Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: eric grinder Richfield 6 ft round sign...do they exist? - Mon Aug 02 2010 11:42 PM
Well I have been offered a huge 6 ft round Richfield sign. I actually went to look at it the other day and it seemed odd. The paint had a faded look to it but it's defenetly an old porcelain round sign just like the common Gulf or Texaco 6 foot round ones out there. What seemed odd is that there were what felt like raised edges where the paint seams were which led me to think it might have been a repainted sign from something else? I didnt get to take a pic...sorry. It is double sided however with no lusterof a finish very flat faded looking. If it was painted then they did a damn great job. I just need ot know if Richfield ever had a 6 ft round sign and can someone link me a pic..thank you a bunch.
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: Richfield 6 ft round sign...do they exist? - Mon Aug 02 2010 11:55 PM
the few Richfields I have ever found were always faded, never did find a nice one. Pictures are a must.
MINE 6IX FOOTER WAS FADED TOO....PAID A $100 FOR IT AND REPAINTED ONE SIDE SO IT LOOKED PRESENTABLE ON MY FENCE.

Posted By: eric grinder Re: Richfield 6 ft round sign...do they exist? - Tue Aug 03 2010 12:03 AM
I know I forgot my phone when I took a look at it. From the quick research I have dont I havent seen a 6 ft round one...although if you say the porcelain ones fade then this make more sense. I've seen some pretty ratty Gulf and Texaco signs and the parst that werent rusted or missing still seemed to have that porcelain shine. I didnt think porcelain faded this bad. No way to bring it back huh??
Posted By: eric grinder Re: Richfield 6 ft round sign...do they exist? - Tue Aug 03 2010 12:05 AM
well american there it is...they do exist...you have the one I looked at.. but yep..its faded far worse than that.
ERIC, YOU SHOULD SEE THE OTHER SIDE! IT'S FADED QUTE BAD. YOU'RE SEEING THE PAINTED SIDE.
Posted By: eric grinder Re: Richfield 6 ft round sign...do they exist? - Tue Aug 03 2010 12:34 AM
Probably looks exactly like the one I'm getting. Same price too...lol. What kind of paint did you use and how did you paint it?
Posted By: cmeon66 Re: Richfield 6 ft round sign...do they exist? - Tue Aug 03 2010 01:20 AM
Doc,thats a pretty strong fence you've got there. Looks great though.
Posted By: badgas Re: Richfield 6 ft round sign...do they exist? - Tue Aug 03 2010 03:59 AM
Originally Posted By: eric grinder
Probably looks exactly like the one I'm getting. Same price too...lol. What kind of paint did you use and how did you paint it?

I just had a porcelain Coca Cola tabletop clear coated at my friend's body shop. The painter scuffed it lightly, then degreased it. After that, he shot several coats of Glasurit urethane automotive clear. He sanded each coat of clear after it dried. Some of the clear coats didn't turn out as planned as there was a minor reaction. He just kept sanding and painting until it was glossy. Once the final coat dried, he wetsanded and polished it. I think there are 4-5 coats of clear on that tabletop. He also filled in and painted some of the minor chips in the porcelain. It turned out better than I expected. I'll post pictures of it in a separate post.

This procedure should work on your sign as well.
ERIC, I JUST USED TRUE VALUE HARDWARE'S "X-O RUST" BRAND OF OIL BASED PAINT. IT'S BEEN ON THE FENCE FOR ABOUT TWO YEARS. HOWEVER, SINCE IT'S PAINT OVER PORCELAIN, IT'LL BE THE FIRST SIGN THAT GETS MOLD ON IT AND I HAVE TO WIPE IT DOWN 2X A YEAR WITH A WATER AND BLEACH MIX....I MEAN IT IS IN THE SHADE LOL!
Posted By: gasoildude Re: Richfield 6 ft round sign...do they exist? - Tue Aug 03 2010 09:05 PM
Looks good there Doc smile
Posted By: Kosmo Re: Richfield 6 ft round sign...do they exist? - Wed Aug 04 2010 06:31 PM
If you're getting it for $100 you can't go wrong!
Posted By: als350demo Re: Richfield 6 ft round sign...do they exist? - Thu Nov 11 2010 11:11 AM
i have 2 6foot richfield signs which are double sided also so they exsist but i have yet to see any pics on the web ,i have only seen the one in here on the fence and only other one that i saw was in a picture at a collecters show.dont know the rarety of these but i was offered 1100.00 for the pair.
Posted By: als350demo Re: Richfield 6 ft round sign...do they exist? - Thu Nov 11 2010 11:24 AM
my pics are to big to post on here but you can always email me if you want to see them.
Originally Posted By: als350demo
my pics are to big to post on here but you can always email me if you want to see them.

IF YOU USE IMAGE SHACK OR PHOTOBUCKET, THEY HAVE AN OPTION WHERE THEY WILL RESIZE (SCALE DOWN) YOUR LARGE PHOTO FILES WHEN YOU CHECK THE BOX BEFORE YOU UPLOAD INTO THEIR SYSTEM FOR POSTING HERE LATER.
Posted By: 1PetroFan Re: Richfield 6 ft round sign...do they exist? - Thu Nov 11 2010 02:59 PM
I have seen a couple 6' Richfield signs and like everyone else has said - major fading. Kieth Johnson had one for sale at CTO a few years ago, I found one in Hagerstown Md for sale last year that had fair gloss but a lot of missing porcelain and a guy I know found one in Martinsburg WV last year that was painted over years ago, it was in good shape and he got about $1600 for it. The buyer wanted it for it's local history, so that can really skew the real value. I would like to get one for $100... Brady
Posted By: Don Beaver Richfield 6 ft round sign...do they exist? - Thu Nov 11 2010 05:27 PM
Here are pictures of the signs in question, I have received a few phone calls and emails about these signs in the last couple of days.

Attached picture Richfield 3.jpg
Attached picture Richfield 4.jpg
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk