Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: GrandpaBear Wayne Model 1 - Thu Jul 24 2014 05:09 PM
I am new to the hobby and also new to Oldgas. I picked a Wayne Model 1 as a place to start, mainly because I found one that seems to be complete and needs mostly cosmetic work and basic refurb. I was surprised when I went looking for info about this pump. As best as I can tell, it was manufactured in the 60's which makes it newer than what it appears most of you focus on. That said, it also appears to be too old for what I can find on Wayne's site and other contemp parts suppliers. Does this mean I am in NOMAN's land - too new for vintage restorers and too old for serviceable eqpt? At any rate, as I started disassembly, I realized how little I know about gas pump restoration. So....for starters it would be helpful if someone could provide basic advice:

Does anybody know of a source of info (parts manuals, operators manuals, etc.) for a Wayne Model 1?

The pic below (I hope it makes the trip!) is with the top, windows, bezels and lower panels removed. I did not take a picture before I took these off. Fortunately, I think the pump is basically complete.

Attached picture DSC_3979a.jpg
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Wayne Model 1 - Thu Jul 24 2014 05:13 PM
http://petrolianacollectibles.com/gas%20pump%20literature.htm
WAYNE Model #1 1957
http://petrolianacollectibles.com/wayne%201.htm
Posted By: GrandpaBear Re: Wayne Model 1 - Thu Jul 24 2014 05:58 PM
Thanks! Do you know if there is an easy way to tell which version of the repair parts list is applicable to my pump? I am not sure of the date of manufacture, but attached is a copy of the manufacturer's ID plate and it has a "65" in the S/N section. Suppose this means it was made in 1965 so the 1957 parts manual would apply?

Attached picture DSC_4034a.jpg
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Wayne Model 1 - Thu Jul 24 2014 06:11 PM
Pump was 1st made in '57 & as w/ most pumps made for many years w/ little on no change.
WAYNE made a 600 [628] Series Visible up till 1947.

Use the WANT TO BUY Forum when looking/needing original parts.
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Wayne Model 1 - Thu Jul 24 2014 06:15 PM
I don't collect later pumps, is this what you have?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-Gulf-Oil-Co...=p2054897.l4275
Posted By: GrandpaBear Re: Wayne Model 1 - Thu Jul 24 2014 06:19 PM
Yes, that is the style pump I have. However, mine does not have the globe on top. I am wondering if this model ever had one as original equipment or if this is something that has been added. In the spot under the globe on mine is the recoil spring for the hose take up line.
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Wayne Model 1 - Thu Jul 24 2014 06:26 PM
By 196?, Most companies quit using globes. Globe was added by collector.
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: Wayne Model 1 - Thu Jul 24 2014 07:49 PM
...do yourself a favor, and leave the globe off...if you want your pump to look like it did when it was in service at a Gulf station, paint the sides white and the base blue...find two relatively common (and inexpensive) pump signs on eBay and you're done...
Posted By: GrandpaBear Re: Wayne Model 1 - Fri Jul 25 2014 01:12 AM
Thanks gulfiend. That is exactly what I am thinking....
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: Wayne Model 1 - Fri Jul 25 2014 01:43 AM
Good choice. It will be a sharp looking pump. I couldn't get myself to drill holes in a stainless steel top.
Posted By: philmccauley Re: Wayne Model 1 - Fri Jul 25 2014 03:49 AM
I think Mark meant the door white and base blue, leave the stainless alone and just polish it.
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: Wayne Model 1 - Fri Jul 25 2014 03:38 PM
Originally Posted By: philmccauley
I think Mark meant the door white and base blue, leave the stainless alone and just polish it.

...that, AND I wouldn't drill any holes in the top... wink
Posted By: GrandpaBear Re: Wayne Model 1 - Sat Jul 26 2014 04:59 PM
Thanks all. My plans are along the same lines as your recommendations. Only difference is the pics I have seen of this pump in the Gulf Livery have the bottom panels orange with a blue band at the bottom. Otherwise, I plan to clean it up and do some paint and polish and get it back to close to original. I will plan to post a pic or two when I get there.
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: Wayne Model 1 - Mon Jul 28 2014 12:21 PM
Originally Posted By: GrandpaBear
Only difference is the pics I have seen of this pump in the Gulf Livery have the bottom panels orange with a blue band at the bottom.

...those are the older, taller pumps from the late 1950's...your pump dates to the mid-1960's, and would never have been painted in an older livery...trust me: if you want it 'period-correct', it's white door panels and a blue base...
Posted By: ErnieMartin Re: Wayne Model 1 - Thu Jul 31 2014 10:17 PM
Post some pictures when you get it done.
Posted By: GrandpaBear Re: Wayne Model 1 - Sun Aug 17 2014 01:55 AM
Regarding colors...

The attached ads are from mid '60's magazines. The pumps look like my Wayne Model 1.

Is there any reason to believe that mine could not have been dressed out this way or that these pumps are different from mine?

Attached picture Gulf Ad.jpg
Attached picture Gulf Ad 3a.JPG
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Wayne Model 1 - Sun Aug 17 2014 02:04 AM
Pumps were Special Ordered by GULF. IF yours looks different, after it was pulled out of Retail Sales & given/loaned to a Commercial/Farming operation to pump Fuel. Re-branded by distributor.
Posted By: GrandpaBear Re: Wayne Model 1 - Sun Aug 17 2014 02:04 AM
oops. Gulfiend! I meant to respond to your post. See my reply post to ErnieMartin

Still trying to get the hang of the forum....
Posted By: Keystone Gas Man Re: Wayne Model 1 - Sun Aug 17 2014 03:25 AM
Heres a pic of another Gulf pump...Does yours look like this pump when all togh. ? Or like the one in the ad above?

Attached picture gulf.jpg
Posted By: Keystone Gas Man Re: Wayne Model 1 - Mon Aug 18 2014 11:13 AM
I agree with Mark... White panels, Blue or Black base.Then a couple of good or no nox plates like on the pic above.
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: Wayne Model 1 - Mon Aug 18 2014 02:41 PM
Originally Posted By: GrandpaBear
Regarding colors...

The attached ads are from mid '60's magazines. The pumps look like my Wayne Model 1.

Is there any reason to believe that mine could not have been dressed out this way or that these pumps are different from mine?

...while similar, the pumps in the ads are earlier (and taller) than yours, and are different models...the last photo of the unrestored No-Nox pump is what your pump would look like with all four door panels...
Posted By: GrandpaBear Re: Wayne Model 1 - Tue Aug 19 2014 02:15 PM
Thanks, Gents. VERY helpful. My pump looks exactly like the pic posted by Keystone Gas Man (except that mine was painted orange). I think I will go with white scheme. The attached repro signs were the closest I could find to replace the ones missing on mine - would either be appropriate? Are there better options out there (these were the only ones I could find Googling).

Is Gas Pump Heaven operated by one of you folks?

Attached picture Gaspumpheaven MED-003-05.jpg
Attached picture Gaspumpheaven MED-004-02.jpg
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: Wayne Model 1 - Tue Aug 19 2014 02:23 PM
...geez, nothing against Gas Pump Heaven - but these pump signs are so common (and relatively affordable), that if I were going to the trouble to restore one of these pumps, I'd use originals...

...to answer your question: either sign would be appropriate...and I doubt there are repros cheaper than those offered by GPH...
Posted By: Keystone Gas Man Re: Wayne Model 1 - Tue Aug 19 2014 02:24 PM
I again agree with Mark..I prefer originals...but if you don't mind repros either would be correct for that pump....You can also use gulftane or gulf diesel ... with the gulf emblem..Those pumps were mid 60s to mid 70s I used them a lot...very cool pump..When your finished with her please post pics..And good luck ! PS: IMO Please don't add a globe to it...those chrome tops are hard to come by in good shape.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk