Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: doc-olds How to display globes? - Sat Dec 15 2012 04:34 PM
Looking for ideas/options to display and have globes illuminated..Just getting started.Something that's easy to add to.Thanks for advice.
Posted By: Mike M. Re: How to display globes? - Sat Dec 15 2012 05:34 PM
Most of your pump restro suppliers have lighted globe bases that you can mount or sit anywhere. I have gotten a few from Ron Scoobie and Powder coated ones from Vic's. They work great!
Posted By: doc-olds Re: How to display globes? - Sat Dec 15 2012 06:14 PM
Thanks for your reply,Ive seen those.Is that what most people are using when you see them around their garage perimeter? Bryan
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: How to display globes? - Sat Dec 15 2012 06:24 PM
Heres a platform that I made to elevate the back row of globes on an upper platform. They are all plugged into one device that is wired to a switched outlet. Flip one switch and everything comes on.

Attached picture Photo005-resized.jpg
Posted By: Proud_Dad Re: How to display globes? - Sat Dec 15 2012 09:44 PM
The globe bases from some companies are so exoensive. I bought $10 globe bases and secured them to my shelf to hold the globe. I bought puck lights made by utilitech from Lowes that give an incandescent glow. I can light 3 globes for $60, and it looks great. One base from Vics will run you that much.

Attached picture image.jpg
Posted By: Proud_Dad Re: How to display globes? - Sat Dec 15 2012 09:45 PM
Avoid the white LED lights, the color is too white. You can use LED, but make sure its an incandescent color.
Posted By: Proud_Dad Re: How to display globes? - Sat Dec 15 2012 09:46 PM
Thats a great looking base K W.
Posted By: doc-olds Re: How to display globes? - Sun Dec 16 2012 02:09 AM
Thanks for the ideas.I think I'm looking to build some type of shelf around perimeter of garage.One that can easily be added to and second that will be wired as a single switch.KW yours looks great and thanks Intense1 for your ideas.I'm sure there are a ton of unique ideas out there. Thanks again. Bryan
Posted By: s932 Re: How to display globes? - Sun Dec 16 2012 02:27 AM

Here is one of mine they all light up
Posted By: doc-olds Re: How to display globes? - Sun Dec 16 2012 02:41 AM
Very nice display.We should switch the thread to "show us how you display your globes".All the suggestions will definately help. thanks Bryan
Posted By: 67Chev4X4 Re: How to display globes? - Sun Dec 16 2012 07:33 AM
I stuck some of mine in a closet in the house. Mitch

Attached picture PDR_0165.JPG
Attached picture PDR_0167.JPG
Posted By: JimT Re: How to display globes? - Sun Dec 16 2012 01:49 PM
Nice little display, Mitch.
Posted By: Ryan Underthun Re: How to display globes? - Sun Dec 16 2012 02:01 PM
Here is how I display my globes. Pretty much a shelf around the perimeter of my office with globe bases and lights like in Kevins picture.

Attached picture thepumpdump 784.jpg
Posted By: doc-olds Re: How to display globes? - Sun Dec 16 2012 02:48 PM
Mitch is yours illuminated the same way Kevin's is?Ryan I like the addition for the cans.Thanks again
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: How to display globes? - Sun Dec 16 2012 03:08 PM
This was planned and layed out and pre-wired before the drywall went up. I made the wall sconces.

Attached picture Globe Arch LE-4.jpg
Attached picture Globe Sconce Lorne1.jpg
Posted By: doc-olds Re: How to display globes? - Mon Dec 17 2012 01:22 AM
I wish I would have pre-wired way more than I did when I built my separate garage.Sconces add a great look,did you fabricate the whole thing?.Everything looks great!Now you need GulfglenyS Superbird .
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: How to display globes? - Mon Dec 17 2012 07:56 AM
Doc-olds, I sent you an PM with more details of the wall sconces.
Posted By: doc-olds Re: How to display globes? - Tue Dec 18 2012 12:05 AM
thanks,extremely helpful, Bryan
Posted By: RandyM Re: How to display globes? - Tue Dec 18 2012 12:02 PM
I use 1/2 pipe and fittings and attach the globe holders to it. I can run the wiring though it. It is pretty simple and clean. It works for me.

Attached picture DSC_0006.jpg
Posted By: full-o-gas Re: How to display globes? - Tue Dec 18 2012 07:09 PM
Very nice display. I really like the made sconces. I hope to make some for myself as well.
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: How to display globes? - Tue Dec 18 2012 07:20 PM
Thanks, full-o-gas. Welcome to Oldgas.com! I sent you a PM message.
Posted By: Hy-Flash 72 Re: How to display globes? - Tue Dec 18 2012 07:42 PM
Made a shelf above my desk.

Randy

Posted By: RandyM Re: How to display globes? - Wed Dec 26 2012 12:27 AM
Hi Guys, I was PM'd for more detail on my globe mounts. Rather than respond to the PM's I decided to post for all to see. I made an aluminum plate adapter for the globe holders. On the first mounts I used a 4-bolt flange. On the new design I weld a nipple to the plate. Also, with this design you can have endless configurations. Here are some close up photos to help explain everything. Sorry guys it took so long to get you the info.

Attached picture Wall Mounts.JPG
Attached picture Fixture.JPG
Attached picture Double Mount.JPG
Attached picture Bottom.JPG
Posted By: RandyM Re: How to display globes? - Wed Dec 26 2012 12:29 AM
Here are a couple of pix of the adapter.

Attached picture Adapter Top.JPG
Attached picture Adapter Bottom.JPG
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: How to display globes? - Wed Dec 26 2012 01:15 AM
I was gonna guess Retired Plumber or Machinist, then looked at Your Profile: Mechanical Engineer LOL
Probably UL APPROVED TO!
Posted By: doc-olds Re: How to display globes? - Wed Dec 26 2012 03:43 AM
Thanks was looking forward to the photos.Designs are limitless.Bryan
Posted By: dfranchi Re: How to display globes? - Fri Apr 17 2015 02:20 PM
I thought I'd add to this thread so as to give RandyM the proper credit for giving me the idea for my display.
All of the parts except the globe ring and mounting plate are pretty much available from any hardware store.
I used 24" nipples to space the globes, and it allowed me to put each system on 16" centers. Lots of other nipples
involved as well. Had to use a macro lens on the camera to get a picture of the entire wall in, which distorts
things a little --- the globes are a safe distance from the pool table.

Posted By: Steven C. Re: How to display globes? - Fri Apr 17 2015 02:51 PM
SWEET!!!!!!
Posted By: nochevys Re: How to display globes? - Fri Apr 17 2015 03:39 PM
dfranchi

That looks fantastic!
Posted By: Rabbitman Re: How to display globes? - Fri Apr 17 2015 08:03 PM
That's a good looking display. I remember this thread from a couple of years ago and I wondered then and still do......how in the world do you get all those pipe fittings to tighten up in the right position to hold everything solid yet not be loose? I've never been good at working with pipe so I'm sure there's a knack, and I don't have it....GB
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: How to display globes? - Sat Apr 18 2015 03:04 PM
Very nice collection and it displays great! You are a brave soul. I know too many clumsy (drunk) friends to place globes by a pool table and furniture.
Posted By: Scott Baselt Re: How to display globes? - Sat Apr 18 2015 04:02 PM
Originally Posted By: Rabbitman
That's a good looking display. I remember this thread from a couple of years ago and I wondered then and still do......how in the world do you get all those pipe fittings to tighten up in the right position to hold everything solid yet not be loose? I've never been good at working with pipe so I'm sure there's a knack, and I don't have it....GB

Lock rings or thread lock compound.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk