Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Jack Sim I"m getting old - Thu Jul 17 2008 04:21 AM
Well it is 12:01, July 17th so this means I am now working on my 74th year. Don't know what this year will bring. The past year was spent writing two books, more than I have ever done. Don't know if I will write a 3rd edition of the Gas Pump Book, only if the publisher will expand the book beyond 352 pages.

I have enough pictures of pumps made after 1965, and pumps that were not included in the last book to publish another, but I really don't think it will happen.

Trying to purchase original gas pump literature has become very difficult. Guys on Ebay are paying $150.00 for a piece of literature that has three pictures in it. No one can afford to pay $50.00 each for pictures to put in a book such as mine.

I know that Scott Anderson probably has a great collection of original gas pump literature. I hope I live long enough to see his collection put into a book form.

Thanks to all of you who purchased a copy of my book from me,

Jack Sim www.petrolianacollectibles.com
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: I"m getting old - Thu Jul 17 2008 04:40 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY JACK

Something most guys don't realize, but Jack dated pumps by Original pump company literature. Not Patent dates. Most pumps had been in production several years before a Patent was applied for or issued.
Posted By: Doug Re: I"m getting old - Thu Jul 17 2008 09:38 AM
Old is only a larger number. Never retire, just find more projects that you never seem to get done. Happy b-day Jack, I had one last week too.
Posted By: JOSBORN Re: I"m getting old - Thu Jul 17 2008 10:03 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY JACK!
Posted By: oldnfuelish Re: I"m getting old - Thu Jul 17 2008 10:14 AM
happy birthday to you!!and many more......
Posted By: Oldgas Re: I"m getting old - Thu Jul 17 2008 10:18 AM
Happy Birthday, Jack! Hope you have many more. Thanks for all you've done for the hobby.

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Posted By: tx_oil Re: I"m getting old - Thu Jul 17 2008 11:05 AM
Happy Birthday, Jack!!!

Magnificent job on the new pump book. We know that it was a LOT of hard work for you but your labor has produced THE reference work for our hobby. THANK YOU!!

------------------
Robert Usrey
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: I"m getting old - Thu Jul 17 2008 11:27 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JACK!

HOPE TO ORDER THE NEW BOOK ONCE I GET MOVED. CAN'T EVEN THINK ABOUT BUYING ANY PUMPS NOW OR EVEN CARRYING AN EXTRA BOOK WITH ME.

ALL THE BEST AND MANY MORE!

NEXT YEAR WILL BE 3/4'S OF A CENTURY!

~DOC
Posted By: texaspelican Re: I"m getting old - Thu Jul 17 2008 11:48 AM
Happy Birthday Jack....thanks for all you do.....Luv the new book. see ya at Iowa

------------------
Paddy
WTB Billups, Ride with Rose, Spar, Canal, Gulf Coast, and Galtex gas and Oil related items.
Posted By: Larry Nace Re: I"m getting old - Thu Jul 17 2008 12:09 PM
Top Of The Morning To You, Jack. Wishing you a great **Happy Birthday**. Also wanted to let you know that I am enjoying your last book. Thanks for all of your hard work. It was a labor of love for the hobby. Even though while you were working on your book, you still took the time to answer calls and emails. Thanks to you also for doing that. The last time we talked, you mentioned you were thinking about doing a book on gas station islands, accessories and etc. I think that would be a great book for your 75th! WOW...3/4 of a century. Keep up the good work..great job!! Hope you have a wonderful birthday...and many,many more! Larry
Posted By: rvanpelt Re: I"m getting old - Thu Jul 17 2008 12:09 PM
Happy Birthday, Jack! Hope there will be many more and thanks so much for your second book.
Rod

------------------
Posted By: petroman Re: I"m getting old - Thu Jul 17 2008 12:34 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY JACK

Many people has half of your age and live for nothing because they don't have any interests.
"We shall never surrender," said Sir Winston Churchill during World War II. The most important in our life is the purpose and I believe that you'll can still write a 3rd edition of the Gas Pump Book. I have your 1st edition and I am glad for your Great contribution that help collectors.

Many thanks Jack!!
Enrico
Posted By: +Chris Holt Re: I"m getting old - Thu Jul 17 2008 01:14 PM
Happy Birthday jack and many more to come .Your books have become one of the tools of this hobby,And what a tool it is , Its the first thing we pick up before we bring any pump or oil dispenser home.For Me its the Sears Dream Catalog ,I page through it for what I want and for what I'll never get ,As well as being the center of countless hours of great conversation with friends and a Cold Beer , its a benchmark for pricing as well as a Picture to give us a completed look when it comes to our restorations.Theres nothing more I could ask for You've done a great service to the hobby Jack, If another Book is in the works Put me down for one ,If not maybe someone will pick up the ball and run with it, either way you've done good and I appreciate it Greatly ,Keep up the great work Jack and again Happy Birthday ,I hope your day is filled with the love of your family and Friends.
Posted By: blacktee Re: I"m getting old - Thu Jul 17 2008 01:49 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY JACK !!!

Chris H. couldn't have said it any better. Sure wish I could write like that.

Have a great day, it's all yours !

Doug
Posted By: oltoydoc@vintagegas.com Re: I"m getting old - Thu Jul 17 2008 02:29 PM
You have been a great asset to this community Jack! Happy Birthday, and thanks for all you do.
Don

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
(310)415-9562 Cel.
Vintage Gas
Posted By: DCpate Re: I"m getting old - Thu Jul 17 2008 02:35 PM
Just wanted to come out of the woodwork and also wish you a Happy Birthday.

You've done tremendous things for the hobby which will be remembered for as long as people collect this stuff...
Posted By: Philip Re: I"m getting old - Thu Jul 17 2008 11:36 PM
Happy B-day!!

Thank you so much for what you've done for our beloved hobby!!!
Posted By: Tara Worsham Re: I"m getting old - Fri Jul 18 2008 12:51 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JACK!!! Hope it's been a great day! :-)
Tara
Posted By: 5 quart Re: I"m getting old - Fri Jul 18 2008 12:47 PM
Hi Jack- Happy Birthday- Great to see another Middle aged Old Gasser still at it- You got me by 2 Years as of July 4th-{ hope everyone enjoyed my day off} Im not much on pumps and air meters but love your books-I forgot to get you to sign my air meter book at Columbus- thanks Don

------------------
Wanted 5 quart cans
Posted By: FrankSargent Re: I"m getting old - Sat Jul 19 2008 01:00 AM
Happy "Middle Age"... 74 is the new "50"... Looking forward to many more years of your wisdom and contribution to our hobby...
Happy Birthday...

------------------
Frank
Posted By: aquartlow Re: I"m getting old - Sat Jul 19 2008 01:16 AM
JACK,
Happy Birthday, Jack, hope to see you at Iowa Gas.

Mick
Posted By: bonjimmi Re: I"m getting old - Sat Jul 19 2008 12:45 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY JACK
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: I"m getting old - Sun Jul 20 2008 02:05 AM
Jack is soo old he has CRS [that's also his wife's initials].
He thinks he's 74, but Cindy says he is only 73 !
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk