Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: absolutegex Eco Air Meter Reassembly Issue - Sat Mar 11 2023 07:40 PM
I bought parts from Ron and have an issue with the base when reassembling. I'm not sure if the hole was drilled out wrong, if it was drilled to match his inner tube or whatever else could be the issue. My meter came as it is in the attached picture. The inner tube is 1 1/2 but the hole in the base that I got from Ron has a 1'' hole. I can barely get the electrical tube and the copper line through the 1'' hole and have no room left to crew the inner pipe on if I even had one that was 1''. Also the outer tube I got from Ron is about 27 3/4 tall and my inner pipe is 33 1/4 tall. I know some of it goes up inside the ring and through the base but we're talking about a large gap. Am I missing an adapter or something? Any help would be appreciated.

Attached picture IMG_1943.jpg
Posted By: Ron Scobie Re: Eco Air Meter Reassembly Issue - Sat Mar 11 2023 08:57 PM
Eco 98's ALWAYS used a 1" NPT x 30" pipe as a tie pipe. Most of what I see in your photo DOES NOT BELONG THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: absolutegex Re: Eco Air Meter Reassembly Issue - Sat Mar 11 2023 09:32 PM
I apologize to anyone I have offended. I'm not good with words or writing so I cant explain the situation any better. I can get the correct inner tube size and I can use I smaller tube for the electrical so that I can fit everything through the base, but my top and bottom nut is for a 1 1/2 pipe. I might can find a nut for the top but the bottom one looks like its made specially for the air meter with a notch in it.
Posted By: gasmansgp Re: Eco Air Meter Reassembly Issue - Sun Mar 12 2023 12:08 AM
All Eco 98 air meters use a 1" connecting pipe to attach the base to the meter head. The electrical wire is not in a tube. It is simply run inside the 1" pipe along with the 1/4" copper air line. There is plenty of room for both without the conduit. I have done a bunch of these and never seen such a mess. Remove all the junk that is there and use only the 1" pipe with the larger support pipe to finish. Paul www.severngaspumps.com
Posted By: Ron Scobie Re: Eco Air Meter Reassembly Issue - Sun Mar 12 2023 12:36 AM
Do you have a "flange" or has someone added something else over the years?
Ron

Attached picture Eco98Ped.gif
Posted By: Fueluser Re: Eco Air Meter Reassembly Issue - Sun Mar 12 2023 01:00 AM
It looks like a water hose hanger at the very least and possibly the piece its attached to ,(really need s better picture) is the problem.
Posted By: absolutegex Re: Eco Air Meter Reassembly Issue - Sun Mar 12 2023 01:54 AM
I have the flange yes. I can get better pictures if needed. I thought that the electrical pipe looked odd but I wasn't 100% sure about it because I had seen 1 other with the same pipe in it. Must have been a coincidence. This is the picture of the flange I have, air with water. I can go out to the shop and take a picture of my upper and lower nuts if its needed. I would need a few minutes to take them and upload them to the computer though.

Attached picture IMG_1942.jpg
Attached picture wBWbNOwxRp-9BgD8KBcI-A.jpg
Attached picture ie-00hsVRqShm3l7DNUU4w.jpg
Attached picture URO73n0tR2GdD1yBq7SH3A.jpg
Posted By: absolutegex Re: Eco Air Meter Reassembly Issue - Sun Mar 12 2023 02:23 AM
At 75 years of so old there is no telling what someone did to it. I 100% trust Ron and his knowledge. By the looks of the diagram of Ron's I'm guessing the nut for the bottom in the picture isn't supposed to even be used? I can get the pipe size I need and a nut for the top, but have no idea about this thing.
Posted By: gasmansgp Re: Eco Air Meter Reassembly Issue - Sun Mar 12 2023 02:40 AM
There never was a nut on the bottom. The pipe threads into the base only. What it appears to me is that the thing attached to the pipe is what is left of a broken base? If the pipe is 1" and this thing on the bottom is wider, why not remove this broken piece to expose the 1" threads, then screw it into a good base? I'm thinking that this should be very simple to fix? Paul www.severngaspumps.com
Posted By: absolutegex Re: Eco Air Meter Reassembly Issue - Sun Mar 12 2023 02:57 AM
No its a 1 1/2 pipe without a doubt. I'll be getting a 1'' pipe and getting rid of all the weird *****. The whole thing just screams weird because the flange nut has original orange paint on it but obviously they never used this size pipe. In any case this helps me out now that I know I don't have the correct size pipe and don't need any nut on the bottom. As long as nothing else looks strange to anyone this solves my problem Thank you all for the assistance. To anyone who my read this in the future I highly recommend Ron's parts, his quality parts can't be beaten.
Posted By: Stevo Re: Eco Air Meter Reassembly Issue - Sun Mar 12 2023 03:01 AM
You should have a base that looks something like this , as already mentioned unfortunately the chunk of metal on the end of your pipe is broken out of the base

Attached picture C2B6E714-6FDD-485F-9A6D-1A0F2655423B.jpeg
Posted By: absolutegex Re: Eco Air Meter Reassembly Issue - Sun Mar 12 2023 03:28 AM
It makes sense. I thought it looked like a weld was broken from it or that it broke off of something. I cant imagine the force needed to do such damage. Thanks for the photo. I attempted to look at my fathers old restored 98 model but he had it so close to a concrete foundation that I couldn't get my head low enough to see anything. I dang sure wasn't going to stick my hand in what appeared to be a black widow web to find out either.
Posted By: RandyM Re: Eco Air Meter Reassembly Issue - Sun Mar 12 2023 05:45 PM
You do know that 1" pipe = 1.315 OD?
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk