Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: 67rs/ss396 repop or real - Mon Mar 25 2013 05:02 PM
Just getting parts together to restore a gas pump I have, wanted to know if this sign is real or not and what to look for.

Attached picture 20130325_104213_resized_2.jpg
Attached picture 20130325_104225_resized_2.jpg
Posted By: Gas globe guy Re: repop or real - Mon Mar 25 2013 05:12 PM
Real.
Posted By: JustJames Re: repop or real - Mon Mar 25 2013 06:30 PM
I know this will come off as a arrogant remark, but: The man asked what to look for? Just saying "real" is not much help and does not contribte to the growth of the hobby. Just sayin.
Posted By: Gas globe guy Re: repop or real - Mon Mar 25 2013 06:32 PM
The date on the bottom right that you took a pic of. That is all I know. Someone else could tell you allot more. I just know its real because of the date.
Posted By: GasolineFiend Re: repop or real - Mon Mar 25 2013 06:47 PM
The date doesn't mean anything. There are plenty of repops out with fake dates stamped.
Posted By: Metro69 Re: repop or real - Mon Mar 25 2013 06:48 PM
Not sure what to look for but don't they date some of these fakes?
Posted By: Steven C. Re: repop or real - Mon Mar 25 2013 07:02 PM
Can you post the exact dimensions?
Posted By: 67rs/ss396 Re: repop or real - Mon Mar 25 2013 07:05 PM
I was told they did not repop one's with this date. But I'm new to this and not sure.
I also noticed some with a date of 3-4-47, my thought is maybe one of the dates may be a repop date.

Tony
Posted By: Alex Re: repop or real - Mon Mar 25 2013 07:13 PM
Picture is not the best, but in my humble, but loveable opinion, I say it is real based on the gromets and, belive it or not, the chips...LOL just my opinion.
Posted By: blacktee Re: repop or real - Mon Mar 25 2013 08:45 PM
Originally Posted By: GasolineFiend
The date doesn't mean anything. There are plenty of repops out with fake dates stamped.

The date means everything to this seasoned Texaco collector and it's real. LOL
Posted By: Keystone Gas Man Re: repop or real - Mon Mar 25 2013 09:51 PM
Looks good to me !!
Posted By: 67rs/ss396 Re: repop or real - Tue Mar 26 2013 02:45 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I bought as possible repop, got lucky that it's not and come out ahead. Now just need to find 1 more and a set of doors.

Thanks again
Tony
Posted By: mcguffeyd1 Re: repop or real - Tue Mar 26 2013 02:51 AM
Originally Posted By: blacktee
Originally Posted By: GasolineFiend

The date means everything to this seasoned Texaco collector and it's real. LOL

Yes the dates means alot. Unrealistic dates throw red flags, but the sign is good and in really nice shape.
Posted By: 60wayne Re: repop or real - Tue Mar 26 2013 02:51 AM
Your pump plate is good.

Here are three pump plates.Te one on the left is a repro and is dated 5-21-90 with Made in U.S.A. on the left side, which is larger then the other two signs. It has brass grommets. With no gaps on the back. It has a clean bright white back. It has a black outline to the T instead of white.

The middle sign has Made in U.S.A. on the left side in smaller and tighter together lettering and is dated 3-1-57 on the right on the right. It has a green back and a white outlined T. The grommets are steal and have a wide flare on the back.

The sign to the far right has the date of 3-40 on the left and Made in U.S.A. on the right. Again white outlined T and steel grommets but a tight flare to them on the back. A paler white backside.

When you look closer you will see many more differences in the signs. The main one I notice is that the eagle has black highlights in the reproduction sign, the two originals have brown highlights.

There are also a few other repros's out there but they are easy to spot because they are tin and different sizes and poor quality.

Attached picture 004.JPG
Attached picture 010.JPG
Attached picture 005.JPG
Attached picture 006.JPG
Posted By: 60wayne Re: repop or real - Tue Mar 26 2013 02:53 AM
more

Attached picture 007.JPG
Attached picture 008.JPG
Attached picture 013.JPG
Attached picture 012.JPG
Posted By: coheley5 Re: repop or real - Tue Mar 26 2013 03:38 AM
I sold mine so I can't go look at it ,But are those more like dot's between the date on sign in question instead of dashes.
Posted By: FLHRci01 Re: repop or real - Tue Mar 26 2013 01:41 PM
Great information.
Posted By: Old Iron Re: repop or real - Tue Mar 26 2013 02:45 PM
Thanks for posting the pics 60wayne.It makes it easier to post something that might help those concerned about buying a pop FC plate.

Look at the dash between Fire and Cheif on the pop plate.To my personal knowledge that is the only original version of the three real versions of the FC plate to have been popped.

I certainly do not claim to have seen possible pop plates made by other manufactures.Has any one else seen a pop plate without that dash?If so,I will change the advice I usually give to newcomers.Thank you for your thoughts.
Posted By: Ron Cabanayan Re: repop or real - Tue Mar 26 2013 03:06 PM
Can the grommets be an indicator of a real sign? Just looking at the way they are pressed in and how the original grommets are flared out like that. Seems like a minor detail that a repop maker would miss.
Posted By: 60wayne Re: repop or real - Tue Mar 26 2013 06:02 PM
It is interesting what another set of eyes will see ! I sat here with those three signs in front of me and did not notice the 1957 version did not have a dash between Fire and Chief.

I have several of these signs. They are very common with dates from the 1940's, maybe earlier? threw the 1960's.

I put the 1990's repops on pumps I am getting rid of. They are very good quality, the right size and inexpensive. For the pumps I keep I put originals on and if you are patient you can pick them under market value.

Andy Rooney sign Co. made a porcelain repro but it is smaller, and has a sandpaper feeling back, again good quality.
Posted By: Steven C. Re: repop or real - Tue Mar 26 2013 06:38 PM
Great post 60Wayne!!
Thanks!!
Posted By: 60wayne Re: repop or real - Wed Mar 27 2013 03:30 AM

Thanks , This sight is about learning. That is the main reason I look.

I bought a few Texaco signs from a friend last week and posted pictures. Over the weekend I had two friends say they were fake. I picked one up for a friend and one for my self. I met with the friend and he said fake but I got them cheap and he is happy with one. It's always a learning experience. It is a shame that who ever made them had dated them with an early date. This constitutes fraud in my mind. I will let my friend that I bought them from know so he will not buy anymore. As I won't and I hope no one on this sight will pay big bucks for this fake sign dated 1966.

Attached picture 023.JPG
Posted By: blacktee Re: repop or real - Wed Mar 27 2013 09:27 PM
Your signs aren't fake. My friend even had an NOS rack with this sign. These took over the green outboard engine ones.

Doug
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: repop or real - Thu Mar 28 2013 01:07 AM
I agree these are originals. Seems like there was a find of these as they have been showing up on e-Bay regularly for the past few years.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk