Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: GermanPetroRookie Hi from Germany to all shop talker - Sun Oct 14 2007 07:51 PM
Hi
this is Andy from germany...
we also have a big scene in historic cars and petroliana....

just finished a 100qm garage 3 years ago and since this try to fill it up with matching deko.....

Greetings
andy
Posted By: nochevys Re: Hi from Germany to all shop talker - Sun Oct 14 2007 07:56 PM
Welcome to the best darn petro sight on the internet GermanPetroRookie.Nice car! Post away there's lots of nice people around here,Enjoy yourself.

Welcome aboard,
Tom
Posted By: st.rod Re: Hi from Germany to all shop talker - Sun Oct 14 2007 08:01 PM
Welcome Andy!

My goodness a '59 Coupe Deville convertible! Very Impressive anywhere in the world.

Larry
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: Hi from Germany to all shop talker - Sun Oct 14 2007 08:01 PM
Have you ever been to the Schneitzel House?

Jack Sim
Author, Gas Pump Identification book and Air Meter Identification book
Need a gas pump parts manual? www.petrolianacollectibles.com
Posted By: GermanPetroRookie Re: Hi from Germany to all shop talker - Sun Oct 14 2007 08:13 PM
Hi Jack..

You mean "SCHNITZELHOUSE" ??????

here in this area ???

Yes Jack...Long ago ....
I´m surprised you know this place ( if so...)
andy
Posted By: tallgye49 Re: Hi from Germany to all shop talker - Sun Oct 14 2007 08:26 PM
Andy-- Don't gore yourself on the fins of that Caddy. I'll trade you and unrestored 40's pump for some black Forest cuckoo clocks. Just kidding. Lotsa helpful guys on this site. Dave Folck (ancestors left Hamburg, Germany in 1760s for Philadelphia)
Posted By: dodogas Re: Hi from Germany to all shop talker - Sun Oct 14 2007 08:34 PM
Grusse aus Kanada..

Schoenes "oldies" sammelerstuck...!!
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Hi from Germany to all shop talker - Sun Oct 14 2007 08:44 PM
Welcome to Oldgas.com Shop Talk, Andy!

Nice Caddy. I worked at a Cadillac dealer body shop back in the late 1960s. It took 3 men to replace one of those giant chrome bumpers. Love those fins! Show us more.

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Posted By: GermanPetroRookie Re: Hi from Germany to all shop talker - Sun Oct 14 2007 08:47 PM
Hey Tallguy49..

I´ll take you serious...
You have no idea HOW MANY Blackforestcuckoos a certified german watchmaker stores in his attic...

You guy´s in the us got the nicest pumps in the world....

Andy
Posted By: GermanPetroRookie Re: Hi from Germany to all shop talker - Sun Oct 14 2007 08:52 PM
Hey Jim...
Wow.. Caddydealer in the 60ies \ great...

tell me Jim
What kinda people bought Caddies at that time....
only the sophisticated older people ???
is it true that only the wealthy could afford this brand ????
Posted By: oldnfuelish Re: Hi from Germany to all shop talker - Sun Oct 14 2007 09:08 PM
welcome andy! man that is a nice caddy!relatives from austria way back when.sometimes when i say my name is dschida people say gueisentiet!lookin forward to seen some of your collection!!mick
Posted By: GermanPetroRookie Re: Hi from Germany to all shop talker - Sun Oct 14 2007 09:09 PM
...attached my first project

It´s a Esso pump made by the "schwelmer Eisenwerke in 1957 ( found at the local ebay )
Enamel was ok, nozzle was missing screen was broken , frame was rusted...
After 50 hours of painting, polishing , sanding and replacing- my first Petrolianaproject was completed....
Posted By: GermanPetroRookie Re: Hi from Germany to all shop talker - Sun Oct 14 2007 09:12 PM
..sorry guys..
right now - no better pic in stock....
( will go for it these days...)

Andy
Posted By: GermanPetroRookie Re: Hi from Germany to all shop talker - Sun Oct 14 2007 09:32 PM
This weekend we got our "little HERSHEY" here it´s called the VETERAMA ( veterama.de )
I´ts the biggest happening in europe.....

Met a feller named Arno Saager\ the craziest Petronut I know ( tankdienst.com )....
He has a complete house\ every room another brand of Petro... )
He delivered the parts for my esso in 04....

Ok..this was the PETRONEWS FROM GERMANY...
..don´t know if its for you guys of some interest....
Andy
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Hi from Germany to all shop talker - Sun Oct 14 2007 09:35 PM
Hi Andy,
Cadillacs were the classy car of the times back then. Lincoln was a close competitor. Mercedes were not being imported into the US in big numbers then. No Lexus or Infinity until much later. If you were wealthy and wanted to show it, Cadillac or Lincoln was the car. Of course, some people who aspired to be somebody bought them too. Our dealership had their own finance company who would finance almost anyone. Then they would repo the car after one payment was missed. We often sold the same car several times in a year. Sell, repo, sell, repo, etc. Not just older people owned them. Young rock stars like Elvis and Chuck Berry all had Caddys.

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Posted By: GermanPetroRookie Re: Hi from Germany to all shop talker - Sun Oct 14 2007 09:43 PM
thanx Jim

In Germany in the 50ties and 60ies I was told ...
The american soldiers arrived with their fullsizecars...
smashed them right on the next corner of those "damned small and narrow lanes"...and traded them for a Volkswagen .........
Posted By: Thunder II Re: Hi from Germany to all shop talker - Sun Oct 14 2007 09:56 PM
Welcome aboard GermanPetroRookie. Thats a Super Garage that you have there. Mine looks more like a old warehouse, falling down over a junkyard..... I like the tile floor in your. Oh... I like the car, the pump, and all the other stuff too.
Posted By: Thunder II Re: Hi from Germany to all shop talker - Sun Oct 14 2007 10:03 PM
WOW!!!!! Check out that site!!!!! http://tankdienst.com/index.html
WAY COOOOL!!!!! How can I get that translated????
Posted By: oldnfuelish Re: Hi from Germany to all shop talker - Sun Oct 14 2007 10:16 PM
very cool.guessi'll have to call my pop and get him to come over and translate it for me1
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Hi from Germany to all shop talker - Sun Oct 14 2007 10:28 PM
Copy that link and paste it into the "Translate a Web Page" box on Babelfish:
http://babelfish.altavista.com/

Select "German to English" from the drop down menu.

Take care not to put in "http" twice.

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Posted By: VEEDOL_AL1 Re: Hi from Germany to all shop talker - Sun Oct 14 2007 11:27 PM
welcome andy-----do you have any veedol items???i know veedol was big in germany???? hope you continue to post in the future..alan
Posted By: GermanPetroRookie Re: Hi from Germany to all shop talker - Mon Oct 15 2007 05:00 AM
Hi Veedol Al...

Veedol stuff is very pricy here...

The only item I got right now is a copy of a veedol girl of the fiftys (tinsheet)....

Yesterday on the market I felt that all tin signs gained in price over the last two years....

It´s grown hard to shot bargains...
two weeks ago I grapped a SHELL enamel sign ( about 1,60 m x 0,30 in good condition at only 80.- Euros ( 70.- $ ) at a fleamarket...
The same sign at the Veterama ( asked 350.-Euros)....

Andy
Posted By: +Chris Holt Re: Hi from Germany to all shop talker - Mon Oct 15 2007 09:07 AM
Welcome to the site Petrorookie , your buddy has a Great looking collection . his house is full .
Posted By: GermanPetroRookie Re: Hi from Germany to all shop talker - Mon Oct 15 2007 09:50 AM
Hey Thunder !!!!

I WANNA SEE THE FALLEN WAREHOUSE !!!!!!!
Posted By: dodogas Re: Hi from Germany to all shop talker - Mon Oct 15 2007 02:00 PM
I know where there is a VEEDOL Emailie cabinet in nice condition. Do you know what they are worth in Europe??

Comes up to eye height, about 1 metre wide Veedol logos on it , cream in color..porcelain finish..
Posted By: GermanPetroRookie Re: Hi from Germany to all shop talker - Mon Oct 15 2007 02:14 PM
Dodo from the maple leaf country , eh ????

Just saw a veedol cabinet at a german market in good condition (the guy was asking 1100 .- $

Andy
Posted By: dodogas Re: Hi from Germany to all shop talker - Mon Oct 15 2007 02:40 PM
Andy, It is in nice condition, he brought it over from Germany.

They are nice cabinets, also saw a pic of a Castrol somewhere..

How much are those little moped visibles going for over there?? do you have pics of them??

My family is from Germany after the war, most of the family is still there.. My wife is from Neu-Anspach, I have been there a few times.
Posted By: rvanpelt Re: Hi from Germany to all shop talker - Mon Oct 15 2007 11:10 PM
Willkommen, Andy.
Toll! Schönes Auto und Tanksäule!!
Ich bin einmal in Kaiserslautern gewesen...eine schöne Stadt!
Es gefällt uns dass Sie bei uns gemeldet sind.
Herzliche Grüsse aus Nebraska!
Rod van Pelt

------------------
Posted By: GermanPetroRookie Re: Hi from Germany to all shop talker - Tue Oct 16 2007 06:22 AM
Dodo...Sorry not related to the moped thing...
dont know moped priced but here ar alot
coming up of these stuff...

Andy
Posted By: GermanPetroRookie Re: Hi from Germany to all shop talker - Tue Oct 16 2007 06:48 AM
Thanx Rod...

A guy from Netherlands in Nebraska ???
How did you get there ???
Posted By: rvanpelt Re: Hi from Germany to all shop talker - Tue Oct 16 2007 11:03 AM
Andy, my folks on Dad's side came from present day German/Dutch boarder area to US in the 1600s, gradually moving west and Mom's side from Sweden 1880s. Both sides "homesteaded" here in Nebraska in late 1888 because of cheap land to farm.
I Would like to see more pics of your collection. How long have you been collecting?
Have a GREAT Day!
Rod van Pelt

------------------

[This message has been edited by rvanpelt (edited 10-17-2007).]
Posted By: GermanPetroRookie Re: Hi from Germany to all shop talker - Wed Oct 17 2007 02:22 AM
Hey Rod
..still surprised about your perfect german even written !!!!!!

I´m into the car thing since 20 years
when I got a crazy trip to Florida with two Petronuts I was seriously infected ( in 2001 )
but still had no own garage for all the cars..
since 2004 I finished the garage and have enough space to collect decoration....
But I is still a very small coleection...
Andy
Posted By: GermanPetroRookie Re: Hi from Germany to all shop talker - Wed Oct 17 2007 02:26 AM
Since the garage eased up a bunch of bucks.....
( of course the cars also ...)
The petrocollection is still small and prices very high here right now.....)
Posted By: +Chris Holt Re: Hi from Germany to all shop talker - Wed Oct 17 2007 09:10 AM
Nice Garage Andy, What other cars do you have?
Posted By: rvanpelt Re: Hi from Germany to all shop talker - Wed Oct 17 2007 11:10 AM
Andy,
Thanks for the kind words. Only wish it was as good as your English. I've found if you don't use it you will lose it. I write to a few friends living over there.
Are there any German forums like oldgas that I could visit?
Nice Jeep and I love your SL!
You asked what kind of peopl bought Caddys in the late 50s. When my Grandfather died in '56 my grand mother started shopping for a new car and finally decided on a 60 Chrysler New Yorker. Some of us grandkids thought she should get a Caddy instead as the Chrysler was around $5700 and the Caddy was only 58 or 5900, if I remember right. I inherrited the Chrysler and needs restored...someday.
Have a Great Day!
Rod

------------------

[This message has been edited by rvanpelt (edited 10-17-2007).]
Posted By: GermanPetroRookie Re: Hi from Germany to all shop talker - Wed Oct 17 2007 06:32 PM
Hey Rod...

Your german ist even better than my english...

Chrysler New Yorker ???
I participate in a carshow competion some years ago in Frankfurt...
And receive the second price...
The first was a 1960 NEW YORKER ...grrrr !!!!
I´don´t know a Petrolforum in germany....
decide to go to a american one to keep my english alive....
Posted By: rvanpelt Re: Hi from Germany to all shop talker - Wed Oct 17 2007 10:46 PM
Andy,
A Chrysler beating a Caddy?.....UNSINN!!
My Grandmother didn't want people to think that she was a "wealthy widow" so... she bought the Chrysler.
Tschüss!
Rod

------------------
Posted By: dodogas Re: Hi from Germany to all shop talker - Thu Oct 18 2007 02:55 AM
Rod.. I raise you..
one.. GRUSS GOTT.....!!!
Posted By: GermanPetroRookie Re: Hi from Germany to all shop talker - Thu Oct 18 2007 09:56 AM
Hey Rod...

The Chrysler that day had a newer all over restoration and was in a few details better plus it was also the very rare convertible version...
I guess thats why I lost the trophy...
by the way : WAS THE ONLY TROPHY I MISSED AT A SHOW HERE....

"Gruß aus der Pfalz"
Andy
Posted By: rvanpelt Re: Hi from Germany to all shop talker - Thu Oct 18 2007 12:32 PM
Grüss Gott, Moin, Moin, Andy, Dodo und Alle!
Grandma's Chrysler is a 4 door. Not real "sporty" and probably not very collectible just has a lot of memories for me. I don't think I've ever seen a convertible.
One of my wife's cousins has one (one of the many) of Elvis' Caddy convertibles. Can't remember what year it is though.
Thanks, Andy, for the web sites. Lots of cool pics of old stations and pumps. One doesn't need to know German to enjoy them.
Herzliche Grüsse aus Nebraska!
Bis dann.
Rod van Pelt

------------------
Posted By: GermanPetroRookie Re: Hi from Germany to all shop talker - Thu Oct 18 2007 08:23 PM
A Chrysler cf 1960 IS ALLWAYS COLLECTIBLE !!!!!!!
Posted By: rvanpelt Re: Hi from Germany to all shop talker - Tue Oct 23 2007 12:43 PM
Andy,
Here are a couple more free sites/forums for you to visit. http://www2.ezforums.org/petroliana/ http://cheesepitstop.com/index.php
Bis dann!
Rod van Pelt

------------------
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk