Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: champlinman Anyone ever had a cylinder cut down or repaired? - Wed Jan 07 2015 10:45 PM
I have two cyinders, one is 13.5x22 with cracks in various areas and the other is 12.5x26 with a freeze crack half way around about one inch from the bottom. Has anyone ever taken them to glass shop to be cut down or have the cracks filled? If I cut the 26" down to 24 I could use it in my butler and get rid of the crack. Anyway not sure if this would work or would it make it worse? Anyone ever tried this? Thanks, Todd.
Todd - If u get an answer to this please let me know. I have a couple in the same condition.

Thanks, Ernie
Posted By: scottpcm Re: Anyone ever had a cylinder cut down or repaired? - Thu Jan 08 2015 12:18 PM
On my recent pump restoration I had a cylinder cut down maybe 1/4 inch or so my guy took it to a shop just to flatten out the irregularities. Looks perfect with a thicker gasket on my restored pump...Scott B.
Scott - Where did u have it cut down? Thanks, Ernie
Posted By: G Jones Re: Anyone ever had a cylinder cut down or repaired? - Thu Jan 08 2015 01:54 PM
had two cut down. Took it to a local glass shop. Had to sign a waiver in case in shattered. Both came out without issues.
Posted By: oilmanpat Re: Anyone ever had a cylinder cut down or repaired? - Thu Jan 08 2015 01:56 PM
I have had two tried at local glass company. Both of them shattered. Could go either way so, be prepared.
Have had many cut down here, but our guy has retired, New guy states he is better and can do it just fine, Have not tried him yet, but has to be at least two cylinders to do. $200.00 for the both.
I have also had several done, my local shop uses a Makita glass saw, and they have never broke one, they charge me $100.00. Don't let anyone talk you into scoring and snapping like they do glass bottles, it has to be done with a glass saw.
Good to know guys,thanks for your insight. My local glass guys would not touch them. Also tried the windshield places to see about having chips and cracks filled. Their instrument only works on semi flat surfaces, cylinder was too curved.
I've done a couple of cylinders that have had a freeze break all the way around them. Usually they are off by about 1/4". I've used a hand block sander and have been able to get them close enough to use on a pumps. Make sure you don't get them hot. That is what breaks them. Richard
Posted By: scottpcm Re: Anyone ever had a cylinder cut down or repaired? - Fri Jan 09 2015 05:48 PM
My restorer just used a glass company that could cut glass. Scott B.
Posted By: GasUp Re: Anyone ever had a cylinder cut down or repaired? - Sun Jan 11 2015 12:38 AM
I had one done by the Co. Glass Blower. She looked at it thru a glass lens that would show if the cyl. had any stress in it. mine did not. then we cut it on a wet saw with no problems. So one might ask if they can view it for stress before they try to cut it. If i am not mistaken the glass can be relived of the stress by heating it. Hope this helps
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Anyone ever had a cylinder cut down or repaired? - Sun Jan 11 2015 01:19 AM
Best way is a shop with a water jet, but if there isn't one close, the shipping kills it!
If ya have a 50 50 chance of it shatering. Why not try it your self using the trick seen on youtube where make glasses from bottles. Taking string soked in lighter fluid. Wrap where want the cut. Light the string. Let burn till go out then pore cold water on the string
Ok, I found a glass company to cut it and I will take it in next week. They are very confident about cutting it down so I will roll the dice and see what happens. Wish me luck! I will post the results when it is done.
Posted By: Old Racer Re: Anyone ever had a cylinder cut down or repaired? - Sat Jan 17 2015 12:57 PM
Originally Posted By: champlinman
Ok, I found a glass company to cut it and I will take it in next week. They are very confident about cutting it down so I will roll the dice and see what happens. Wish me luck! I will post the results when it is done.

Let us know what method they use to cut it. See if they will let you take some pictures or if they will take some for you??
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Anyone ever had a cylinder cut down or repaired? - Mon Jan 19 2015 12:50 AM
My father cut down a glass cylinder once, taking off about an inch. We used masking tape to create the line location. Then we used a thin cutting wheel on a angle die grinder, figured we had nothing to lose right since the cylinder was cracked? We went around in a circle taking a little off at a time, slow going. I thought he was crazy at the time, but it worked just fine. The edge was a little rough but it didnt crack and once it was mounted you couldnt tell the edge was perfectly smooth. Im not necessarily recomending this approach as we've only done it once but it did work.

When you cut glass for stained glass, they usually use water with an abrasive cutter, we did the above dry.
Ok, my cylinder was safely cut down for $32. The guy cutting has been cutting glass for years and said he had a 90% chance of not breaking it so I had him give it a try. He used a diamond tip blade with water. He smoothed the edges and it looks great!

© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk