Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Christi Need Help Selling Gas Collectibles - Sat Jan 30 2010 02:22 PM
I am in Atlanta, Georgia and need some direction as to how to sell a collection of signs, pumps, etc. My husband was a member for a while on this site and this is why I have chosen this forum to ask for help. He passed away on December 10, 2009 after taking his own life. His name was Rick Berrong, but I am not sure what his user name on Old Gas was. I have two children and he had been out of work for 1-1/2 years and now I have to sell this collection and am trying to find the best way to go about doing this. I hope anyone may have some tips and suggestions for me. I have multiple signs, gas pumps, coke machine, RC cola machine, and a lot of Sinclair items, and other miscellaneous items. If anyone can tell me how to get a picture on this post I can attach those, I simply could not figure out how to add them to this posting. Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Christi
Posted By: Blackout Re: Need Help Selling Gas Collectibles - Sat Jan 30 2010 02:40 PM
Hi Christi, Sorry for your loss. If you have alot of items 1 option is to contact Dan Matthews at Matthews auctions for auction advise. You can email pics.to me or another member and we can get the pics. up for you. There is also a forum on here that tells how to add pics. also, just do not know how to add that link here.
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Need Help Selling Gas Collectibles - Sat Jan 30 2010 02:43 PM
Christi--First off, my condolences to you and the rest of Ricks family. A death is never an easy thing, especially under those circumstances.
If your husbands collection was very large, I'd recommend one of the larger auctions held in the US during a big gas & Oil show (like Iowa Gas). If its a smaller collection, you can sell it off, piece by piece but you have the hassle of shipping all those pieces. You can start by posting some pieces here on Old Gas, but you're limited to the membership and only those that are viewing that day! There is a section at the top of the page called Shop Talk Help and it explains picture posting on there.
Hopefully, you have a family friend that can give you a fair estimate on value of items, so that you have an idea as to where you're headed. Ebay is of course, always an option but has several headaches that go along with it.
There are some members on this site that are capable of buying the whole collection and then reselling it piece by piece around the country. It all depends on the size and quality of the collection and your needs for the funds, that will direct as to how you should do it. The membership on this site will be more than willing to give you all the help that they can. If you have any more questions, feel free to call me at: 701-662-4386---again, my condolences--KEVIN
Posted By: Blackout Re: Need Help Selling Gas Collectibles - Sat Jan 30 2010 02:44 PM
Christi here is the Link to add pictures.
http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=134504#Post134504
I hope all goes well for you and we'll do the best to help with any questions you have.
Posted By: Vermonter Re: Need Help Selling Gas Collectibles - Sat Jan 30 2010 03:01 PM
Hi Christi,
Very sorry to hear about your loss. In addition to the suggestions above, you can click on "Collectors" at the top of the page, then "Georgia". It will list people who may be interested in buying the collection who are near you. Just be sure that you have an opinion on the value from several people before you agree on a price. Generally, its not a good idea to have just the person interested in buying the collection tell you what its worth.
If you can get the pics posted, the guys here are knowledgeable and helpful and will be able to at least give you a ballpark figure on value. If you cant figure it out, dont be shy about emailing them to a member who will post them for you.
John
Posted By: hillsideshortleg Re: Need Help Selling Gas Collectibles - Sat Jan 30 2010 03:06 PM
Christi
Very sorry about your loss. I had a freind that was in a simular situation. Please get multiple opinions before you make your desision. Vultures dont just look like birds. My friends widow made some desisions during her grief that she regreated later. Please be Very careful and get the most out of your collection.
Our prayers will be with you.
Rick & Jeannie Nelson
Posted By: Vermonter Re: Need Help Selling Gas Collectibles - Sat Jan 30 2010 03:08 PM
By the way Christi, your husband's member name here was Rick Berrong. He just used his real name.
John
Posted By: hotcidr Re: Need Help Selling Gas Collectibles - Sat Jan 30 2010 03:08 PM
Good morning Christi. My thoughts and prayers are with you. My daughter is Christie.
My thoughts and what I would advise my wife is to contact Dan Matthews of Matthews Auctions... danm@matthewsauctions.com as you will get the best price for your goods as well as not having to "piece" them out and pack and ship.
Best Wishes
Ray
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: Need Help Selling Gas Collectibles - Sat Jan 30 2010 03:28 PM
Christi, I too want to offer my condolences for your loss. Since you live in the greater Atlanta area, you might want to contact an auction house with a very good reputation and ask for an appraisal from them and/or from your Insurance Company. This would give you a starting point to work from and for the most part you will be getting as close to accurate numbers as possible from someone who isn't acting in their own best interests. Just remember that an appraisal is an estimate of worth, not a guarantee of worth. With the economy and such one may or may not meet or exceed the appraisal. Not sure if my ramblings have helped you or not.
Posted By: gasoildude Re: Need Help Selling Gas Collectibles - Sat Jan 30 2010 03:52 PM
Christi all the above advice is good as for selling the idems. I am also saddened by your loss. I have talked to Rick a time or two & might of sold him a couple small idems in the past. I think Dan Matthews is your best bet or if he cant do it he will lead you in the right direction. If you need help with any pictures feel free to email them to me at bradleywralston@hotmail.com Here is Dans info below if you decide to go that route. Hang in there & my thoughts & prayers are with you & your family. Brad Ralston

Matthews Auctions, LLC.
111 S. Oak St.
Nokomis, Il. 62075

Phone: 217-563-8880
Toll Free: 1-877-968-8880
Fax: 630-206-0395

Email: info@matthewsauctions.com
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: Need Help Selling Gas Collectibles - Sat Jan 30 2010 04:01 PM
SORRY TO LEARN OF YOUR LOSS, I RECALL THE NAME. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR SELLING PROCESS!
Posted By: publicenemy1925 Re: Need Help Selling Gas Collectibles - Sat Jan 30 2010 04:06 PM
Christi, I'm deeply sorry for your loss. I wish you the best of luck with finding the right help to sell you stuff.
Posted By: philmccauley Re: Need Help Selling Gas Collectibles - Sat Jan 30 2010 04:14 PM
Christi, I will add the same, sorry for your family's loss. There are no words to ease the pain. I know Dan Matthews well and has always been truthful and outgoing to help. I would contact him, there are also collectors on this site from GA that may be close and interested. As stated, send some photos and get some opinions on value before pricing for private sale. Dan is very helpful there also. I hope it all works out well for you.
Posted By: oldnfuelish Re: Need Help Selling Gas Collectibles - Sat Jan 30 2010 06:53 PM
Christi.i am also sad to hear of your loss.remember many of Ricks posts.our prayers are with you also.agree with the others Dan will help to get you good prices for the collection.mick and maria dschida
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: Need Help Selling Gas Collectibles - Sat Jan 30 2010 09:38 PM
I welcome you to this site Christi,but so wish it was under happier circumstances.
I'm sure Rick is in a better place now.
Posted By: Dale Stephens Re: Need Help Selling Gas Collectibles - Sat Jan 30 2010 10:24 PM
Christi:
So sorry for your loss and especially under the circumstances. Good advice has already been mentioned on the disposal of your husband's collection. What ever you decide, I hope it works out for you....Dale
Posted By: kentjay56 Re: Need Help Selling Gas Collectibles - Sat Jan 30 2010 11:57 PM
Christi: Very good advice from the guys here. Just take your time so as to make a good choice in your mind. Kent.
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: Need Help Selling Gas Collectibles - Sun Jan 31 2010 06:49 AM
At this time you need the least amount of hassel and I would like to add my name to the list recommending Dan Matthews.

Jack Sim
Posted By: Gas stuff.com Re: Need Help Selling Gas Collectibles - Sun Jan 31 2010 11:34 AM
Dan Matthews is the best at what he does. Honest and fair and will get it done quick.
Posted By: 32 gas Re: Need Help Selling Gas Collectibles - Mon Feb 01 2010 02:04 AM
I live in the ATLANTA area. I would like the opportunity to see the collection. I sent you a PM. or 770-633-3418. Ronny
Posted By: VEEDOL_AL1 Re: Need Help Selling Gas Collectibles - Mon Feb 01 2010 03:02 AM
I HAVE DEALT WITH DAN AND HE IS A OUTSTANDING MAN TO DEAL WITH AND HONEST!!! YOU NEED SOMEONE WHO YOU CAN TRUST NOW!!!I`M VERY SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR LOSS,,RICK WAS A TRUE GENTLEMAN AND I HAVE HAD MANY DEALINGS WITH HIM,,,,, ALAN
Posted By: Seth Robbins Re: Need Help Selling Gas Collectibles - Mon Feb 01 2010 03:08 AM
Christi...while I have no problem with Matthews, I'd suggest Jim Daniel Auctions in Sylvester Georgia. www.danielauctioncompany.com or (229) 776-7972.

I've been to his auctions, and for my money, he runs the best onsite sale I've seen. Being in the Atlanta area, I'd think he'd be perfect.
Posted By: Jarvis Re: Need Help Selling Gas Collectibles - Mon Feb 01 2010 11:42 AM
Christi, Sorry for your family's loss. Shame he took his own life and left behind wife and kids. There are no words anyone can say that will ease your pain.
I know Dan Matthews well and If something would happen to me i would hope my wife would call Dan. Dan does more gas and oil auctions than anyone! I feel like Dan can get you the most money for the items as people trust him as he has knowledge in this hobby.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk