Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: tracy terrell Blue Bonnet Gasoline porcelain sign - Sun Nov 14 2010 02:28 AM
I've found an old ~50's ???? Blue Bonnet Gasoline sign 48" and I can't find any info about it or value?? Please help if you know.
Thanks

Attached picture MVC-012S.JPG
Posted By: JOSBORN Re: Blue Bonnet Gasoline porcelain sign - Sun Nov 14 2010 02:31 AM
Welcome to Oldgas. Cool sign but I've never seen one.
Size?
Posted By: advertologist Re: Blue Bonnet Gasoline porcelain sign - Sun Nov 14 2010 02:35 AM
Welcome aboard....unique sign..cool
Is it double sided?
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Blue Bonnet Gasoline porcelain sign - Sun Nov 14 2010 02:36 AM
Single or Double sided?
Buying to keep or Flipping it!

WELCOME TO OLDGAS
1st post w/ 1st picture, GOOD job.
There are members here that gave up trying to post pictures.
Posted By: MARK SMITH Re: Blue Bonnet Gasoline porcelain sign - Sun Nov 14 2010 02:54 AM
Great sign!welcome to Oldgas.
Posted By: tracy terrell Re: Blue Bonnet Gasoline porcelain sign - Sun Nov 14 2010 03:04 AM
it is 48" double sided and I don't know if I'll keep it or flip. ??? value
Posted By: advertologist Re: Blue Bonnet Gasoline porcelain sign - Sun Nov 14 2010 03:12 AM
What part of the country was sign found?
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Blue Bonnet Gasoline porcelain sign - Sun Nov 14 2010 03:13 AM
Welcome to Oldgas.com Shop Talk.

I think it is a great sign too. Don't know the value, but an unusual sign with good graphics is usually a winner even with the obvious chips.

Here's a link to the only Blue Bonnet item in our album:
http://www.gaspumps.info/gallery/v/quarts/b/blueb.jpg.html
Posted By: tracy terrell Re: Blue Bonnet Gasoline porcelain sign - Sun Nov 14 2010 03:21 AM
SW Kentucky is where it was found. Don't realy know anything else.
Posted By: Gaspedler Re: Blue Bonnet Gasoline porcelain sign - Sun Nov 14 2010 05:08 AM
Interesting sign.

I have researched Bluebonnet Oil for a number of years with out finding much.
But note how I spell it as one word. Different than your sign. So I think it may be a different company.

The Bluebonnet Oil Company was located in Mineola, Texas in the early 1920's, and I think may have been bought out by Transcontinental Oil in the late 1920's. I have an advertising piece from Transcontinental Oil with the name spelled as one word. The globe from the Texas company is white with red and blue flowers and green leaves in the center. It to spells it as one word.

The oil can Jim points out has a combination of both so the plot thickens....

Chuck
Posted By: philmccauley Re: Blue Bonnet Gasoline porcelain sign - Sun Nov 14 2010 12:35 PM
Great sign, I would clean it up and hang it.
Posted By: HI-OCTANE Re: Blue Bonnet Gasoline porcelain sign - Sun Nov 14 2010 12:42 PM
Could be a new discovery, never seen before.
Posted By: tomzcollectiblez Re: Blue Bonnet Gasoline porcelain sign - Sun Nov 14 2010 12:42 PM
Welcome to oldgas!
Killer sign with Killer graphics...
Looks like it was a table at some point with 4 holes where the legs were...I'd venture a guess and say it's VERY valuable!
$2500+ (just my opinion!)
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: Blue Bonnet Gasoline porcelain sign - Sun Nov 14 2010 12:43 PM
No info, but no doubt it is a very valuable sign even in that condition. Don't sell yourself short to all the sharks that have emailed you for you to sell it to them.
Posted By: gasoildude Re: Blue Bonnet Gasoline porcelain sign - Sun Nov 14 2010 02:33 PM
I agree that is a very rare sign. Like said do not sell yourself short on it. I would believe it is a new discovery also.
Posted By: 67Chev4X4 Re: Blue Bonnet Gasoline porcelain sign - Mon Nov 15 2010 07:07 AM
I see it's on Ebay now with a starting bid wanting $750.00. Mitch
Posted By: Gas stuff.com Re: Blue Bonnet Gasoline porcelain sign - Mon Nov 15 2010 10:25 AM
What is the auction number????
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: Blue Bonnet Gasoline porcelain sign - Mon Nov 15 2010 10:41 AM
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Blue Bonnet Gasoline porcelain sign - Mon Nov 15 2010 11:30 AM
Rick,
Thanks for posting the auction number.

Interested bidders,
Please copy the number and paste it into the eBay search box at the bottom of this page. Click "Go" and you're at the auction.
Your extra effort to search for eBay items this way is what pays the bills to keep this site running. Thanks!
Posted By: LOWright Re: Blue Bonnet Gasoline porcelain sign - Mon Nov 15 2010 12:33 PM
Thanks Jim,
I learn something new on here everday! I use to take the long way.
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: Blue Bonnet Gasoline porcelain sign - Mon Nov 15 2010 12:46 PM
WOW! LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE SAID "RARE" AND QUITE THE FIND! AS A SIGN COLLECTOR, I AM INTERESTED TO SEE WHERE THIS ONE GOES AT THE END OF THE AUCTION.

GOOD LUCK! wink
Posted By: advertologist Re: Blue Bonnet Gasoline porcelain sign - Fri Nov 19 2010 01:49 AM
Blue bonnet is now at 2031.
Posted By: bppierce Re: Blue Bonnet Gasoline porcelain sign - Fri Nov 19 2010 02:45 AM
Guess the seller shouldn't have taken the advice to clean up this rare sign...

Quote:

Q: After copying the photo on oldgas, I noticed you've put it on Ebay - but oiled or coated the sign to make it look glossy with strong color, trying to make bidders believe it's a better sign than it really is. If you don't add the original photo to Ebay, or qualify in your description the sign is oiled and glossy darker colors than it is, I'm sending the original photo to Ebay with a complaint. If deception isn't you intent, you will fix this error in your listing. Thanks. Nov-15-10

A: When I purchased this sign it was very dirty. It took a lot of cleaning with soap & water, comet, and mineral oil. The colors you see in the picture are the true colors of the sign. The cleaning and oil did not enhance the colors. I take offense as to what you are implying.
Posted By: HI-OCTANE Re: Blue Bonnet Gasoline porcelain sign - Fri Nov 19 2010 10:54 AM
Well, he sez he did use mineral oil on it. Any time you put oil on a sign like that it is going to bring out the colors more but only for a day or so. So he is misrepresenting this sign.
Posted By: BBQ Chicken Re: Blue Bonnet Gasoline porcelain sign - Fri Nov 19 2010 11:54 AM
I saw one in Tennessee in a little better shape, I offered the guy $5000 for it and he said no........ this was about 5 years ago......
Posted By: gasoildude Re: Blue Bonnet Gasoline porcelain sign - Sat Nov 20 2010 01:26 PM
It looks like it is doing well smile
Posted By: Jolly-John Re: Blue Bonnet Gasoline porcelain sign - Sat Nov 20 2010 02:12 PM
It looks like the seller of the Blue Bonnet sign is more of a gas/oil expert than we all knew. He states "Only one known of" in his eBay description!! In the future, I feel all Old Gas inquiries about item rarity should be directed to this guy.
Posted By: bppierce Re: Blue Bonnet Gasoline porcelain sign - Sat Nov 20 2010 03:30 PM
Didn't he come here to ask the experts and just repeated the information he got?
Quote:
Welcome to Oldgas. Cool sign but I've never seen one.
Quote:
Welcome aboard....unique sign..cool
Quote:
Could be a new discovery, never seen before.
Quote:
I have researched Bluebonnet Oil for a number of years with out finding much.
Quote:
No info, but no doubt it is a very valuable sign even in that condition.
Quote:
I agree that is a very rare sign.
Quote:
WOW! LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE SAID "RARE" AND QUITE THE FIND!
Posted By: advertologist Re: Blue Bonnet Gasoline porcelain sign - Mon Nov 22 2010 08:38 PM
2 days left ... blue bonnet at 3605.
Posted By: Coops 427 Re: Blue Bonnet Gasoline porcelain sign - Wed Nov 24 2010 10:19 PM
Sold for $5,300!!! Nice sign.
Posted By: advertologist Re: Blue Bonnet Gasoline porcelain sign - Wed Nov 24 2010 10:44 PM
alot of money for a sign with bullet holes in it.
condition & rarity....has the rarity going for it.
never seen another one
Posted By: tracy terrell Re: Blue Bonnet Gasoline porcelain sign - Wed Nov 24 2010 11:16 PM
Just for the record I wasn't able to buy this sign from the picker and I didn't list it on Ebay. The picker did. I posted the question about info on Blue Bonnet Gas and value. I'm very impressed with the Oldgas forum. I too am very surprised by the ebay auction. Thanks for all the replies.
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: Blue Bonnet Gasoline porcelain sign - Thu Nov 25 2010 12:27 AM
I HAD A FEELING THERE WAS GONNA BE SOME BIG #'S THROWN AT IT IN THE END.

STILL HAD A COUPLE HOURS TO GO AND IT WAS STILL AROUND $3.600.

I FIGURED IT WOULD DEF TOP $5,000.00
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Blue Bonnet Gasoline porcelain sign - Thu Nov 25 2010 03:39 AM
Hhmmmmmm?? I wonder if we'll ever see it again?
Posted By: Craig Osbeck Re: Blue Bonnet Gasoline porcelain sign - Thu Nov 25 2010 02:20 PM
$5300 Wow! Porcelain signs still bringing the big bucks,
Posted By: gasoildude Re: Blue Bonnet Gasoline porcelain sign - Thu Nov 25 2010 02:22 PM
Well the final hammer went down at $5300. I knew it would do well smile
Posted By: Don Beaver Re: Blue Bonnet Gasoline porcelain sign - Thu Nov 25 2010 02:46 PM
Wonder if the new owner will restore it or leave it alone? One of the tings I do not understand is why the high bidder would place 5 bids over a 6 day period on a high dollar item like this? His last bid was with 12 seconds to go. It would seem to me that he just drove the price up higher I would have bid my 5300.00 or what ever he bid with 12 seconds to go and left it at that. I'm sure he would have got it for less if he had of waited and bid just once with 12 seconds to go. Would like to hear some other thoughts or opinions on this.
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Blue Bonnet Gasoline porcelain sign - Thu Nov 25 2010 03:07 PM
You're right Don but some people don't understand the sniping system. Also he could have been completely in the dark on value and just kept bidding to find that out.
If final price was no object, he could have fired in 10 thou at the end and probably saved some money.
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: Blue Bonnet Gasoline porcelain sign - Thu Nov 25 2010 03:51 PM
HE HAD ANGST IN HIS PANTS! HAHAHAHAHA!
Posted By: advertologist Re: Blue Bonnet Gasoline porcelain sign - Thu Nov 25 2010 04:06 PM
Maybe the high bidder was a shield
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Blue Bonnet Gasoline porcelain sign - Thu Nov 25 2010 04:33 PM
I think Randy Nailed it.
Posted By: mikeschevy6673 Re: Blue Bonnet Gasoline porcelain sign - Sat Dec 14 2019 01:43 PM
I have the oil can that matches your sign
Posted By: Dave Rowlison Re: Blue Bonnet Gasoline porcelain sign - Sun Dec 15 2019 09:17 AM

Blue Bonnet & Blue Ribbon dual branded map

I would like to see a picture of the can .

Dave

Attached picture Blue Bonnet-Blue Ribbon GA-mw 1941.jpg
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk