Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: 60wayne American Pickers, getting desperate ? - Wed Jul 02 2014 12:18 AM
I was flipping threw my monthly Journal of Antiques and Collectibles and ran up on this ad. I guess it's easier then free styling ? I wonder if my collection is Worth the Pick ? I thought so that's why I picked it.

Wonder what other magazines they have started advertizing in ?

Attached picture 143.JPG
Attached picture 144.JPG
Posted By: 60wayne Re: American Pickers, getting desperate ? - Wed Jul 02 2014 12:20 AM
Just a thought about the head line.

Time to get Plucked ??????
Posted By: hri_2008 Re: American Pickers, getting desperate ? - Wed Jul 02 2014 01:01 AM
Looks like American Pickers is still going then. The Canadian Pickers is off the air, at least any future episodes. I never saw the Canadians go on a single cold call. It was always to collector homes, antiques stores, businesses and if you can believe it, yard sales.
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: American Pickers, getting desperate ? - Wed Jul 02 2014 01:31 AM
Remove the TV $$$$$$ & they won't make it Freewheeling.

Originally Posted By: 60wayne
Time to get Plucked ??????

You can list in For Sale here IF you really want to get Plucked!
Posted By: Mike M. Re: American Pickers, getting desperate ? - Wed Jul 02 2014 02:00 AM
Love the last part....After all Mike and Frank are modern day archeologists!

I just don't remember in school of any Archeologists that had someone contact them with their findings so they could take the credit for it!
Posted By: Gas stuff.com Re: American Pickers, getting desperate ? - Wed Jul 02 2014 10:00 AM
Check out the back cover of that magazine.
Posted By: 60wayne Re: American Pickers, getting desperate ? - Wed Jul 02 2014 06:25 PM
Here is a picture of the back cover of the magazine. A little promotion for what I am sure is a great antique show in Gas stuff.com's little town. I have always heard good things about this show even before I knew that Gas stuff.com lived there and is an active promoter. I am sure some day I will wonder up that way in late August to check it out. Had a great time up there in June for the Gas and Oil show !!!!! Great stuff can show up at any show , so get out and enjoy the hunt.

Attached picture 007.JPG
Posted By: Steven C. Re: American Pickers, getting desperate ? - Wed Jul 02 2014 06:56 PM
So DB, when does your episode air?? I'm looking forward to seeing your collection!
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: American Pickers, getting desperate ? - Wed Jul 02 2014 06:58 PM
"No retail shops...after all Mike and Frank are modern day archeologists"

...emphasis should be on the word 'retail'...
Posted By: Highway66 Re: American Pickers, getting desperate ? - Wed Jul 02 2014 07:56 PM
Sounds like they're picked out. It's a funny show to watch for a good laugh. Thank them for sky rocketing the prices of Petroliana!
Posted By: Gasoline George Re: American Pickers, getting desperate ? - Thu Jul 03 2014 02:06 AM
Good for a laugh all right !! I saw an episode where they picked up 2 DS Shell die cut porcelain signs 48" for $450, and they were in great condition. Yeah right !!!!!
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: American Pickers, getting desperate ? - Thu Jul 03 2014 02:20 AM
Planted Treasures & B.S. Buys = Entertainment TV [Cartoon TV].
Posted By: advertologist Re: American Pickers, getting desperate ? - Thu Jul 03 2014 02:34 AM
Thank them for sky rocketing the prices of Petroliana!

Originally Posted By: Gasoline George
I saw an episode where they picked up 2 DS Shell die cut porcelain signs 48" for $450, and they were in great condition.

these 2 statements contradict each other... cool
Posted By: Gasoline George Re: American Pickers, getting desperate ? - Thu Jul 03 2014 02:51 AM
Randy, even if these episodes were a couple of years old, I don't think these signs were fetching $225. I think it's more a situation what Dick described, BS buys!!!
Posted By: hotrodfun1 Re: American Pickers, getting desperate ? - Thu Jul 03 2014 02:59 AM
has anybody been to there store to see if this stuff is in there for sale for the prices they post on tv??
Posted By: advertologist Re: American Pickers, getting desperate ? - Thu Jul 03 2014 03:01 AM
George, you are right- I've witnessed a similar show filmed & know it is- strictly entertainment, don't put
a value on your buys on what they do.. cool
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: American Pickers, getting desperate ? - Thu Jul 03 2014 03:35 AM
When they were in SoCal, Randy did a selfie w/ Mike. Surprised you didn't have them do your place?
http://oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showgallery&Number=207721
Posted By: Gasoline George Re: American Pickers, getting desperate ? - Thu Jul 03 2014 04:14 AM
No but if I was a betting man, I would say they are marked up astronomically !
Posted By: oilmanpat Re: American Pickers, getting desperate ? - Thu Jul 03 2014 12:29 PM
Been to both stores. Inflated prices and a lot of stuff sold before the episode even airs.
Posted By: advertologist Re: American Pickers, getting desperate ? - Thu Jul 03 2014 01:41 PM
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
When they were in SoCal, Randy did a selfie w/ Mike. Surprised you didn't have them do your place?

Oh....they wanted too- I didn't see anything good coming out of it... cool
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: American Pickers, getting desperate ? - Thu Jul 03 2014 01:54 PM
Gotta be a few items you haven't seen in 20+ Years. Been Hilarius seeing them Climb over stuff to get in the back!
Posted By: Ed Steagall Re: American Pickers, getting desperate ? - Thu Jul 03 2014 02:34 PM
wink I have been to their store in Le Claire when I have been going to Iowa Gas. Only a couple items recognizable from the shows, most things not for sale only for decoration. What is for sale is; coffee mugs, post cards, pictures, T-Shirts, etc. A real Tourist Trap if you know what I mean. People snapping pictures all over the place. A real joke. I have heard Nashville store the same.
Ed. crazy
Posted By: Fasturn402 Re: American Pickers, getting desperate ? - Thu Jul 03 2014 02:57 PM
I have been to the Nashville store and can confirm that it is the same. A bunch of Made In China junk.
Posted By: hotrodfun1 Re: American Pickers, getting desperate ? - Thu Jul 03 2014 03:24 PM
Thanks for the reply I was wondering if it was not that way. I Would like to no if they even buy half of the stuff? All I no is when I get in a place and they are ready to sell I buy all I can at that time not leave it. There has been many time I almost ran out of gas because I spent all my money...
Posted By: henlovestoys Re: American Pickers, getting desperate ? - Thu Jul 03 2014 04:54 PM
Originally Posted By: Fasturn402
I have been to the Nashville store and can confirm that it is the same. A bunch of Made In China junk.

Have you seen LARGE scale models made there? If you only saw them in person (which I have; my friend has many of them), you would be very surprised!

Example: 1934 Packard, Gilmore Lion Head Race car, Duesenberg Mormon Meteor, etc ... ALL > 30-inches long + heavy diecast!

And ... Very few made + Very-very pricy!

Hen
Posted By: 47reo-travis Re: American Pickers, getting desperate ? - Sat Jul 05 2014 08:19 PM
I often wonder if Mike and frank and the Cracker Barrel buyers are in cahoots . It's amazing the quality items most Cracker Barrel stores are stocked with . I have always heard the Cracker Barrel franchise has pickers on the payroll scouting for goodies , anyone else ever heard that rumor?
Posted By: Let er' Buck Re: American Pickers, getting desperate ? - Sun Jul 06 2014 12:17 AM
Travis,
I have heard that as well and was also told by one of their Managers that next to the Smithsonian they have the largest collection of antiques in the world with over 100,000 item in their warehouse in Tennessee waiting to go out on display at their stores .
There is also a article in USA today and several others about how they get their items that was interesting as they said they have people show us daily trying to sell them stuff by the truckload that must be nice wish I had people showing up with truckloads of stuff to look through sure would make it a lot easier...

Bob
Posted By: 47reo-travis Re: American Pickers, getting desperate ? - Sun Jul 06 2014 12:40 AM
I bet they buy a lot of it cheap as well Bob.
Posted By: Iceman Re: American Pickers, getting desperate ? - Sun Jul 06 2014 02:20 AM
I was at an auction in Tennessee once and the Cracker Barrel buyer was bidding on-line. They won several bids but also lost a few.
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: American Pickers, getting desperate ? - Sun Jul 06 2014 02:43 AM
Quote:
..over 100,000 item in their warehouse in Tennessee....

& Biggest selling items in stores are Made In China!
Same w/ Pawn Jerks & Wrecks Restorations.
Posted By: Let er' Buck Re: American Pickers, getting desperate ? - Sun Jul 06 2014 10:25 PM
Never been to cracker barrel with the intention of buying anything but breakfast and enjoying the antiques (wish they'd sell some of those) and the folks working there are friendly.
Its nearly impossible to find a store not filled with junk made in China in our country anymore DB sad all the way around...
but they do have good breakfasts there making me hungry thinking about it..... wink
how'd this go from the pickers to breakfast anyway?
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: American Pickers, getting desperate ? - Sun Jul 06 2014 10:52 PM
Originally Posted By: L'rB.
how'd this go from the pickers to breakfast anyway?

You must have flown the Red Eye AGAIN!

No worse than getting a call w/ your medical results, from INDIA @ 2-3AM & they claim they are speaking English!

HELL, around here you can't go into Wal Mart UN-less you can read 2-3 different languages!
Posted By: Highway66 Re: American Pickers, getting desperate ? - Mon Jul 07 2014 04:27 PM
I heard Dannie D doesn't even work/live near their "store".
Posted By: JUNK KING Re: American Pickers, getting desperate ? - Mon Jul 07 2014 09:29 PM
All I know is I'm sure glad she's nowhere near me.
Talk about a sideshow attraction.
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: American Pickers, getting desperate ? - Mon Jul 07 2014 10:04 PM
Sideshow as in Freaks of Nature!
Posted By: JUNK KING Re: American Pickers, getting desperate ? - Mon Jul 07 2014 10:23 PM
Sideshow as in freak of freaks.
Posted By: hri_2008 Re: American Pickers, getting desperate ? - Tue Jul 08 2014 04:06 AM
Did someone say Cracker Barrel?
Not only do they offer great American food.
Their own resident archivist Larry Singleton offers restoration instruction.
http://www.crackerbarrel.com/store/explore-our-decor/restoration-step-by-step/
Posted By: Steven C. Re: American Pickers, getting desperate ? - Tue Jul 08 2014 08:34 AM
I was just at a cracker barrel a few weeks ago. I had no idea any of that stuff was real!! I just figured it all to be fake. I didn't even pay attention to it. Although there was one Chevy Service sign up high that I did a double take on. I was telling my mom, if that was real, that sign could be worth upwards of a couple grand. Hmmm.... Who knew!! I just assumed everything in there was fake.

P.S. the breakfast was awesome!!!
Now back to the pickers.
Posted By: Done4 Re: American Pickers, getting desperate ? - Wed Jul 09 2014 04:51 PM
My buddy was on the pickers show and he said everything was staged. His kid emailed them with pics and thats how he got on the show. They only showed half of what they bought. They asked him if he knew of anyone else that had stuff they might sell and he gave my number. Got a call from their producers in New York who was nice but I told her I was not interested and she was alright with that. My buddy also told me that he had to read from a script board for the closing part of the show.

Some free styling, right.
Posted By: Jarvis Re: American Pickers, getting desperate ? - Wed Jul 09 2014 05:32 PM
Shame of it is I would bet mike and frank are truly good guys that have been pickers for years. I knew mike had pitched the show to tv for 3 year? Look on youtube for some of his real early stuff before he got to tv. Now that discovery has it... They have to put there spin on it.
Take the show for what it is... Entertainment tv... Real life stuff these guys do that discovery has screwed up for entertainment.
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: American Pickers, getting desperate ? - Wed Jul 09 2014 06:06 PM
Originally Posted By: 47reo-travis
I often wonder if Mike and frank and the Cracker Barrel buyers are in cahoots . It's amazing the quality items most Cracker Barrel stores are stocked with . I have always heard the Cracker Barrel franchise has pickers on the payroll scouting for goodies , anyone else ever heard that rumor?

...the better the stuff, the older the Cracker Barrel...the newer ones have lesser quality decor...I seriously doubt they have stacks of $2500 signs in a warehouse...more like $150 signs...
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: American Pickers, getting desperate ? - Wed Jul 09 2014 06:55 PM
Same script writer/dialog for Pawn Jerks, Wrecks Wreckstoration & 2 Clown Pickers
Posted By: jkyocom Re: American Pickers, getting desperate ? - Tue Jul 15 2014 10:02 PM
I can't find anything good about or to say about that show.
More like HOCKEYOLIGISTS
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk