason K Re: Need to take down a sign pole-- - Tue Mar 24 2015 03:34 PM
My dad used a tractor with a bucket to bring a Standard sign down. We put a strap on a hook that was on the bucket and wrapped it around the pole just below the actual sign. It came down nice but you will just have to watch out for it because of swinging.
Posted By: otisbagotis Re: Need to take down a sign pole-- - Tue Mar 24 2015 03:54 PM
the right dump trailer would work it did on putting up a pole sign!:)
Posted By: trifiver Re: Need to take down a sign pole-- - Tue Mar 24 2015 04:50 PM
I used a Tow Truck , worked really Good

Sid
Posted By: 47reo-travis Re: Need to take down a sign pole-- - Tue Mar 24 2015 05:34 PM
My 1960s Sinclair pole was mounted on 4 7/8 dia studs that were double nutted. The 3/4 mounting base plate of the pole base was 6" from the concrete. The owner said I could cut the mounting studs ,so I cut the two on the upper side and placed my trailer in the parking lot on the side of the ones not cut . I then hooked a heavy ratchet strap near the top of the pole part ,used a 6 ft pry bar under the base to start prying it and it laid over nice and slow into my trailer . Once it got the the 45deg point ,it really had some pressure but I just let the winch slowly lower it the rest of the way into my trailer. Not sure if that mobil post gives you that option but if so it worked like a charm. This last time I reset both my pole signs ,my neighbor has a well drilling service and we used a little 1 ton truck with a drilling derrick , chained them both near the top and they balanced perfect to set in place. I have always thought a log truck with a knuckle boom would work great as well but haven't got to try that one yet . Lots of weight and leverage with these things one needs to be careful for sure.
Posted By: bsplichal95 Re: Need to take down a sign pole-- - Wed Mar 25 2015 02:26 AM
Bucket truck works great.
Posted By: FosterChild Re: Need to take down a sign pole-- - Mon Mar 30 2015 06:08 PM
Done it several ways, Tractor, Skid Loader, even as mentioned above and cut one side of bolts off and start pushing the sign over in the direction of the existing bolts and once past a certain point switch sides and lower it down (need 2-3 people, not the safest). It sounds harder than it is.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk