Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Rick S. Pump paint job - Thu Jan 20 2022 12:13 AM
When I restored my first pump 20 years ago, I knew a guy that could paint it for me.
Got a nice straight pump that I want to tackle, but don't know anyone to paint it.
My 1st pump costed $200 to paint, so I'm sure that I'll be in for a surprise this time.
It's a rust-free M&S 80 ad top pump. Very minimal body work & one color, blue.
Can anyone give me an idea of what it should cost? Thanks Rick
Posted By: Yellow57 Re: Pump paint job - Thu Jan 20 2022 12:49 AM
In todays world good luck if you can find anybody to do it, and then if you do probably more than pump is worth!
Posted By: PLUM_72 Re: Pump paint job - Thu Jan 20 2022 12:55 AM
Anymore you need to find a guy that can do side work and paint out of his garage. You might take this opportunity to learn how to do this yourself. Lots of good you tube how to videos. Several places like Eastwood have mail order paint supplies. You may find that you could try to paint the pump, maybe screw up a few times and have to sand it down, and still be ahead of what someone may charge.
Posted By: coopwyo Re: Pump paint job - Thu Jan 20 2022 05:28 PM
I just bought a quart of paint and hardener, and a quart of sealer and hardener last night and together they cost $211.00. A quart will only do the doors on our pump, so you will spend considerably more than that just for the paint materials for yours.

That also was for single stage paint, if you go base/clear it will be double that.
Posted By: Jolly-John Re: Pump paint job - Thu Jan 20 2022 05:48 PM
Yes, costs for today's automotive quality paint materials can be quite a reality check, if you haven't purchased any in awhile. Just hope you don't need a red color! John
Posted By: Rick S. Re: Pump paint job - Thu Jan 20 2022 09:47 PM
Sorry, about that. I am a good spray can painter! Logistics will not allow me to take up the sport. Looking online, I noticed that Macco paints most things. Anyone ever try them?
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Pump paint job - Thu Jan 20 2022 09:54 PM
I used Maaco a few times. They never disappointed and I was completely happy. They only charged $500 when I first started using them years ago and it eventually went up to $650. That included body work, prep, primer and paint!! Couldn’t beat it.

I actually used the Maaco by you on Dixie and Telegraph, but the new owner said no more gas pumps and they let the old manager go (Marty). Marty was a great guy. I don’t know if you knew JR Adler from Waterford (he just passed away), but he used the Maaco on Dixie religiously.

I haven’t been there in about two years, so try them again and please let me know. Good luck.

I know it’s hard to tell in a picture, but both of these were a Dixie / Telegraph Maaco paint job….. they did the exterior and interior (note this is two different pumps that I did (they just look the same… 39 & 300).

Attached picture 90AFDD84-CC2B-434A-B946-70A532DF5805.jpeg
Attached picture 5E70537B-35EC-41B6-B524-493306779BED.jpeg
Attached picture 7636CAC5-CEF5-42F5-9F25-7BEFA5859129.jpeg
Attached picture 2811035E-D81B-4A66-A553-6DF7F4F2C0BB.jpeg
Posted By: Rick S. Re: Pump paint job - Thu Jan 20 2022 10:22 PM
I did talk to Jr a few years ago about his painter. He gave that recommendation. The next time I talked to him he said the same as you did. I'll give them a shot.
If they don't want to, the search will begin. What a drag about Jr. I could listen to him tell stories for hours. He told me he was retiring at 90. He lied! it was in his blood.
Posted By: toplescuda Re: Pump paint job - Fri Jan 21 2022 02:07 AM
What is a top ad pump?
Posted By: Rick S. Re: Pump paint job - Fri Jan 21 2022 09:21 AM
Martin & Schwartz model 80.

Attached picture adpump1.jpg
Posted By: fleetcmat Re: Pump paint job - Sat Jan 22 2022 01:57 PM
Hi Rick, If you have an interest in traveling to NE Ohio I can see if the man that paints my pumps is interested in taking on a new client. He is a full time body man and does side work out of his house. Let me know.
Posted By: Rick S. Re: Pump paint job - Sat Jan 22 2022 10:38 PM
That sound good. I'm a one pump every 2 decades kind of guy but do have a few projects that may break out this spring. Quite a drive for us, but the antiques out your way are always fun to go to. I'm hoping to get going around April or May. Thanks!
Posted By: keithia Re: Pump paint job - Sun Jan 23 2022 02:17 AM
I would not touch that pump. Leave it as is. Great looking patina pump!!
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Pump paint job - Sun Jan 23 2022 07:50 AM
Originally Posted by keithia
I would not touch that pump. Leave it as is. Great looking patina pump!!

I agree 100%. Now that I see that pump, I think it looks cool, as is.
Posted By: Rick S. Re: Pump paint job - Sun Jan 23 2022 11:19 AM
Interesting. I have been thinking make it perfect so that the wife "might" let me put it in the living room. There really isn't room for it.
Got tons of room in my 3/4 full 2 car garage. The plan is to convert it to a budget man-cave & park the cars in the driveway. (already there now).
Maybe I could just rewire it to light up & call it done. Hmm
Posted By: toplescuda Re: Pump paint job - Sun Jan 23 2022 09:54 PM
Being my site glass is above the door. Don't guiess I can add a ad top
Pretty cool pump

Attached picture 20201205_145821.jpg
Posted By: gasmansgp Re: Pump paint job - Mon Jan 24 2022 01:04 AM
Your version on the MS80 is called a Cyclops. Paul www.severngaspumps.com
Posted By: cggas Re: Pump paint job - Mon Jan 24 2022 03:09 AM
Nope, not just the sightglass but also the way the nozzle goes into the top on your pump. Still a great pump, love the tall 80 cyclops tops!
Posted By: redmike Re: Pump paint job - Tue Jan 25 2022 12:57 AM
Another voice here saying to leave it in it's original patina! That way some of its history still shows! Good luck!
Posted By: Rick S. Re: Pump paint job - Tue Jan 25 2022 01:20 AM
I'm convinced.
As I look at pumps for sale on Craigs & Facebook groups, It would seem prices are for the paint job. Lots of $500 pumps asking up to $2k.
I like a nice paint job, but wow!
Not picking sides since I like restored & unrestored. Just an observation.
Posted By: cggas Re: Pump paint job - Tue Jan 25 2022 01:59 AM
Ya that Sunoco is awesome. I wouldn’t do anything except clean it up & be done!
Posted By: Vinniem Re: Pump paint job - Tue Jan 25 2022 01:33 PM
Rick
I’m no expert and I remember paying about $100 for my first pump paint job.
Those days are gone - I’m having a pump painted here in Colorado and a very reasonable paint job will run upwards of $600
Hope that helps
Vinnie
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Pump paint job - Wed Jan 26 2022 02:39 AM
Not sure how you guys are getting pumps done for $600. Basecoat paint at its cheapest is $60 quart (times 2, $120), clear is at least $120 gallon with hardener. Catalyzed primer is $100 a gallon min. Then you have to strip the old paint down, hours and hours of labor, bodywork, multiple coats of primer. Then you FINALLY paint. If someone asked me to paint a pump for $600 I'd show them the door.
Posted By: gasmansgp Re: Pump paint job - Wed Jan 26 2022 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by Paul Bell
Not sure how you guys are getting pumps done for $600. Basecoat paint at its cheapest is $60 quart (times 2, $120), clear is at least $120 gallon with hardener. Catalyzed primer is $100 a gallon min. Then you have to strip the old paint down, hours and hours of labor, bodywork, multiple coats of primer. Then you FINALLY paint. If someone asked me to paint a pump for $600 I'd show them the door.
Agreed. It makes no sense to work for free.
Posted By: Gpmp Re: Pump paint job - Wed Jan 26 2022 02:20 PM
Agreed, Wouldn't paint pump for under $1000. Materials are very expensive and alot of labor involved. It would have to be really nice to do it for that. And I work for a Paint Company! LOL
Posted By: Clunkmeister Re: Pump paint job - Sun Jan 30 2022 01:02 AM
I bought I’d try painting my first vehicle, a 55 F100. I broke it down into its component parts, old trucks are cool that way, did the welding, a bit of bodywork, spent eons blocking it out, priming and blocking some more, and finally shot some color.
Did all the black splash pans under the hood first, hen moved on to the exterior.
It was pretty rewarding, and it turned out great, but if I had to charge 60/hr for my time, that job cost me 50 grand minimum.
My 58 Skyliner’s going to the paint shop… 😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫

I’m gonna do my own pump though. Compared to that F100, this’ll be a walk in the park.
Posted By: Rick S. Re: Pump paint job - Sun Mar 06 2022 11:17 PM
Ok, everyone convinced me to not repaint the model 80 ad glass pump. I agree totally. I do have a question that is killing me. I already purchased restoration parts for this pump. I'm almost losing my mind pondering this idea.

Would you put any of these new parts on or just sell or save them?

New door corner moldings, new windows & rubber moldings, new hose & brass polished nozzle, new door rubber, "MY" NOS SUN Gasoline ad glass with new rubber, new yellow stripe decal kit like the original metal stripe. Maybe ask T-Way to reproduce the

Sunoco Blue decal as SUN GAS to go with my original ad glass. I know this sounds totally nuts, but????

Would this be a freak show pump, or maybe look right?
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Pump paint job - Mon Mar 07 2022 04:35 AM
Originally Posted by toplescuda
Being my site glass is above the door. Don't guiess I can add a ad top
Pretty cool pump

I'm making a kit to convert plain tops to ad glass tops. You would lose the patina though. I posted one I was converting last week or so on oldgas. You would have to remove the site glasses.

https://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=774922#Post774922
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk