Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Robert Mathews Electric car charger in old pump - Thu May 26 2022 11:16 PM
I hope this is appropriate here. I just wanted to show off the Bennett 646 pump that I converted to hold my electric car charger, with an original Veeder-Root display unit that shows the actual kilowatt-hours (gallons) and dollars consumed by the car:

https://www.thisoldpump.com/

(That website is mostly for people who walk by it in my yard and want to know what it is, but it has links to pictures etc.)

It was a fun project that took me about four months.

I also want to publicly thank Tom Buckles at GasPumps.us, who sold me the beautifully restored Veeder-Root computer and variator, then went above and beyond to help when I couldn't originally get it working with the motor I wanted to use.
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Electric car charger in old pump - Thu May 26 2022 11:52 PM
That is really awesome, Robert. I hope more people use classic gas pumps to house their electric car chargers. I imagine your custom Arduino electronics will be beyond the capabilities of most folks.

Hope it's OK to display one of your photos here to illustrate your story.

Attached picture IMG_0600.JPG
Posted By: Tankar Re: Electric car charger in old pump - Fri May 27 2022 12:49 AM
Nice pump
Posted By: mcgas Re: Electric car charger in old pump - Fri May 27 2022 01:18 AM
What's old is new again and in a very cool way!! - thanks for sharing (and providing some inspiration!)
Posted By: SandPCollector Re: Electric car charger in old pump - Fri May 27 2022 02:12 AM
That is one ingenious idea!
Posted By: Gasman84470 Re: Electric car charger in old pump - Fri May 27 2022 05:20 AM
Amazing what you thought of and did to combine the old gas and new electron dispensing for vehicles.
Posted By: tbuckles Re: Electric car charger in old pump - Fri May 27 2022 12:17 PM
A brilliant idea that turned out perfect. Like it or not, electric vehicles are here to stay and ideas like this will keep these old pumps relevant for future generations. Nice work and honored to help a cool idea become reality.
Tom.
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: Electric car charger in old pump - Fri May 27 2022 08:45 PM
Now that's using your noodle,and Gas Pump. wink
Posted By: jeepxj Re: Electric car charger in old pump - Thu Jun 23 2022 12:48 AM
Ever since I charged at a local ice cream place i've had this idea. https://www.plugshare.com/location/176997 bravo for doing it. you've inspired me to actually go through with it. Arduino Ordered. Any way I can snag your info on driving the computer and the issues you ran into? Undersized stepper?
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk