Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Dave's Garage Bought a Wayne 70, need some info... - Tue Mar 17 2015 09:26 PM
I have over 30 Wayne 70's stashed away and really like them. I've only seen one of these before in a collection with the extra pricing hardware on the reset side.

On Friday, I ran into this pump and bought it over the weekend. The most I have ever paid for a Wayne 70, but it's only money. Trade paper for a pump I want any day! I am absolutely out of room so I lent it to a friend to display.

My question is; were these pumps a different model? The id plate was changed out, with a new reproduction piece during restoration so that is of no help. Unsure what the exact purpose of this additional pricing mechanism was. Anyone know?

Attached picture rsz_w70_sinclair_hc-2.jpg
Attached picture rsz_w70_sinclair_hc-1.jpg
Attached picture rsz_w70_sinclair_hc-3.jpg
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: Bought a Wayne 70, need some info... - Tue Mar 17 2015 09:30 PM
The top left lever has three selection positions. They are labelled Money, Normal, and Gallons.

Attached picture rsz_w70_sinclair_hc-4.jpg
Attached picture rsz_w70_sinclair_hc-5.jpg
Attached picture rsz_w70_sinclair_hc-6.jpg
Posted By: SKomatinsky Re: Bought a Wayne 70, need some info... - Tue Mar 17 2015 09:50 PM
Well that is really cool
Posted By: advertologist Re: Bought a Wayne 70, need some info... - Tue Mar 17 2015 10:25 PM
that is a unique pump- cool... cool
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: Bought a Wayne 70, need some info... - Tue Mar 17 2015 10:45 PM
Good looking pump... That is a version I don't remember seeing before... I hope someone is familiar with it and can give some background on it...

Thanks for sharing, Dave... (you are getting to be like Randy, if someone has a question about an item, check with Randy and/or now Dave, to see if they have an example...) wink
Posted By: SKomatinsky Re: Bought a Wayne 70, need some info... - Wed Mar 18 2015 12:35 AM
why would there be a pricing totalizer on the side when the total price is on the front meter
Posted By: SandPCollector Re: Bought a Wayne 70, need some info... - Wed Mar 18 2015 12:48 AM
Would that let you set a certain amount (price or gallons) to dispense and then shut off the pump, or set it in middle for normal operation? Just a thought.
Posted By: Man-Cave-Shoppe Dave Re: Bought a Wayne 70, need some info... - Wed Mar 18 2015 12:56 AM
Heya Dave, Cool pump!
Do you have any shots of the inside so we can see how it's all hooked up???
Posted By: philmccauley Re: Bought a Wayne 70, need some info... - Wed Mar 18 2015 12:57 AM
When the lever was set to money it was based on the amount set in the window by the large brass wheel. The other lever was a drain back from the sight glass manifold and had to be engaged in one or the other position as they were mechanically interlocked. I had one of these years ago and sold it for a crazy offer and have regretted it since. A computer pump with a cash recorder mechanism built in it, don't know why they did this as it could have been modified by a municipality or something. Great pump Dave, I am always available for pumps on loan here in central KY, come on down.
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Bought a Wayne 70, need some info... - Wed Mar 18 2015 01:06 AM
That pump is "money" - very cool!
Posted By: racecop Re: Bought a Wayne 70, need some info... - Wed Mar 18 2015 01:16 AM
I stupidly passed on one of these pumps a couple years ago because I didn't think it was suppose to like that. Later I spoke to Dick Bennett and he told me they made some like this. Sorry I don't have pictures
Posted By: keithia Re: Bought a Wayne 70, need some info... - Wed Mar 18 2015 01:22 AM
Darn it Racecop. I knew we should have bought that one.
Posted By: Gasman84470 Re: Bought a Wayne 70, need some info... - Wed Mar 18 2015 01:29 AM
Dave, Dave now you've crossed a line somewhere LOL. Buying but displaying elsewhere? Great thinking. I was displaying my 6' signs at a friend's hanger there is so little room in the my house in the burbs. Dick had his "extras" in a museum.
What a neat pump. Too bad the professor couldn't give a few words. But at 30 Wayne 70 pumps you've got to be one of the most knowledgeable guys out there.
Posted By: bsplichal95 Re: Bought a Wayne 70, need some info... - Wed Mar 18 2015 01:59 AM
Unique!
Posted By: Rabbitman Re: Bought a Wayne 70, need some info... - Wed Mar 18 2015 02:50 AM
Awesome pump Dave.
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: Bought a Wayne 70, need some info... - Wed Mar 18 2015 04:59 AM
I have probably a 8" stack of tall 70 literature, but none of it relates to what you have. It is too bad you don't have the original ID tag, the serial number would tell us when the pump was made.
Having read or owned every National Petroleum News magazine from 1908 to 1988, I have read many articles where States, Counties, Cities, Towns had special requirements for the sale of gasoline, but, what this pump has is not some slight modification, Wayne or somebody went to quite an expense to make all these parts.
My guess, and that all it is, is something Wayne did when they first introduced the 70, thinking this was necessary, then realizing it was not, it was dropped.

Really unusual, but why, the computer was introduced around 1932, why have these items on a 1937 pump? Looks like someone needs to some serious research.

Jack Sim
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: Bought a Wayne 70, need some info... - Wed Mar 18 2015 05:23 AM
I appreciate all the information and positive comments.

According to what Phil posted. Seems like Jim is onto something. "Would that let you set a certain amount (price or gallons) to dispense and then shut off the pump, or set it in middle for normal operation." This seems like the logical explanation so far.

Dave, I'll take some pic's tomorrow with the door open and then post them for everyone.

Fair to say that, there is a few of those out there. I've seen two, Phil had one, Racecop and Keithia have seen one.

I agree Jack, that it would have been very nice to have the id tag. Without it we are missing a few crucial pieces of information.
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: Bought a Wayne 70, need some info... - Wed Mar 18 2015 10:47 PM
Fred on a side note...I agree it's getting a bit out of hand. I just made the pile bigger. Don't ask me why, I bought these 21 lamp standards (bought 51 in total, 30 to come yet). They were 31 ft tall I bucked the overhang off, now they are down to 21 feet.

Attached picture rsz_21_lamp_standards-1.jpg
Attached picture rsz_21_lamp_standards-2.jpg
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: Bought a Wayne 70, need some info... - Wed Mar 18 2015 10:51 PM
Back to the pump. First picture shows the gate valve that Phil referred to. The top right brass lever controls it.

The second photo shows that this pump uses a side read totaliser computer. The computer is unique to this pump, in that it has three shafts on the reset side.

Attached picture rsz_w70_sinclair_hc-8.jpg
Attached picture rsz_w70_sinclair_hc-9.jpg
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: Bought a Wayne 70, need some info... - Wed Mar 18 2015 10:55 PM
The next two photo's show the large and complex mechanism attached to the inside of the side panel. Like Jack pointed out in his comments this was an expensive set up for Wayne to manufacture.

Hopefully, some one will have some further info on these.

Attached picture rsz_w70_sinclair_hc-12.jpg
Attached picture rsz_w70_sinclair_hc-13.jpg
Posted By: Man-Cave-Shoppe Dave Re: Bought a Wayne 70, need some info... - Thu Mar 19 2015 12:27 AM
WOW!!! that is one trick setup!!!!
You win the brownie button for most interesting pump find in recent history!!
Probably worth every penny and more than what you paid for it.
Thanx for sharing!
Posted By: TJammer Re: Bought a Wayne 70, need some info... - Thu Mar 19 2015 12:23 PM
That is a cool setup..!
I think Jim hit the nail right on the head. Looks like Wayne's first attempt at preset sales. Like many of todays pumps, you have the option of either a money or gallon preset sale, and it has to have some sort of flow control.
Your pump has all the components for such a thing.
If you look on the shaft that goes to the valve, it has a piece on it with a oblong hole, that must have attached to something that controlled that valve. Also those two extra shafts that go to the computer, seem to run of the money wheel and gallon wheel.
One or the other must have been active, depending on what selection you chose. All presets need to have a value, hence the brass wheel that selected the amount you wanted. Once the sale reached its predetermined value, the flow of fuel has to be stopped ...This must have been done , by some sort of linkage that attached to the piece on the shaft that goes to the valve.

It would be really neat to see how it all worked together.
Great pump Dave !..You should experiment with it, to see how things worked ....but then again it may be hard to do, if some pieces are missing.
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Bought a Wayne 70, need some info... - Thu Mar 19 2015 12:55 PM
Great post with some great information. Thanks for sharing it with us, Dave!
Posted By: TJammer Re: Bought a Wayne 70, need some info... - Thu Mar 19 2015 01:43 PM
Also....if you ever looked in a 511 blender, you can see how Wayne really mastered the art of flow control, through linkages that partially or fully opened/closed valves, for different blend ratios..
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk