Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Scott Baselt TYDOL TWO sign - Wed Nov 21 2012 04:31 AM
I bought this sign on eBay and was wondering what the TWO represents. What year was this sign first used ?

I'm working on cleaning it and it's looking much better !

As received.

Half way done on one side.

One side clean !

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Posted By: Garage-A-GoGo Re: TYDOL TWO sign - Wed Nov 21 2012 04:39 AM
I know I know!!! lol Tide Water Oil Co.
I think they are the company that had the Tiwoser Globes as well.
Nice Sign!
Jim
Posted By: Carolinatraveler Re: TYDOL TWO sign - Wed Nov 21 2012 04:51 AM
Tiwoser globes and other Tidewater branded items come from Tidewater Oil Service out of Matthews, VA. They became a Pure Oil jobber in 1952 and were still in business as a Union Oil (successor to Pure) jobber when I left eastern VA in the 1980s. Tidewater Oil Company (TWO), operating under the Tydol brand, merged with Associated (Late 1930s), consolidated into a single Flying A image and brand in the early 1950s, and rebranded Getty in 1970. The Getty brand remains in limited use today under successive ownership.

Wayne Henderson
Petroleum Collectibles Monthly
Kernersville, NC
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: TYDOL TWO sign - Wed Nov 21 2012 05:16 AM
Scott, Your using the Cheap Brand of BEER! Get the Better stuff & sign will clean-up Better & Faster.
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: TYDOL TWO sign - Wed Nov 21 2012 07:07 PM
Scott your sign was used by Tide Water before the 1932/33 merger with Associated Oil... (I've read on Wikipedia that the merger took place in 1938, But since I have advertising for Veedol Motor Oil that reads the "Tide Water-Associated Oil Company" and it is dated 1934...)

Congrats on owning the sign... It is one I would like to own someday.....
Posted By: Scott Baselt Re: TYDOL TWO sign - Thu Nov 22 2012 12:24 AM
Thanks for the info guys. It's going on the wall tonight.
Posted By: Big Block Cat Re: TYDOL TWO sign - Thu Nov 22 2012 02:29 AM
IMO that was a great buy Scott!! I was going to bid on the sign and got pulled away from my computer at closing time then forgot about it. I knew it would clean up nicely. Congrats on the buy, and nice job on the clean up. Anthony
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk