Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: advertologist hancock oil company 1922 - 1958 - Wed Dec 21 2022 01:52 AM
hancock's last day .. ... cool

https://www.kcet.org/shows/lost-la/...958-hancock-refinery-fire-in-signal-hill

Attached picture 1aaaahansn.PNG
Posted By: RetroPetro Re: hancock oil company 1922 - 1958 - Thu Dec 22 2022 02:37 AM
Interesting read, thanks for posting Randy.
Posted By: Gasman84470 Re: hancock oil company 1922 - 1958 - Fri Dec 23 2022 03:23 AM
That story brought back a childhood memory that was similar to the Hancock fire. I lived a block away from a ROCO (Radio Oil) refinery and went to a school kitty corner to the same refinery. It was a known fire hazard, having had a few fires already. I was in grade 3 (1962) when it went up in flames, and through most of the fire, we stayed in school. That is until a large tank full of gas was finally in jeopardy. Then the people in charge said, "What about the kids?" We assumed the cold war position for a nuclear bomb, tucked under the desk. Futile, I know, but it was the fail-safe move of the time. I guess they thought the big church between us and the fire would keep us safe. That and a lot of praying.
Finally, someone thought to evacuate us from the school by walking us out the back door and away through the school grounds. The tank never blew, and the fire was contained. The ROCO refinery was shut down. It was considered contaminated and was unused except as a storage facility. In 1978, ROCO was sold to Husky.
Posted By: Shellubrication Re: hancock oil company 1922 - 1958 - Sat Dec 24 2022 09:25 PM
Good story…

And nice picture!
Posted By: Carnation71 Re: hancock oil company 1922 - 1958 - Sun Dec 25 2022 09:20 PM
I love watching old TV shows much more than new shows. One of my all-time favorite shows is Adam 12. There is one episode that shows the police car driving by a Hancock gas station, with a large sign out front. It's only a split second that it shows it. There is a Standard gas station in the early episodes that Pete and Jim always drive by and a large Standard sign I drool over!
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk