Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: john deere 6430 Gilbert Barker Visible Pump - Wed Jan 25 2023 12:30 PM
What color glass cylinder would a Gilbert Barker visible pump from the 20's or 30's have?
The original one is very dirty and milky looking. Not sure this one is the original but that is what the owner said.
Would the original one be clear or tinted?
It is rough around the top edge, maybe the way it was cut originally?
Can you get a replacement if this one will not clean up?
Thanks
Posted By: gatorgaspumps Re: Gilbert Barker Visible Pump - Wed Jan 25 2023 03:41 PM
I have had both clear and blue cylinders on G&B pumps. I have never had any trouble cleaning up a cylinder so far. More problems getting them out without breaking them. Unless it's been through a sandstorm you should be OK. Yes, they do have repop cylinders. Good luck. Richard
Posted By: john deere 6430 Re: Gilbert Barker Visible Pump - Wed Jan 25 2023 04:56 PM
Thanks
I hope it will clean up and be ok
One edge is kind of rough not sure
what happened
May be the way it was cut originally
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Gilbert Barker Visible Pump - Wed Jan 25 2023 08:38 PM
I also have seen clear and blue tinted cylinders in G&B 176’s. You should have no problem cleaning glass. Just don’t scrub so hard you scratch it. There are enough products that will work. Vinegar can get some hard stains out, but I’ve heard of people using a lot of other stuff.

PetroNuts. Com sells reproduction glass cylinders. They will also cut a cylinder down for you if it has a rough edge, but I don’t think they can guarantee it if it breaks. They are in Milford, MI.

-Steve
Posted By: john deere 6430 Re: Gilbert Barker Visible Pump - Wed Jan 25 2023 11:46 PM
Is this a very desirable pump to restore?
I have not worked with any visible pumps.
Posted By: model72 Re: Gilbert Barker Visible Pump - Thu Jan 26 2023 05:30 AM
It is a starter pump for most. Probably the most common visible pump besides the Wayne 615. The 186 is a basic hand pump with no positive stop equipment.
Posted By: john deere 6430 Re: Gilbert Barker Visible Pump - Thu Jan 26 2023 09:23 PM
What are the dimensions of the glass cylinder?
Not sure I have the right one.
How can you tell what model it is if there is no nameplate on it?
Posted By: Bill jr Re: Gilbert Barker Visible Pump - Thu Jan 26 2023 11:48 PM
Look under frequently asked questions there are cylinder charts with sizes for most pumps
Posted By: model72 Re: Gilbert Barker Visible Pump - Sat Jan 28 2023 02:13 AM
You need to post a photo so we can determine if it is a 176 or 177.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk